the future of van life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newbie here just wondering what the future may bring re: the future of van life with the rising trend of the use of  wheeled vehicles as homes. Seems that interest and growth has increased tremendously due to the cost of traditional housing and most van dwellers do it out out of choice and necessity.  
Will the authorities eventually start cracking down on people using traveling homes as permanent residences, especially with the new census next year?
Another reason for pressure from the authorities will come from them because of the rise of the homelessness and the ones that can afford to purchase vehicles, rather than living in a tent.
I see that happening here in Hawaii with the beach parks banning overnight parking, I'm sure due to pressure from the hotel owners and high end beach house owners that have more political clout than a loose knit van dwellers. 
Just thinking out loud and wondering what others thoughts are on this issue.

Just for reference, there have been many threads on this exact same issue in the past, and with almost the identical thread name.

There are several threads here on the subject but many become too political and get deleted as you can imagine. There has always been a large group of people on the road traveling and living in vehicles by choice but when the economy gets bad there are many that by necessity look to the lifestyle because it can be done economically to survive. Many of this group of people only travel when forced to and usually short distances as fuel expenses are one of living this way higher costs. Long stays in one location has caused locals to take notice especially with the many social ills that living in poverty can spawn. One of the main goals of this forum is to help people live this lifestyle without causing problems with the public/local officials by living a healthy productive simple lifestyle and traveling or at least rotating to areas where the weather can benefit heating and cooling costs to offset the cost of traveling thereby possibly finding better living situations.

If vehicle dwelling in public spaces became more popular (for whatever reason) in a city like San Francisco (population 5 million) you could have a crisis. If a tiny fraction (say a half percent) of SF decided to live in their vehicles that would mean quarter million vehicles being lived in at one time in public space. Whew lad. That would be a mess so I can see why city governments are watching this.

I live in SF and have for the past xx years, My first house cost $17,000 I sold it for 350K The house I live in now cost $192K 28 Years ago $1,000.000 plus now the only reason I bought a house was so nobody could tell me to move out because the house is for sale... So go ahead and hate me for being a "paper Millionair" Are you in San Francisco?