How can I find a mechanic near me who makes house calls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ha! I'm laughing because that's such a complicated question, asked so simply.
The body is the 1998 model.
Which probably means it was assembled in 1997.
However, the engine had been replaced, perhaps a year before I purchased the van in 2017.
And the replacement engine was not new, but an AutoZone rebuild, so no tellin' how long it had been on the road before that.

I regret that I can't provide a more specific answer, even for myself!
But I'm guessing the engine has had about 50,000 miles put on it since the rebuild.

My plan is to wait until after the holidays, and then let a mechanic "refresh" the engine as needed for rain protection and gas mileage. I read that this engine should get as much as 19 mpg, but I seem to be getting only 10 mpg. I'd love to have that improved.

Theres many variables that can affect fuel mileage. I had a 93 and 95 Suburbans with the 350 motor, the 93 had more power and better fuel mileage. Same diff gears and anything else I could find, same transmissons. I noticed a difference in the timing specs, so started timing it with the older specs (whatever degrees BTC the older one spec-ed). Not sure if it ever made any significant difference or not, the transmission blew up in the 95.

What diff gear ratio (both of mine were 3.73 ratio), what weight youre dragging around in the vehicle or towing, wind profile, how the computer is set up, all can play a part in fuel mileage. Ill get the 95 back running at some point and look into if the computer can be reprogrammed to give better fuel mileage. The 93 was getting around 15-16-ish, 17 on the road once or twice. The 95 was getting 14-ish mpg pretty steady, maybe 15 on the road at best. Hook a trailer on either and it instantly plummeted to around 10 mpg.

A lot depends on running gear. My old 1987 Suburban 4x4 with a freshly rebuilt 350 cubic inch, throttle body injection, 1 ton axles with 4.11 gearing and newer electronic transmission gets a little over 10 miles per gallon no matter what it is towing or where it is going. It cost 1/3 of what a new truck goes for but I spend almost 1/2 again for fuel as a new truck owner. My solution is to only use the Suburban when towing and use other transportation like my electric bike or Samurai for all other local travel.

"White Cloud", there's a roll of jokes.

To me, the name has serious meaning. It's the Native American name given to me at age 4. I still remember the little ceremony where several of us boys were named. I was given "Little White Cloud" because my hair was so blond that it was almost almost white. The name is also a trigger for membering related events, such as when my mother stood outside in the strong blowing rain and called out to the sky, "Make it lightning, God!", and almost immediately the sky double-flashed brightly. Then she yelled, "Now make the thunder boom and roll!".... and it did!

Things like that you never forget, nor lose the feelings they drove into your heart. My mother was amazing!

Now, some might be offended by such a slander.
Me?
That is going on my new business-cards... thanks!

On another forum someone commented that my posts were longer than average, I replied "I made a short post once".

Im blaming it on Irish heritage.

This is an example of NOT too wordy. Proof good videos can be made without vast amounts of useless chatter. These guys are great for vehicle repair instruction.

One popular youtube guy that does shooting stuff has 20-25+ minute videos. i fast forward through most of the droning to about 5 minutes of interesting stuff.

Last edited:
can't take it to the local mechanic and leave it, because the van is my home! And he told me the building owner does not allow anyone to stay on the property overnight.

I saw a YouTube where a guy rented a U-Haul to temporarily live in while his van was being worked on. I guess it was cheaper than a motel.

If you get the 10' truck it's $20/day. And if you don't buy the insurance that's about it. A little more than a $1 a mile so if you keep it to a minimum it's definitely cheaper.

can't take it to the local mechanic and leave it, because the van is my home! And he told me the building owner does not allow anyone to stay on the property overnight.

I saw a YouTube where a guy rented a U-Haul to temporarily live in while his van was being worked on. I guess it was cheaper than a motel.
I like the Uhaul van solution because it ALSO give me a place to keep my valuables with me and not be as stressed about the mechanic stealing something. Well - besides his bill taking my money, of course. :)

Just make sure to put a lock on the roll up door before you close it for the night. That way it can't be secured from outside while you're inside.

Just make sure to put a lock on the roll up door before you close it for the night. That way it can't be secured from outside while you're inside.

I don't have a rollup door, but that's great advice for anyone who does!

I did almost put a lock on the outside that someone could have placed a key or combination lock through, preventing me from opening it from inside or out! But someone here quickly pointed out how foolish an idea that was (for several reasons). In fact, the security I have now is mostly taken from what people have advised me on this forum! Again, I thank you for the thought. ;)

That was meant regarding a temp uhaul rental while your vehicle is being worked on.

You wouldn't want to get locked in on accident or on purpose lol

A few years back I met a young woman who attended Horse and Dog shows. She was explaining to me that she had had an RV but keeping it operational was too much of a headache for her. So she just stayed at motels.

She went on explaining that at these shows there were traveling mechanics & RV tech's who followed all kinds of shows at large Civic Centers to offer their services. They were regular businesses and took credit cards as payment.
Further they were always in demand.

As for "local" I wouldn't know, but these traveling groups are always on the move and some may be passing thru your area. Here is a link that may be helpful:

BeginRV com

A few years back I met a young woman who attended Horse and Dog shows. She was explaining to me that she had had an RV but keeping it operational was too much of a headache for her. So she just stayed at motels.

She went on explaining that at these shows there were traveling mechanics & RV tech's who followed all kinds of shows at large Civic Centers to offer their services. They were regular businesses and took credit cards as payment.
Further they were always in demand.

As for "local" I wouldn't know, but these traveling groups are always on the move and some may be passing thru your area. Here is a link that may be helpful:

BeginRV com

Interesting. A few years ago I had the idea to do that for a part time seasonal gig for being a snowbird. Thought it would be a good way to make a living while staying mobile.

I found a mechanic who has a small shop on a short industrial side street across from an open field. There was no problem with my staying in that field overnight so that he could test the engine cold in the morning (...about the only time the problem goes crazy in all its glory). That worked out well, proving that the fuel pump is the problem and nothing else is. I'll call him after the weather's current blast of cold -- probably Wednesday -- to do the work.

Thanks again for all your supportive comments!

Very glad you're getting it taken care of. And your have a good diagnostic tool for future use

On a side note, I would check codes on a semi regular basis, even if the check engine light isn't lit up. Many ECUs have a list of pending codes that it's monitoring before it confirms and turns the light on.

The last two mechanics I've got were from wandering the neighbourhood I was living in and any semi-industrial parts nearby. That is, looking for backyard/word-of-mouth types without a flashy shop. Just asking basically..

Both mechanics were reliable but real characters. I stayed with each for as long as I lived in each town. Was always a cashy job for them and my old bombs stayed on the road.

Latest posts