Temporary/movement tags

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
At the end of April I'll be leaving Maryland and heading to Florida to pick up my trailer.  Once I have my trailer, I'll be traveling to Nevada where I will be setting up residency and building out the trailer.  

My question is whether I will need a temporary or movement tag on the trailer.  Others who have bought from this vendor and taken the trailer to another state have not needed anything but then again they only traveled one or two states over -- not 2700 miles like I will be doing.  

I can't find anything on the FL DMV website and every time I've called I've been told that representatives are busy and to call again later.  

I feel pretty certain that so long as I have my bill of sale and other paperwork showing that the purchase was made less than 20-30 days ago (I expect to take about 10 days to get to NV), that I should be okay if I'm stopped.  

Anyone had experience with this?

I haven't had a temp tag but in my travels all over the country I've seen lots of small trailers with no tag on them.

Unless you're driving wierdly, I don't think the cops are going to bother you.

Try searching for info at highway patrol sites in a couple of states you will be driving through?

Like with so many other things, every state will be different.

You may have better luck emailing them with your question.

Be sure to include the size and weight of the trailer because the licensing varies dependent on those factors.

I found when trying to call someplace like a DMV that it pays to repeatedly call until you get through to a live body. Frustrating at best, but a comfy seat, a good book, a long tall drink and a lot of patience sometimes works. But then the answer you get is verbal and will sometimes depend on who you get to talk to. That's why email is sometimes best and then you can print off the official answer.

Good luck.

I was going to email FL but their email form required information about the vehicle that I don't have as a required field. I called a couple times but instead of putting you on hold, they tell you to call later and disconnect. It's never easy. :(

like "slow2day" said every state is different. maybe try Nevada because that's your destination. if you get a temp in one state it should be good everywhere. if it was me I would just go for it, YMMV. highdesertranger

All 50 US states have reciprocity laws.

Now this can get complicated. But I'm keeping the answer focused on this situation.

If you buy it legally for personal use, in Florida, and they put a paper 'dealer' tag on it and hand you a bill of sale, then that is legal in any state you will be driving thru, or to. You will (most likely) not be paying the sales tax in Florida. People do this all the time. When you get to Nevada, or where-ever you are setting up residency, you will pay the registration fees there, including a vehicle sales tax, assuming they have one. Then they will provide you the trailer tag for that state.

I have purchased multiple vehicles and a few trailers out-of-state and this is always how it works.

(Disclaimer: Due to past discussions on a related subject, I need to say that I am not giving advice for Canada or Mexico but you won't be traveling thru those countries to arrive in Nevada from Florida.) 

You have nothing to worry about. 

Have fun.

Florida has an electronic print on demand system for dealers to issue temporary tags to purchasers. [ETR]
You should ask WeeRoll if they will be giving you a temp tag to get you to your destination.
Dealers and manufacturers couldn't survive if they can't sell you a car/trailer/etc. and send you legally on your way.
You should check again with WeeRoll.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicl...m-etr/dealer-frequently-asked-questions-faqs/

I suggest calling the Non-Emergency # for the state police dept. Ask for an officer (the dispatcher if they answer will probably blow you off) Ask them if you need a tag to exit the state one way. Tell them you have tried many time to get through to the DMV with no luck and that you need to leave asap. Just an idea. I've seen the mexicans hauling vehicles and everything towed to the border and I never see them have any temp plates. Many times they will have a sign on it that " IN TOW" . Hope this helps. David

Well, I'm not a trailer guy but just had a thought, it might be worthwhile to notify your insurance company that your going to be pulling a new trailer. See what they say you need to be insured. Someone will chime in with their experience ....

A legal paper plate makes you 100% legit.
Tow without one...and you are at the cops mercy beside the highway.
If he has your trailer towed and screws your trip up...even if you are vindicated in court, you will still have to wait and pay all the tow/impound fees.
(This has happened to folks just for pulling a car dolly without a tag.)
Getting a paper plate from the dealer is the wise choice.
Make sure you know where to pay your sales tax, if any.
(Connecticut, for example, calls it "sales/USE tax" which means even if you had already paid it to Florida...they collect it again.)