Solo female safety/security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MeiraNomadRN said:
a couple mice, chipmunks, deer, and raccoons. 
I forgot to include rodents on my list of animal attacks I have survived. Just last night I had a major attack from a rodent. I saw his back legs disappearing, then woke up to find his leftover dinner: three apples and a stick of butter! My bad for leaving food out. Food rule number one: put it away. Funny that I am writing about the rodent when there is bear sign on the road here, and the local newscast reports shootings, thefts, etc.  ~crofter

While training at Frontsight in Pahrump, I noticed that at least half the class members were women, and that's encouraging. One of the top guns in the class was a woman using a small single stack semi-automatic pistol. For women considering a firearm, those single stack semi-automatic pistols look sweet, and are easier to carry and conceal on a woman's curves. The double stack semi-auto's (think Glock) are harder to conceal, but not impossible with stiffer clothing. The garment I used was a starched cotton shirt, nothing fancy, and it worked fine.    ~crofter

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/06/06/top-4-picks-for-single-stack-pistols-video

some single stacks demonstrated

https://us.glock.com/en

compare to offerings from Glock, the Glock Gen5 looks to be much improved and comes in colors, but it's still a big fat gun (I find that big fat gun comforting when I need to draw it). Harder to be accurate with a smaller firearm.    ~crofter

The statistics say that if you have a gun you are much more likely to be killed in an encounter.Many times with your own gun.I think a firearm would be prudent in a domestic abuse situation.Most anyone else is going to attack you when you are most vulnerable and not give you warning or come straight at you.I think the worst part about having a gun is the false sense of security it gives.I personally own several guns,but I depend on locked doors and situational awareness to keep me alive.

1shemp said:
The statistics say that if you have a gun you are much more likely to be killed in an encounter.Many times with your own gun . . .

Who's statistics?

Spaceman Spiff said:
Who's statistics?

Harvard University in this article:

Experts from a Harvard study found that, when faced with an attacker, the likelihood of injury was approximately the same (10.9 percent) when the victim tried to use a gun in self defense versus when they did nothing (11 percent). Those experts went on to remark to The Washington Post: “Running away and calling the police were associated with a reduced likelihood of injury after taking action; self-defense gun use was not.”

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultu...nra-dana-loesch-guns-women-self-defense-myth/

There will always be, and always have been, bad people around. I grew up at a time when I wandered far from home by bicycle, skates or on foot all day long, both in rural areas and cities. I was always more in danger in my own home than I was out and about. So I have always had a fearless personality.

I have had people talk to me in strange places that others would have shot first and asked questions later based on appearances. What I have found personally is that many people are simply lonely. They want someone to listen to them and treat them with kindness. Kindness is a rarity in today's world of suspicion and fear. I have had grown men cry and young males fist bump me after I spent an hour or so listening to them, seeing them as a human being, not a statistic or a stereotype. I have always lived my life like this. Could it cost me my life at some time? Perhaps. So could going to a Walmart or driving across country in an aging van or Honda Fit, or slipping on my ice covered front steps at my S&B. I'd rather live my life on my terms than within society's dictates.

It is my philosophy, personally, that the vibe you give off is often the vibe you receive back. If you are fearful and suspicious, that's a notable aura. If you treat your fellow humans as enemies until proven as friends, most likely you will meet enemies. This does not replace caution and situational awareness; rather it is a choice as to how you move through life.

I have never been able to reconcile the choice to shoot another person, so I do not carry anymore, although I have under pressure from a spouse in the past. Plus, just keeping up with the laws through various states is too much trouble to me. I do have defensive weapons. We all do, whether we think of them as such or not.

Be aware. Trust your gut. And treat others with kindness. If you die living your best life, then you've left the Earth a better place, no matter what the headlines may read.

SheketEchad said:
It is my philosophy, personally, that the vibe you give off is often the vibe you receive back. 
.... Be aware.
Very good. There have been a number of previous threads on this same topic. One of the major lessons was .... "First, don't act or look like a victim".

Carla618 said:
Harvard University in this article:
Experts from a Harvard study ...went on to remark to The Washington Post: “Running away and calling the police were associated with a reduced likelihood of injury after taking action....”
The quote that was posted states "reduced likelihood of injury after taking action" Exactly what action are they advocating? 

The last time I had to call the cops due to being fired on it took them 12 hours to respond. I did leave the area for a while to call them, so that was good for me, but then I returned to my post where the problem was. If anyone in the crowd that stayed behind had been hit, they could have died due to the slow emergency response. Fortunately for everyone, the armed assailant was a really bad shot and eventually stopped firing. Someone from the crowd (armed) did confront the shooter. I really thought that law enforcement would help us out, but they did not respond that night and no arrest was made. In my experience, calling the cops is legally required, but is not a defense. Running away to safety is good, gets you out of there but does not stop the shooter.  If you can't escape, eventually you will have to solve your own problem.    ~crofter

Or you could put this on and get the dog to woof em out of there. Works every time.    ~crofter

For the clueless, would you briefly mention what your "post" was?

Qxxx said:
For the clueless, would you briefly mention what your "post" was?
I was responding to post number 46 in this thread by Carla618 who is quoting something from the Washington Post newspaper.  It talks about taking action but does not state what action they advocate taking. I'm clueless too. Then I related a recent incident and what I experienced. 

But I will stop playing Emerson Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man" now. After a full alert by the Great Dane including barking and howling with abandon at their sound, the dog is now giving me dirty looks from her bed. She hates that.    ~crofter

Lucky Man

"He had white horses
And ladies by the score
All dressed in satin
And waiting by the door

Ooh, what a lucky man he was

White lace and feathers
They made up his bed
A gold covered mattress
On which he was laid

He went to fight wars
For his country and his king
Of his honor and his glory
The people would sing

A bullet had found him
His blood ran as he cried
No money could save him
So he laid down and he died

Ooh, what a lucky man he was"

(Thanks Emerson Lake and Palmer)

Ah so, on both counts. The Dane may like this one better.

crofter said:
I was responding to post number 46 in this thread by Carla618 who is quoting something from the Washington Post newspaper.  It talks about taking action but does not state what action they advocate taking. I'm clueless too. Then I related a recent incident and what I experienced. 

Sorry, that wasn't the best link. I grabbed the first one from a university that came up in Google. I knew that guns made women less safe, because I've read it many times over the years. Here is a better explanation:

The researchers [from University of Pennsylvania] matched these "controls" for age, race and gender. They found that those with firearms were about 4.5 times more likely to be shot than those who did not carry, utterly belying this oft repeated mantra.

The reasons for this, the authors suggest, are manifold. "A gun may falsely empower its possessor to overreact, instigating and losing otherwise tractable conflicts with similarly armed persons. Along the same lines, individuals who are in possession of a gun may increase their risk of gun assault by entering dangerous environments that they would have normally avoided. Alternatively, an individual may bring a gun to an otherwise gun-free conflict only to have that gun wrested away and turned on them."

This result is not particularly unexpected. Prof David Hemenway of Harvard school of public health has published numerous academic investigations in this area and found that such claims are rooted far more in myth than fact. While defensive gun use may occasionally occur successfully, it is rare and very much the exception – it doesn't change the fact that actually owning and using a firearm hugely increases the risk of being shot. This is a finding supported by numerous other studies in health policy, including several articles in the New England Journal of Medicine. Arguments to the contrary are not rooted in reality; the Branas study also found that for individuals who had time to resist and counter in a gun assault, the odds of actually being shot actually increased to 5.45 fold relative to an individual not carrying.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/03/guns-and-lies-in-america-sign-up-newsletter
The problem goes deeper than this, however. There's good evidence that the very act of being in possession of a weapon has an unfortunate effect of making us suspect others have one too. This was shown in a 2012 paper by psychologists Prof Jessica Witt and Dr James Brockmole, where subjects were given either a replica gun or a neutral object and asked to identify the objects other people were holding.

Subjects in possession of a replica firearm were much more likely to identify a neutral object as a firearm. The erroneous assumption that someone else is armed can and does often end in tragedy.

Indeed, the evidence suggests the very act of being armed changes one's perception of others to a decidedly more paranoid one. Other studies have shown an element of racial priming too, where a black subject is more likely to be assumed to be carrying a weapon. Guns have a curious psychological effect beyond this: a 2006 study by Dr Jennifer Klinesmith and colleagues showed men exposed to firearms before an experiment had much higher testosterone levels and were three times more likely to engage in aggressive behaviour relative to the subjects not primed with a weapon.

LaPierre's proclamation bears the hallmarks of a litany of misconceptions. Gun aficionados often frame the debate in terms of protection, but it is vital to realise that the vast majority of rape and murder victims are not harmed by nefarious strangers, but by people they know, and often love – friends, family members, lovers. Far from protecting people and keeping families safe, the sad truth is that firearms are often used in episodes of domestic violence. The John Hopkins centre for gun policy research has some sobering facts on this; women living in a home with one or more guns were three times more likely to be murdered; for women who had been abused by their partner, their risk of being murdered rose fivefold if the partner owned a gun.

Nor did guns make the women safer; women who purchased guns were 50% more likely to be killed by an intimate partner. So LaPierre's "good woman with a gun" is actually, it seems, putting herself in danger.

More:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2013/mar/25/guns-protection-national-rifle-association

crofter said:
I don't live or travel in PA.    ~crofter

Just two sentences referred to the U of P research. Other research in the article came from:

Harvard school of public health
New England Journal of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
John Hopkins

Or... did I miss the joke?:)

crofter said:
I don't live or travel in PA.    ~crofter
To clarify, I don't live or travel in the states you are citing. (PA, NJ, MD, New England area) Being helpless does not help  anyone, and I am surprised to find you on here advocating for others to be helpless in the wilderness. If you choose to be helpless, that is your personal choice.  There is no answer in your reply post to the  question posed, QUOTE from post 46 "Experts from a Harvard study ...went on to remark to The Washington Post: “Running away and calling the police were associated with a reduced likelihood of injury after taking action....”   What action are they referring to?    ~crofter

crofter said:
To clarify, I don't live or travel in the states you are citing. (PA, NJ, MD, New England area) Being helpless does not help  anyone, and I am surprised to find you on here advocating for others to be helpless in the wilderness. If you choose to be helpless, that is your personal choice.  There is no answer in your reply post to the  question posed, QUOTE from post 46 "Experts from a Harvard study ...went on to remark to The Washington Post: “Running away and calling the police were associated with a reduced likelihood of injury after taking action....”   What action are they referring to?    ~crofter

See posts 44 & 45 to understand why I replied.

Doesn't matter where you live. That has nothing to do with the research cited. The researchers work at those universities. Doesn't mean the stats refer to people in those states specifically.

I assume the Washington Post quote is about getting away from the attacker by any means other than with a gun versus those who attempted to escape an attacker using a gun.

I'm not advocating that anyone be "helpless".  I'm in agreement with the person who said guns don't make women safer (based on research).

BTW, I loved that song (Lucky Man) when I was in 7th grade (around 1970)

Going to the source 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-defense-six-more-are-used-to-commit-a-crime/

The title of the article says it all
[font=Postoni, BodoniSvtyTwoITCTT-Book, georgia, serif]"For every gun used in self-defense, six more are used to commit a crime"[/font]

[font=Postoni, BodoniSvtyTwoITCTT-Book, georgia, serif]Above link for anyone who wants to read the washington post article for themselves.    ~crofter[/font]