Nomad maintenance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago my wife got an oil change at Sears on our Subaru 4wd wagon. After about 180 miles the tranny developed a slight whine so I checked & they had drained the tranny & double filled the oil. I wood have settled for a few hundred $$ but they had a transaxle shipped in from the west coast. I was ready to leave for bear hunter so I made them rent me a truck. All in it cost them well over $5k but they were good & took care of it. 3 points, everyone checks the oil after changing it, gear lube smells much stronger than oil, new min wake employee probably didn't get the training he needed.

I try to find a spot with a storm drain and park over it and let my oil drain into it. That way when it rains the drain pipe gets lubricated and the water flows better (just don’t drop the drain plug). If in the national forest I dig a hole next to an environmentally protected plant and let it drain. When the plant absorbs the oil it will protect it from infection from disease and water will bead up on its leaves and give it a shiny more pleasant appearance.
You don't either!

I try to find a spot with a storm drain and park over it and let my oil drain into it. That way when it rains the drain pipe gets lubricated and the water flows better (just don’t drop the drain plug). If in the national forest I dig a hole next to an environmentally protected plant and let it drain. When the plant absorbs the oil it will protect it from infection from disease and water will bead up on its leaves and give it a shiny more pleasant appearance.
So I have to ask… when you changed the oil in your towboat dumping the oil in the river, did the river run faster all lubed up like that? Assuming you had a towboat by your handle/ name. Haha.
But… to the original poster… bringing tools does give you options. But they take valuable space and weigh a lot. I have a toy hauler for a trailer. So I can afford a little extra weight. But still have to pick and chose what to bring. Like… tools or toys… now not having a dog who had a four wheeler I can leave that and just use an e-bike. Also, traveling with others… usually between you all someone has “that tool”.

Latest posts