Prius and Safety?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theme57

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am planning on modifying my Gen III Prius into a camper setup for countrywide travel between rural and urban areas, though I would mostly sleep in more rural areas. For privacy I plan on tinting the windows to 50% (Legal in most states I plan on visiting by vehicle). I am thinking of either using the Blinds4Cars.com mesh screens and/or a curtain for an extra level of privacy when using electronics with lit screens. To set it up in a way that creates a concealed cabin where only the front seats are visible and free of clutter and make my vehicle less appealing. I understand danger is everywhere and the basic rules of being aware of surroundings, trust your instincts, etc. I am originally from Los Angeles and stealth camped for about 5 months there; I am no stranger to danger. I worked hotel security where we had a bad few months of car break ins from Oakland criminals. I saw they usually targeted the cleaner newer vehicles where they could clearly see belongings (through 35% tinted windows) without even triggering the alarm during the DAY!

I plan to have the sensitivity of my vehicles alarm set so it wouldn't activate if I moved around the vehicle (while I sleep mostly), see if I can turn off the beeping sound when locking/unlocking the vehicle, and activate the alarm if I hear/feel someone trying to enter the vehicle. The Prius alarm is pretty loud and obnoxious. For personal defense within the vehicle I am considering pepper/bear spray (might not be the best for inside vehicle use), my fox dart trainer knife (I train in Kali and use it in classes) and a short kali stick (used in classes too and great for thrusting in tight spaces). Ideally the car alarm would scare the person off, if they still tried to enter I would grab the stick/spray and use it upon them entering if verbal threats didn't deter them. Worse case scenario, I wake up to someone already in my vehicle (possibly knowing I am inside) and have to deploy my dart followed by multiple strikes before I grab the spray/stick. Based upon the stories I have read, if they had a firearm, by the time I could react I might already be dead or injured. 

Why I steer away from firearms or lethal weapons is due to the different laws. The dart and stick are technically blunt weapons, but I figure if I pack some other martial arts gear, wouldn't arouse any suspicion if I were pulled over. The spray I doubt would arouse suspicion as well and the stick could double as a walking/hiking stick if long enough. At this point in time, I don't have the time nor training to feel comfortable enough in my ability to be grab, load, and deploy a firearm in a tight space like a Prius effectively. Hence deploying the dart first and stick/spray second if verbal threats didn't deter the perp. 

Thank you for taking the time to read through my post and comment!

I'm pretty sure those dangerous folks will do their best to avoid you.

Forget the bear spray for anything but animals -- it's only 2%, max.

If you might have to use pepper spray inside the van, get the foam or gel type, as you don't have to worry about blow-back; and it's strength can be up to 20%.

Pm Suzanne (forum member) or Brent (another forum member) who have travelled in their Prius' for years.  I have only been out for a few weeks at a time for the last 5 years, never even thought of having anything along. Partly due to my frequent border crossings, the one time I did cross back into Canada and answered "yes" to the mace/pepper spray question they immediately confiscated it... 

I suppose some kind of short baton would work. 
Wasp spray that goes out in a stream maybe... That couldn't be claimed to be a weapon, I don't think...

I would argue to use the proper tool for the job, and bearspray or a stick just isn't it. If you look into the laws, you will find that pepper-spray, sticks, and knifes all have more restrictive laws in this country then guns. I have a few threads about that subject in the Safety forum (search for them). Bearspray and Wasp spray are both completely ineffective on humans, and are in violation of Federal law to carry as defensive tools, in all 50 states.

With all that said, if you plan to spend most of your time in rural areas, you have already reduced the "threat" to you by 90%.

The next best thing is that any time there is a threat, you can - and should - just climb into the driver's seat and drive off. None of your weapons can be deployed unless you exit the car, which would be the worst thing you could do in that situation. Just drive away. If that is not possible (some bad guys have you blocked in) then your stick and alarm will do you no good at all. If this is a real concern to you, go get some training and the correct tool for the job.

Otherwise, I recommend not worrying so much about it. Outside city limits, your chances of a violent encounter is nill.

A friend of mine has had cops comment on the dark windows of her Jeep. She just says (and it's the truth): "I don't like them either, but it came this way." And that usually stops them.

Following is the list of states with basic laws on PEPPER sprays (not incl. Mace or other chemicals)/
In most cases, the restrictions are:
1. You have to be at least 18 years old.
2. You can't be a convicted felon.
3. Maximum container size limitations vary by state.
4. You can't use it irresponsibly (like as a 'joke').
5. And you usually can't use it on law enforcement officers (specifically AR & FL).
THESE are those awful "restrictions" that people keep offering as reasons not to carry it. DREADFUL, aren't they?
http://www.peppereyes.com/page/peppersprayregs

If you might have to use pepper spray inside anything, carry a spray gel or foam type rather than the mist. Even if you use it outdoors, a) you don't have to worry about wind direction, and b) you can see where it's going, because it's either white or colored, and you can see where to clean it up.

Here is what the gel looks like: http://www.sportys.com/media/catalog/product/1/4/14208_2.jpg
Here is what the foam looks like: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YhZvvR1Xx-w/maxresdefault.jpg

It is good info that TrainChaser provided. Just be aware that if you go with Pepperspray that you need to know the laws of each state/county/city before entering them (the same applies to guns of course). As the link that TrainChaser provided says, the laws vary a lot. Some restrict by type, other restrict by volume, and others by strength. What is legal in one state may not be in another. I noticed that a few states require you to register that pepperspray with the authorities, which you will not be able to do as a non-resident. Basically, some states you will just have to throw away what you have, and re-purchase after leaving that state, or risk arrest if caught with it.

I have used one of the 2.5 oz pepper sprays in the past. Less then 3 seconds of a tiny stream that shot about 6 feet and it was done. I was able to go to the point of contact and put my nose to within an inch of it, taking a big inhale, and had no effect at all. I couldn't even smell any spice or pepper from it. I'm sure I would not have been happy if it went directly into my eyes, but that would require some good aim under duress, and for the bad guy to stand still. I never bought another of those again as it is completely useless. They also happen to be the only ones legal in California.

Either way, my last statement stands. If you are outside those metro areas, you really have little to nothing to worry about with some common sense. Inside those metro areas, and I would go with nothing less than the most effective (and legal) tool for the job.

Thank you for the posts everyone. I don't see this as being an issue at all in a rural setting. Urban wise I have dwelled in some of the most dangerous areas of Los Angeles without an issue, though I wouldn't count that as a reason for boondocking in those areas again. I was thinking overall scenario wise what I would do if a situation like that occurred. The Prius doesn't lend itself to quickly getting in the front seat and making a dash away, especially with a curtain too.

ExTendO steering wheel column??? Then you can drive from the back seat!

More seriously, when you do park, try to back in or at least have an exit ahead of you, so if you did have to leave quickly, you wouldn't have to go backward, and then forward.

But like the others have said, you shouldn't have any issues outside the metro areas.

I went to RTR 2017 Changed my handle from Grunge Luggage Tours got too many empty stares when I told them my handle. I got home got out my little bull horns attached it to my prius figured it would be a good trademark and changed my handle to Geaux Prius Cowboy. IF you don't remeber me by name, I am the 6 ft tall 350 lb Louisiana guy walked with a cane. Silver Gen2 Prius with the Cargo rack on the back with a 45 gallon tote and a 60 quart ice chest. 

I just wanted to share a video I watched that I believe could help the community of Rubber tramps .  This guy is a HAM radio operator he is legally licensed to use these radios but the wonderful thing about these radios if you keep them in your group and you encounter a REAL EMERGENCY and you know how to use these radios it can save you, In theory you can have your message out there and communicate with another ham operator and have your message relayed to the right people in hours vs being stranded someplace for days maybe weeks. Granted the areas the rubber tramp frequents are no where near as remote as the Australian outback it can be every bit as dangerous when facing one of those situations that show up on TV. https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Power-Tr...=1498349930&sr=8-40&keywords=8+watt+ham+radio I have not bought these radio I am going to have a family meeting and going to suggest we get one for each family member home. Ideally we should have one for each vehicle but generally in emergency like the flood or hurricanes we use family radio for car to car com and wish to save these ham for emergency use only. I WANT TO ALERT YOU GUYS WHEN WE HAD THE FLOOD OF 2016 WE LOST CELL IF YOU HAD FACE BOOK AND WIFI YOU COULD USE THAT TO CALL PEOPLE I KNOW GO FIGURE I WAS PARKED OUTSIDE PLNT planet fitness so I had WIFI and my phone rang. We are learning new things all the time it seems?

In the video this guy teaches how you could be a part of relaying a message and how to make this system work. Top of the hour if hams listen for 2 min they can be a part of this system. No laws violated if you listen. No laws broken if you are using it to relay emergency information. Best to have that license if you speak you are in a grey area . His method for you to transmit 30 seconds your message  you transmit once every 2 min for 30 min top of the hour you do this until you make contact or reach 30 min. Range is an issue 7-10 miles without repeater but in theory if the network is tended to by other hams your message will be received and relayed. I am told these 8 watt radios can reach out over 100 miles with a repeater and if your conditions are right as with any radio having right antenna and getting high is best. Here is the glory of this if your group is disciplined enough and what I have seen by your conduct at the RTR you are ideal for this you guys can be saving lives in no time just by tuning in top of the hour for 2 min? Not only a hobby but you would be a strong part of an incredible network that is difficult to sabotage. 

Bob 5 of these radios can be purchased for less than $175 and you will be able to get out there and get your message in the right hands if you are ever in a bind. Takes a little know how but many people out here are prepared to teach you. You would like to get your license if you wanted to use the radio more joining relay clubs allows you use of towers and that is an incredible advantage when you are getting into the remote places. Satellite beacons can save your bacon but you got to really invest in it and yearly contracts ? You would want that as last option this idea can get messages to your peeps or get a tire repair fuel tank repair who knows what can happen? Heck imagine if you were out there and got a gout attack? Snowed in by a freak storm? End search and rescue and turn it into a rescue if you have a GPS location and this radio.

As for your survival in a Prius I have little experience in the Prius. I only stealth camped a few times in the car but as a FORMER trucker I can attest to these simple facts. 1 Avoid Attention by not using cash or wearing any gold, when you have to use cash plan your purchase and take JUST what you need to take out. Have one pocket with ones the other with $5 bills and the jack pot needs to be super hidden. There are clerks that will report the booby to their thug today with a simple Text or pix you are marked and you will never know it so pay attention and change up your pattern, don't always walk directly to your car sit down on a bench look around see who is watching you not like you are paranoid but like you are just taking a load off like you got all the time in the world, there are people that pay attention to who is using cash so I used my Credit card all I could when on the road just to let them know I carried no cash. Again when I did carry cash I did carry a lot of it $1K at a time Min but that money was spread out. I kept $100 bills under a foot so I walked with a limp but I would cash out a $100 bill and that would be in $5 bills. I did this for the simple fact that truckers work so damn much that they just don't pay attention to some things. Like when I bought McD paid with a $50 bill for a purchase I could have easily paid with a $5 bill and saved me a lot of trouble. I was lucky it was an honest mistake they counted down the drawer and I was paid my money but I thought that day as I dealt with this eventuality I said how could I prevent this from happening again? That is when I said $5 bills if I forgot the change off a $5 I would say oh well somebody got a little bonus. But when they give you change for a $20 when you gave them a $50 that is  a lot more than I am comfortable with giving away. See it cost you an hour to get your change you lost a lot of money just in time. Trucking time is money I ended up changing  my life where I drew as little attention to self I could. I carried a tire thumper  but you don't want to walk into the truck stop with that  so I got my hands on a walking cane. Need it  or not  walking with a cane  a nifty device to have , fend off animals, press a button that is just too far away like at the scales.

Latest posts