Traveling with firearms for security

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other question: Can pepper spray (or pesticide) (or other aerosols) explode in a hot car?
There's a warning on those cans to not exceed 120 degrees so it's possible,especially in direct sunlight.

Over the years I've only had one explode. It was one those electronic duster cans that was among a bunch of stuff that I had stored on the passenger seat.

It had fallen down next to the engine cover of my old Dodge van where it gets plenty hot. It was also a hot day and the van had no A/C.

When it popped I freaked and thought someone was shooting at me!

Question (not rhetorical): Why would you use pesticide rather than, say, pepper spray, which is made for this purpose?
It might have to do with crossing borders of Canada and Mexico. However, I have not had a problem crossing either border with “bear spray”. Mace is considered a weapon in Canada and Mexico and is prohibited. Mace is more concentrated. Nevertheless, I always inform the customs officer that I am bringing bear spray into country.

Last edited:
The people I know of in the defensive training business that specialize in pepper spray have flatly stated that wasp spray is a waste of time, basically doesnt work as people think it will in most cases, and the legal aspect is misunderstood. Its a pesticide, and using a pesticide in a manner in which its not intended is technically against federal law, but I dont think anyones ever been actually prosecuted for that in a defensive use realm. Its basically regarded as uninformed and very poor choice for defensive use. Good grade pepper works far better.

One note, some people think the pepper gel is great, but in reality it can take up to 30 seconds to start working, and a lot of bad stuff can happen in 30 seconds.Most recommend the spray in a decent name brand rather than gel. Bear spray is good, and certainly useful on bears and other wildlife.

Theres web sites with info on various states with legal limits on pepper spray, but to me, not getting some because MAYBE SOME state may have restrictions is not very good thinking. Find out, get some, if you have to go into one of those areas its restricted in some way that you dont want to deal with, ditch it and get more when you leave or stash it somewhere and come get it later.

I see this to a degree about guns, not getting one if you want/need one because SOMEONE on the internet once said SOME state or town or kingdom has restrictions, so not getting one for EVERYWHERE ELSE they arent restricted in that (whatever) way just doesnt make sense to me. If Im not seeing this clearly, someone feel free to inform me, though Ive been messing with this stuff for many years including traveling all over the western and central states and taking guns through Canada to Alaska, and MOST of the info ive seen about that is uninformed and incorrect.

Its not hard to find good up to date info on gun laws, theres a number of good websites on the subject. taking random strangers word on internet forums unfortunately can lead to large amounts of poor information being taken as legit.

A crossbow is more clumsy and hard to handle getting in and out of a vehicle than a long gun, and in general walking around or whatever in camp as it has the bow sideways to the stock, and makes a rather bulky package to handle or store.

I didn't read the entire thread, but from the last couple pages I assume that most of these potential confrontations would be located near your vehicle.

Maybe you set up some stealth floodlights and alarm with a remote. Another thought would be small cameras to go along with that. If someone confronts you, you can flood the area with light and sound. And tell them that pressing the button also turned on the cameras with an audio feed that is getting transmitted along with your GPS coordinates. That would cause someone to pause and think about their next move.

Or you can just avoid those situations as best you can.

If you go with the first option, at least you can set it up to be useable for other situations.

I spend a lot of time in remote desert areas near the border where most use white solar lights to let those trying to enter the country illegally know where to avoid if they want to do so undetected. Blue lights are used at aid/turn yourself in stations. It has worked well for us as we often find the tell tale black plastic water jugs discarded in the wash down the road just out of site from our trailer.

We ran into a couple from Alaska who re-used those discarded black gallon jugs to heat water for showers. Set them out in the sun in the morning filled with water and in the late afternoon, strip down and dump the water over your head. I guess that area used to be a smugglers highway a few years ago, but BLM law enforcement started patrolling more often so they smuggled elsewhere. Several nights we heard gunshots and one night I watched a flare hanging in the sky for several minutes.

I never felt more secure than when one evening in the twilight the Border Patrol was working with a couple A10 Warthog low flying support aircraft that maintained themselves over me a few hundred feet all of 45 minutes during my 8 mile drive down the wash from HWY 286 to Caballo Loco. Sure glad they are on our side! It was amazing to actually be able to see the pilots in the cockpits.

Yeah, if you're not the one they're after, it is kind of reassuring to know they're around when you're on those back roads (though my idea of a back road is much wimpier than yours).

I never felt more secure than when one evening in the twilight the Border Patrol was working with a couple A10 Warthog low flying support aircraft that maintained themselves over me a few hundred feet all of 45 minutes during my 8 mile drive down the wash from HWY 286 to Caballo Loco. Sure glad they are on our side! It was amazing to actually be able to see the pilots in the cockpits.
CBP uses A-10s? More likely training. Not far from a couple of air stations at Yuma and Tucson.

^^^Yeah it was when Border Patrol was coordinating I would imagine sorta of joint exercises with the military during the time the wall was being built. There were even the high tech reconnaissance planes doing low fly overs as well as a few helicopter groups. I can’t imagine with today’s technology anyone getting in illegally unnoticed. Whether or not they are intercepted or not is a totally different matter.

^ Do some checking. It's not that effective and it's also illegal:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=is+using+wasp+spray+for+self+defense+illegal?

You would probably lose a lawsuit brought by anyone you used it on.

And a fake excuse that you are allergic to stings could be easily disproved.
Well if your like me in a life or death situation I don't worry about the consequences and most lawyers would not so an individual unless you have millions in assets my 2 cents is it better than having no defense

^Of course but the thread drifted into alternatives to guns for self-defense and people should know that wasp spray isn't a very good choice.

Last edited:
In the Desert we had a couple of A10's I was controlling come in so low over the top of us, it literally sand blasted us from the airflow vortex's coming off the aircraft's surfaces. Those boys were loaded like a sailor on Friday night with weaponry, their squadron motto was "Ugly but well hung" Love those aircraft...

Cheers!