Vandwelling free secure happy with no guns or god

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying kurbmaster

Reaction score
those that advocate guns and religion please don’t bring your arguments or fears here,they are well documented, there is a Christian thread and a firearms thread for your views. However you  are welcome to read you may learn something. I would like to hear from all those  vandwelling or touring all over the world that do so without god and or guns as our opinions are removed when put on gun threads or Christian threads so I thought we can support each other here assuming that the moderators allow us to express ourselves freely and those that disagree with us are moderated as we are moderated on their threads. Do you feel secure without one or both god and or guns. I sleep all through the nights wake up relaxed and rested. I think all countries are better off with gun control and without religion based on my experience travelling in vans, bicycles, hitched, motorcycles all over the world in snake infested, wolf and bear country, through countless cities over more then 45 years and never needed either. Tell us your experience?

I’m 69 years old this year. No longer intimidating as I used to be but only twice in my life have I been threatened by someone with a gun and I never felt I needed one for protection. I only carried one while in the military. Personally I’ve had other people hand me their gun so they wouldn’t get shot with it when apprehending more than one person. I feel everyone should be required to learn certain life skills (it seems less people do nowadays) and one of those is how to responsibly handle a firearm whether they own one or not. Fear is usually caused a lack of knowledge.
Organized religion has caused more suffering and pain than it has helped people endure in my opinion and I have no use for it but it is what it is.

Agnostic here so I'll enter the thread. x2 on what Bullfrog said about religion(s).

As far as experiences traveling without guns and coming to no harm I'll just say it comes down to probability.

Some are lucky and some aren't. For some, luck doesn't play much of a part. Stupidity is their main downfall.

The sand religions have caused more despair, hatred and violence than they have ever solved. I am a major league atheist .
As for guns yes I have a gun. It isn't a toy, it is an extreme emergency solution and I do mean extreme. I was woken up at 1:30 am by a guy with a case of beer under his arm claiming to be a Walmart employee in Bozeman, MT about 4 weeks ago. I dealt with it, no gun. Like I say Extreme.
However if somebody of the antifa persuasion tried to forcibly enter my wagon I would empty a clip into them without batting an eyelash. They are trying to do stuff like this and I will not stand for my little home being trespassed into. The court will figure it out later.

Atheist here for 20 years or so, traveling for 2 months and loving life!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I think many people get wound up a bit in the dogma of organized religion when in reality they are yearning for spirituality.  It can be a thin line when the topic of religious values are brought up.

I am not a bible thumper by any means but I do find great moral teachings in most religions. It isn't that hard to find good when you look for it. Taking comparative religion courses are great and don't require a baptism.

I think pitchforks are far more fun than guns. LOL. Ill go old school up on dat a$$. If I could carry one easily in the van.. I do have a big empty wall space.. maybe I will  mount one up there.. along with a cattle prod, another highly effective deterent! 

I try my darndest to associate with spiritual people in stix life and plan to do the same in van life.
An appreciation of the bounty and beauty of this world is my religion.
And for those seeking to harm me, they should expect to be treated like a pig...zaaap..
Guns are just so impersonal.

I undestand that people have gods or spirits but I sometime think that it is a bit like sex, no one goes around talking about how it was the night before unless you are very close friends, I think talking about your god should sit in this area. I am not anti gun I own a riffle, I haven’t seen it in 30 years, I have been a vegetarian that long so no longer hunt, I know where it is but have no reason to dig it out.

When I was a kid my family attended church every Sunday but I realized at an early age (8 or 9) that religion was a scam. The mental virus of religion was a disease that infected most of the people around me.

I have nothing against guns in the hands of stable rational people but many gun owners are neither stable nor rational. In 50 years of camping I never felt the need to have a gun. I feel safe and comfortable without one.

I don't carry firearms. I don't talk about your gods. I have chased door knockers down the road with a bat. I can defend myself with a heavy stick.

You would really like my favorite movie “Secondhand Lions” and the traveling salesman scenes Weight!

Sofisintown said:
the gunless folk are not about to advertise their vulnerability.

This is the myth gun peeps pass along, gunless doesn't equal vulnerable.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

"“Secondhand Lions”"

Loved it....and the homeowners' attitude!

Yes, a bat. I have a old softball baseball bat. A leather shoelace through the handle end, and painted pink so no one mistaking thinks I'm up for a ball game.

"Religion is the elixir of the ignorant."

Forget who first stated that; it wasn't me, but its so true.

believe it was Vladimir Lenin who said that. be careful what you ask for. highdesertranger

I'm really glad to see this topic. It seems there are some Americans who think God Guns and Nationalism is what makes our country great. It is further than the facts.
I use to be a world missionary(for 20 yrs) through an evangelical faith based church. I was born to a Baptist father and a Jewish mother. I was a non practicing Jew, but became a born again Christian during my college years. I graduated with two degrees to quickly jump into the radical Christian(think of charismatic "Christians" such as Paula White, trump's spiritual adviser. Achem, need I say more.) frying pan. Today, for the last 10 yrs, I am an atheist practicing some Budhists philosophies to recently traveling in a Chevy van as a nomad.
I hope to meet like minded people on my vandwelling adventures.
Again, thanks for the topic. It's important to have an open dialogue on prickly subjects. I like gooey subjects too.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

highdesertranger said:
believe it was Vladimir Lenin who said that.  be careful what you ask for.  highdesertranger
Don't know about Lenin, but it was Karl Marx who said in effect, "religion is the opiate of the masses". The actual quote is
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_of_the_people

H
owever, it's probably not a good idea to conflate a philosophical idea with the way Communism was implemented in actuality. Communism didn't fail because they were so-called "atheists", it was because they were Totalitarian. IOW, forced conformity steals your spirit.

Plus, of course, in America we have the 1st Amendment which allows people to practice any or no religion ... as is their choice. Not every one has the same belief systems, nor the same idea about what "previously" made America what it was yesterday, BC (before covid). It wasn't religion, it was the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The 1st Amendment gives each of us the right to think different and avoid forced conformity.

I for one also am glad to see this thread, as there have been dozens of threads on the other two topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.