I quit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MG1912 said:
After one year on the road as a fulltime nomad, I have decided to “quit.”  As I wrote at the outset of this journey, I did not know how long I would continue van life when I started my trip, and I wasn’t holding myself to anything.  I made the decision to retire early last year, and one of my top goals was to not hold myself to things – to let things come and develop as they would...

All this may sound like a “goodbye,” but I don’t think it is.  I definitely feel retired now after a year of not working and with no plans to work again in the future, but I know I am still young in many people’s eyes, and I don’t know what the future holds.  I’ve changed my mind in the past, and who’s to say that I won’t end up on the road again in the future?

Financial insecurity is a real thing, and can feel like a monster that haunts us, perhaps all our lives.  I can understand the turmoil that put you through.  

You're right that everything is a trade-off, with an opportunity cost ... so you can moan about what you can't do or appreciate what you can ... probably a bit of both is the most natural thing in the world.  I know I do it sometimes; I'm no hero.  It sounds like you missed your family and the activity surrounding them.  What a wonderful thing that you have places to be where one after the other there are people who appreciate you.  It sounds like you made a good choice for yourself.  And like you enjoyed and appreciated your earlier choice to try the van life.  That takes guts, resolve, and a spirit o adventure!  

And now, if you're moving on to something else, I hope you enjoy it just as much.  There are so many ways to enjoy life.  Wasn't it wonderful that you explored such an unusual and different one for a while, have the tales to tell, and now probably appreciate those nice long hot showers and close family more than ever?

2020 was a bad year to do anything, and I am sure future years will be better for travelling, MG. I consider myself a part timer, because I come and go from dwelling. I keep my van because it is my true home, and everything that is real about me is in there. By hanging out in the van, I can be camping even when parked in the driveway.

My flight is grounded mostly by covid 19, but also to get my financials back in line. I spent down my emergency fund and then lost a main income stream that most people consider to be reliable. I am rediscovering how to live on much less, and how to have fun doing things that are free. 

You should consider planting a tree at your place, as a marker of the time you are in S&B there. Enjoy! -crofter

Thanks to all for the kind and supportive comments.  They are greatly appreciated. 

Ikigai said:
I'd be interested in hearing more about how the transition back to S&B went, I'm sure that has it's own struggles.

It has mostly been painless, but with the expected hiccups.  The home I bought is in good shape, but I had to install new propane lines, buy some furniture, etc.  All is going according to plan, and I am optimistic about the future, but the uncertainty with COVID and politics – combined with making such a major decision to settle down and purchase a home – has me feeling apprehensive, and so it will be a while, I think, until I can begin a “normal” life here or to feel “normal.”  I want to go to the library and the local Y and check out jiu jitsu gyms, for example, but all of that is on hold until the restrictions are lifted.  I’m glad I decided to settle down here, where I have family close by.  My relatives have made this transition from nomadic living back to S&B less painful than it otherwise would have been.  Life in S&B definitely comes with its costs, and even a small, inexpensive home like mine involves those costs.  Just as an example, my home had no window dressings when I bought it, at all, and just to put up the cheap, Amazon house brand curtain rods and curtains cost a surprising amount of money.  And there are utilities and home insurance, etc. 

tx2sturgis said:
MG, please dont leave, because now you are one of 'us', the 'been there done that' people....you will have extensive knowledge, experiences, skills, and thoughts to share with the newbies....and that has a lot of value.

But...Massachusetts? WHAT THE HECK MAN?

:p

I appreciate it, and even though I am not visiting often these days, I’ll chime in if I think I have anything to add to a discussion.  Massachusetts was a hard decision.  I originally wanted to settle across the border in New Hampshire, but I looked at several factors, including how much income I expected to draw in retirement and access to healthcare once my employer’s health insurance stops, and Massachusetts just made more sense.  I would have preferred New Hampshire if I had had unlimited resources, for the freedom alone, but New Hampshire is a sparsely-populated state with no income or sales tax, and that has consequences.  Not that I intend to rely on services, but decent health insurance options can be the difference between solvency and ruin in retirement.  Massachusetts has a very good health care system compared to most other states.

tav-2020 said:
Hey MG, I am a fellow W. MA resident who had planned to be on the road in 2020 but all came to a screeching halt due to covid and it feels safe to be in my home but also feels like limbo.  Hit me up if you get the urge to go camping (locally) next summer, if that is even an option then, who knows....?

I will definitely be down for camping!  I am retired, and so I’ve got the time, and I have the gear.

crofter said:
You should consider planting a tree at your place, as a marker of the time you are in S&B there. Enjoy! -crofter

I might do that!  Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments, crofter.

Kewl.....do what suits you when it suits you :) covid uncertainty has changed alot of our travels, dreams and is unsettling and if you found a landing spot that suits you right now....super cool. Best of the best and enjoy all you can and if and when ya want to roam, do it, if not bunker down and live great :) whatever floats your boat cause life is all about change and what works for us! great post!

Do as your heart tells ya, methinks.

Personally, 2020 has been one of the best yrs of my life. Went on my first gold prospecting trip w/ highdesertranger how the heck could it be a bad year, ha!
COVID didn't affect me as much as people's reaction to the fear. Every flu season I stay away from crowds, etc. I lost 3 working gigs, wonderful gigs, due to it but that was for extra $$ and experience campground management and refurbing a sailboat.

I was affected emotionally the first couple of weeks after California stay in place orders came out, where I was doing the sailboat work. I left, went to Quartzsite and, due to daughter in southeast began to watch some news trying to get a hold of what was happening in her world, in case I needed to go there.

Bad mistake, after two weeks of moderate news gather I felt crazy....absurd claims, completely opposite of one another sometimes...conflicting numbers and motives...I was depressed.

After a few phone calls getting a feel for how here world was, which was fine, I stopped the news watching except when going to a new area to stock up. I'd check local news sources.

NO national or world news...it's insane.

I've been doing a bit of work on a friends falling down rustic lake cabin in SW OK for a couple of month. Rural and fairly remote....and a great easterly view. But, I'd also be fine on the road, remote boondock camping.

Happy Winter Solstice!!!