8 inch GPS tablet found, cheap and fast.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inti

Reaction score
I almost turned my old Dodge Grand Caravan into a Tesla, yup :)

I used to magnetically attach my work iPhone for navigation, but the screen was too small for my imperfect vision. Long could not find a good small-sized tablet with GPS, but finally found this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006379457345.html. Although I bought mine a little more expensive on Amazon for faster shipping and easier return in case I didn't like it.

Without the case it weighs the same as my iPhone XR (with the case), the same magnet holds it perfectly, and I can twist and turn it as I want to see everything clearly. I put the iPhone on the second magnet - purely for work email notifications and to share Internet. On my 8-inch tablet I open two applications at once - Google map in a larger window and Internet radio in a smaller window. It's very convenient, and the tablet is fast. Plus it fits in my jacket pocket and I carry it home, it's better to watch videos before bed than on my phone. Of course, it is also perfect when I use bed in my minivan - https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/dodge-grand-caravan-camper-sleeper-for-two-tall-people.38161/

This tablet is basically just a big phone, you can put a SIM in it and have normal phone calls among other things.

For about the same money on Aliexpress could be bought specially made for my car replacement for my existing old radio, with a built-in screen, but I like the option with a tablet more, do not need to install anything, plus the screen on the tablet is bigger and I can twist it as I want on the ball magnetic holder, I do not understand what the pleasure of looking at the screen that does not look directly at you. And if the sun hits the built-in screen, you can't even tilt it anywhere to see properly.

Magnets are very strong by the way, these ones: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DDwC5TJ (I took both, but I like the first model better, it is more stable on bumpy roads). I have to slide the tablet sideways to get it off the magnet, it is so strong that there is absolutely no problem with it falling off.

I also tried some other, slightly cheaper 8-inch tablet with GPS, but it was too slow and with a bad screen. I can safely recommend this ALLDOCUBE instead of the iPad Mini which costs several times more. Plus, this Chinese tablet has 3.5 mm audio for headphones and 3.5 mm AUX in the car. I prefer AUX in the car instead of bluetooth, which disconnects when I turn off the engine and then pairs for a long time when I turn it on.
Also, the iPad Mini doesn't have a slot for an extra SD card for my music library.
The battery drains pretty quickly compared to more expensive tablets, but it doesn't matter to me because I can charge it in the car.
The built-in speaker is pretty weak, so it's better not to count on it in the car. I sometimes just listen to music through sound isolating bluetooth headphones, which by the way are cheaper than an expensive silent car.

Overall, I'm very happy with the result, the tablet is good for both car and home, and in principle can replace a regular phone if your jacket pocket is big enough.

1713852912491.jpeg

…….On my 8-inch tablet I open two applications at once - Google map in a larger window and Internet radio in a smaller window. It's very convenient, and the tablet is fast…..
Your installation location is flawed in one very significant safety aspect. It takes your eyes down too low for safe driving practices if you wanted to glance at the GPS map while driving. Your eyes need to remain looking forward out the window. Or at least be able to see some movement of other vehicles. You cannot achieve that with the screen that low.

You got over excited about all you can do with your new device and forgot to think “SAFETY FIRST “ when it came to installing it. There is a reason radios are mounted high in the console, it is so you can still keep glancing at the road.

Last edited:
>The link is broken, do you have name or the Amazon link?

Alldocube iPlay 50 Mini, Android 13, Widevine L1, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM, Tiger T606, 8,4"

There is also a PRO version of it but I don't think it's a good idea to pay extra for it.

Your installation location is flawed in one very significant safety aspect. It takes your eyes down too low for safe driving practices if you wanted to glance at the GPS map while driving. Your eyes need to remain looking forward out the window. Or at least be able to see some movement of other vehicles. You cannot achieve that with the screen that low.

You got over excited about all you can do with your new device and forgot to think “SAFETY FIRST “ when it came to installing it. There is a reason radios are mounted high in the console, it is so you can still keep glancing at the road.

You can easily set it higher if necessary. Simply slide the tablet upwards, as the large rectangular metal plate (or pair of plates) on the back allows you to do so. Or by mounting the magnetic holder higher. Or in a different location altogether.

What I showed at the beginning was good in a parking spot to read the news and scroll through text by hand on a narrow plastic cabinet from Walmart (covered in thick blue cloth).

The mounting location is not particularly essential to my post. What was important was the name of this inexpensive and quality tablet with GPS. The main problem is that usually these small tablets don't have GPS at all or cost too much, like the iPad Mini. You can mount it anywhere, it all depends on the car, driver and driving conditions. Also on how annoying your wife or child is :) So I'm attaching more pictures to illustrate that:

IMG_8999.JPG

IMG_8998.JPGIMG_8996.JPG

IMG_8995.JPG

IMG_8994.JPG

IMG_8992.JPG

IMG_9003.JPG
It would have been better to glue those two metal plates to this transparent case, but I bought it later....

That's what's covered by the blue cloth:

1713910703525.png
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-3-Drawer-Narrow-Tower-Set-of-3/14138975

Last edited:
If you mount an 8 inch tablet on top of the dashboard or in any position on the windshield and a police officer sees you driving with it you will be issued a moving violation ticket for obstructing your vision of the road. You need to think this through much more carefully as you are suggesting actual safety issues to forum members that could cause harm to them if they follow your suggestions. I know you want to be helpful and not cause harm to anyone with what you post. The moderators can help you edit your postings to remove the photos that are showing illegal mounting of the tablet. Of course I also have no objection if after that modification to remove the unsafe mounting suggestions they also remove this post I just made.

Last edited:
I want one for the ultralight where in an enclosed cockpit plane you unfolding charts which is almost impossible in an open cockpit.

If you mount an 8 inch tablet on top of the dashboard or in any position on the windshield and a police officer sees you driving with it you will be issued a moving violation ticket for obstructing your vision of the road. You need to think this through much more carefully as you are suggesting actual safety issues to forum members that could cause harm to them if they follow your suggestions. I know you want to be helpful and not cause harm to anyone with what you post. The moderators can help you edit your postings to remove the photos that are showing illegal mounting of the tablet. Of course I also have no objection if after that modification to remove the unsafe mounting suggestions they also remove this post I just made.
I didn't actually mount it on the dashboard or windshield, I just showed an example of what it would look like for me. For tall people, there will be no obstruction to the view at all. For smaller people, even the steering wheel would be in the way. Depends on the car. Depends on the person. Just use common sense. By the way, regarding my first picture with the tablet mounted low. I don't think looking down at it a bit is much different than looking in the side/rear mirrors, or looking at the clock, or the radio, or adjusting the vents. It's actually safer to look at a large tablet than the small phones people use all the time. That's because all the details on a big screen are more quickly grasped.

The only difference compared to stock screens is that I can adjust all the angles, I can make it vertical or horizontal, again, it all depends on your car, your height, sunlight, etc. Just use common sense. Actually, built-in screens are more problematic because they are harder to see at an angle, especially if a ray of sunlight hits the screen.

How can the following be unsafe?

1713928170058.png
By the way, this thing is actually just a big smartphone. Install it like any other phone, using extreme caution ;) Smartphones are dangerous, they are distracting, block your view and even sometimes explode.

Last edited:

Latest posts