Brutalized, jailed and falsely accused by young, gung-ho ranger

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie'sDaddy

Reaction score
Has this happened to you or anyone you know:

I’m an upper-arm amputee who, along with my service dog travel alone. We were alone in a deserted blm campground in winter, with no witnesses to see what happened. 

My service dog and I walked together, ID’d as service dog/handler team, w/o leash as always. No leash is legally required of a service dog handler as protected by federal law (the ADA of 1990). I carried photo id of our service dog/handler status just to have (though that’s not a legal requirement, either. Inconspicuous travel in a public place can make the difference between being safe or in danger and service dog IDs are a big, red arrow pointing to any service dog and handler, completely defeating the purpose of having a service dog at all.)

My dog is a superbly trained, working dog with nine-plus years working at my side. She’s not a pet and I am her handler, not her “owner.”

On this occasion she and I were accosted by a neophyte ranger who seemed to suddenly show up. 

He confronted me about the lack of leash - I cannot carry one nor do I even own one- and, thinking he as a fed ranger would know the federal law on service dogs as protected by the ADA of 1990. 

So after id’ing myself as her handler and she as my service dog I believed he’d know what I was saying. 

But this young man abruptly turned from ranger to belligerent thug at my mere mention that I was within the law. 

I’m convinced that no matter what I said about any subject this person was going to cause trouble-my service dog just happened to be the first thing that popped into his head.

But my dog and I take our work seriously and still continually train to stay sharp.

My dog and I have worked together for 8 years then and she’s long since established a good sense of alerting me to danger. She’s an extremely intelligent dog with a police/military pedigree and I inherently trust her judgement of others’ intentions and know right away if somebody’s a good guy or not. This guy, she indicated was not.

SUte enough, the look in the ranger’s eyes turned stone cold and I knew I was facing serious danger.

With a very visible physical disability we’d been a mark for opportunistic bad guys before. But this was criminal because the bad guy was armed and in uniform, wearing a badge. 

Without any human witnesses and knowing full well what was happening I got scared and turned tail and ran. That was not a crime just a knee-jerk response I had to running literally in the face of danger. 

The ranger followed me (I have trouble walking, let alone running) and tackled and brutalized me, dragging me through the rocky sand, my legs bleeding. Though I couldn’t believe it, here I was, being attacked without provocation.

My dog’s training in a medical emergency is to stand by me if I should fall to the ground. We couldn’t guess in a million years we’d face an emergency situation like this-who would?

My dog couldn’t have cared less about the ranger-I am her only job. Still, as she approached me the agent pepper sprayed her in both eyes. After she turned and ran the ranger, standing directly over me as I lay face-down deployed his taser into my back.

Long story short: We were separated for a full week, not knowing if the other was still alive. 

The cruel young ranger thought it all a great big joke and an apparent badge of honor to take down a fifty-something, out-of-shape amputee and to hurt his well-identified service dog. Wow, the enthusiastic tall tales he spun to his colleagues who arrived were of the David vs. Goliath sort. 

I was charged with no crime but was made to sit for hours, my arm cuffed to the bumper of his truck. At least I was in sight of my injured dog, and I spoke constantly to her, and I think it calmed us both. We’d never faced any sort of violent situation and were terrified at our sudden helplessness.

Once the young man’s supervisor arrived, a phony charge- assault, if you can believe it- was drawn up with phony police report to match.

Though I didn’t know it then my sweet dog was held hostage in an animal control shelter until I, under threat of her immediate euthanasia said “Yes” when presented with their guilty charge. I’d have said anything then just to be together again.

Until that moment I’d never committed a crime in my life - that being lying about committing a crime I hadn’t - and I had to believe my dog was as terrified alone as I was. 

Separated for a full week by then, confused and still scared and without any of my meds all that time- I said whatever I had to just to be back with my service dog.

These awful agents played their little game well and knew full well their deception. 
While I’m glad we survived that nightmare and am grateful we’re together again I cannot trust the same thing won’t happen again as I try to meet up with other RVers. 

Today I find I’m wearing a scarlet letter - G for “guilty” - and afraid to ever return to that area, which I was there for health reasons to begin with. 

Becoming part of a tribe where I can safely find kindred spirits just to avoid this sort of thing now seems a foregone conclusion.

The real criminals here have gotten away and nobody should be made to feel like a fugitive in their own country. This could and probably already has happened to others.

I’m not asking for preaching that I “should have used a leash or put on a service dog vest” or “don’t be so naïve” or any such thing. That’d just be hurtful and this ordeal has already provided us plenty of that.

I just want some well-conceived input on how I might handle these threats who wear a badge. And your thoughtful ideas on how we might connect with other, similarly vulnerable nomads. 

We’re supposed to be able to trust these rangers, yet I still have nightmares over this breach of trust. 

Plus, I have no idea what else may have befallen my sweet dog throughout all this and it’s heartbreaking. Her sweet disposition is a direct reflection of my own and also the loving bond we’ve otherwise shared with our world.

Still apprehensive about this today, I’ve remained intentionally vague about our specifics here, only offering the bare essentials. I firmly believe this would never have happened had we not been alone. What do you think?

Edited to remove political reference. Also removed two subsequent posts referencing the statement ~ cyndi

Where?

I have seen it, not that bad but still completely unacceptable. It’s like law enforcement think they have the right and responsibility to commit domestic violence on poor vulnerable citizens.

I found myself van dwelling after a 2008 economic crisis health related foreclosure. The fact we can be treasured thusly while the failed criminals just get richer and more abusive is sign of deep flaws in our current establishment.

Near Ehrenberg. That’s what’s surprising to me; the vitriol the kid whispered in my ear through clenched teeth: “They’ll kill your dog, tow your camper and throw you in jail for good” was terrifying and not at all reflective of how welcome RVers supposedly are there.

It was only coincidence we were there, though-we were just passing through, heading home from a month in warm, sunny Mexico.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and to your poor dog. It's understandable that you are traumatized from this. Best wishes to you both. :heart:

People like that Ranger make me sick to my stomach. The majority of LEOs and park rangers are good people and do everything they can to help people, its these small percentages of A$$holes that give the rest of them a bad rap and cause people to not trust them.

Im very sorry this happened to you and your companion (service dog)

I hate this happened to you. He acted like a cad for sure but just know that anytime you turn and run in his mind you must be guilty of something. You will always be chased and tackled if you run. He has been trained to do that.

What a terrible experience! It is heartbreaking that law enforcement officers can act in such cruel manner. As a new nomad I am filled with fears and do believe that travel companions are necessary. I hope to meet kindred souls on the way and wish you peace and serenity after such an ordeal. Safe travels!

Sharknose said:
...The majority of LEOs and park rangers are good people and do everything they can to help people, its these small percentages of A$$holes that give the rest of them a bad rap and cause people to not trust them.

Some of the people who get into law enforcement aren't there to protect and serve. They're there so they can boss and bully. Sometimes it's because they had been bossed and bullied themselves and it's a chance to get even. Sometimes it's because no one had ever listened to them but they sure as hell will now. Sometimes it's because they hate certain kinds of people. Sometimes it's because they hate everyone.

I have heard of people wearing body cams for this very reason. Some people have taken to using dash cams (front and rear) whenever they drive to document exactly what happens when they are driving. Either use of a camera prevents others from sucessfully claiming you caused injury or damage that you didn't cause, or committed a crime you didn't commit.

The body cam thing is looking like a better deal more and more. I'm not quite there yet, but I can definitely see why others would make this choice.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Always turn on your smartphone/camera and begin recording when an encounter with law enforcement begins. And never run!

And I would file a complaint. Maybe nothing will happen, but if this joker gets enough complaints filed against him, maybe he will see some repercussions. We can only hope.

SD, very disturbing situation. First, I would contact a lawyer. I think the legal system is very favorable for people in your situation. A lot depends upon whether the official report includes the level of abuse you suffered, or was a whitewash. You should get a copy of any report that was filed.

Secondly, analyze the whole episode. In retrospect, do you think there is anything that **YOU** could have done at the get-go to have helped defuse the situation before it went so crazy? Eg, realizing this guy was a total idiot who could be triggered by any little thing, and then acting commensurate with that.
-------------

I say this because I just went through a year-long civil case where I was the defendent accused of all sorts of things by 3 other people - ie, in 7-pages of written accusations. Like you, I have no record for every having committed any crimes whatsoever. I defended aggressively against each and every accusation over the course of 4 hearings. In the end the judge ruled for me because I think it became very clear how much lying had occurred on the other side, and how everything I said was corroborated by subsequent questioning of others.

I agree with the body cam, and get two, one that is obvious and one that is not. Two, file a federal lawsuit against them for violating the ADA and using coersian against you to make you please guilty, that is also illegle. I would check with a lawyer but possibly assault and battery as well as emotional hardship might be appropriate to the situation. But above all seek a lawyer that is familiar with federal court not local.

I talked to a guy in Ehrenberg last year who wore video sunglasses. He turned them on when needed. I really wouldn’t have known what they were unless I was really looking for them. Pretty cool. The brand was pivothead

If you are interested in pursuing this legally I'd also recommend getting in touch with the ACLU. They are very familiar with federal law and their entire reason for existing is to uphold people's rights under the law and the Constitution.

I'm not trying to turn this thread political. Yup, i know the ACLUs help is sometimes given to groups that many people take offense to. They offer free speech legal representation to controversial groups when many would rather they stopped speaking their message entirely.

The reason I suggested them is because they offer their services free of charge often and have extensive knowledge of local state and federal laws. So they might be able to help.

Here's their link to their AZ office - but they have an office in every state.
https://www.aclu.org/affiliate/arizona

~sngie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry for what has happened to you, not only for your past injury but also in this instance. Having a disability doesn't make you a good guy in a law enforcement officer's eyes. It seems to me he was attempting to determine if you were breaking the law if you were in an area that a leash is required. You broke the law by running and not providing answers or requesting representation. Running makes you a bad guy. He stopped you the best way he has been trained to with the least amount of risk to himself. It seems all this could have been avoided by using just a little common sense and coursity by both the officer and you. I would have immediately taken off my belt and used it as a leash just as a coursity to the officer. I would then produce copies of my permits and at least had a hidden collar I.D. on the dog identifies it as a service dog and you as its handler. You should do this for the dog should something happen to either of you anyway. I would also carry a copy of the law with me and have stopped by the Distric Ranger's Office to let them know I would be using a service dog even though I didn't have anything on the dog visible to show he was. I would have asked for recomendations on where best to camp. I would have gotten the ranger's card or I.D. to show I had been there. Rangers and visitors are attacked and bitten by unleashed dogs on a regular basis. Rangers have to deal with people "claiming" their dog is a service dog without going through the proper proceedures and training. Your dog was just doing what it was trained to do, so was the ranger. You are lucky as some poorly trained officer might have shot you both.

I'm sorry if the last post sounded harsh but having dealt with well trained dogs and law enforcement I know a well trained dog knows how to obey commands and act around other people than it's handler. Sit , stay and be good are simple commands any service dogs should be taught. It's hard to communicate with someone that feels threatened whether it is a visitor, ranger or dog and communication was the problem in this case.

+1 for Bullfrog (even though your post is appearing twice). Common sense usually directs one to the "middle path".

No wonder why folks just want to be left alone.  So sorry this happened to you.

I've deleted some posts. We're not here to judge.

Latest posts