RTR Chatter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheelEstate USA

Reaction score
I don't walk a lot so I haven't gotten to visit with many of you.
So, this is the first desert experience for some. What are your thoughts about your surroundings?

Y'all stop by when you're out and around ;)

I 'Do' walk a lot...but I still haven't gotten to visit with many of you.

I've had many desert experiences, but I find my surroundings dull, confining, and wall-like. (I'd much rather be there with you folks.)

Y'all stop by when you're out and around!   :cool:

I just left low techs campfire gathering. What is wonderful about the rtr, you can be as busy and social as you want or not be bothered, whatever suits you.

bindi&us said:
I don't walk a lot so I haven't gotten to visit with many of you.
So, this is the first desert experience for some. What are your thoughts about your surroundings?

Y'all stop by when you're out and around ;)

Hi Guys!

Yes, this time is my first desert experience. My thoughts - I don't see myself being a desert dweller truthfully. Here at the RTR it's slightly more scenic than my first exposure to the desert at Ehrenberg. But only slightly. It's okay being able to see a long way and the sunrises and sunsets can certainly be breathtaking but I've been able to reaffirm something I kinda knew about myself....I'm definitely a water/grass/tree person.

I'm sure that there are breathtaking sections of the desert and I plan to search them out over the next few years for sightseeing adventures but I'll also be planning my camping time for somewhere where there is at least a nice body of water.

bindi&us said:
How about Low Tech?? The ultimate in urban stealth...or maybe just scare the hell out of the neighborhood :)

Just came from Low Techs' neighborhood- certainly a showstopper set up. No urban stealth about it - can't hide those rigs at ALL!... :D

I'm enjoying my time here at the RTR and really enjoying meeting and getting to know so many people from all over the continent that all love their life and understand what is so great about our way of life.

@Almost There
These descriptions bring to mind unpleasant stereotypes of "tree-hugger" and other potentially derogatory statements. I hope this intial impression remains incorrect about your personality. I guess you have "Dreams of Greenery" (which remain lacking in this region) :) .

Follow the Colorado River for a while.

I didn't read derogetory in AT's assessent. The desert isn't a place where everyone feels at home as I do.
Out here, we are proud that Az "has it all". Not only does the desert change a lot as you travel, but we also have some of the most wonderful forests, mountains, and diversity of landscaping, as well as weather that greatly varies from north to south in the same season. 
Winter in the south and find cool camping north in summer. 

And...we have lots of hummingbirds too ;)

Nope, the desert just ain't for everyone :)

The saguaro cactus you see around us grows a crown of blooms which are our state's wildflower. The blooms turn into tasty fruits that are harvested with a long pole.
They grow so slowly that even a shorty can be 10 years old. They can live over150 years and produce as many as 20 "arms". Some of the best examples are found between here and Tucson.

Free sweet pickles -- I bought the 7 lb can of slices for $1, and after I've put all I want in my fridge, I'll leave the rest on the table with the chili fixings. Bring your own container.

I've went hiking up in the hills near the RTR a couple times now. It takes about 45 mins to an hour to walk there. I like checking out some of the gold mines. There is a small, rough road to the left about 3/4 mile from the camp that is the more interesting road to take.
An old stone cabin is alongside the road up in the hills.
0f36c634448471625fb6ec1ca0aaebec.jpg

I like looking at the variety of rock that is exposed in the hills, along with the various plants.
I found one mine that is hidden from the road by climbing a hill and looking around with binoculars. It is a tunnel into a hillside that goes back maybe 30-40 feet. It has quartz or crystals showing in the walls and ceiling.
After a few weeks in the desert, I start to miss trees a little. But I'm glad for the variety of landscapes that our country has!

Grrr, while you guys are probably down there enjoying 70 degrees and sunshine we are up here in WA state freezing cold!

I want to be where you are next year.

We did just spend the past few days riding snowmobiles in the Cascade mountains though.   This is a shot from my sled at about 4400 feet looking down on a frozen lake below.

Salmonlasac.jpg

Attachments

• Salmonlasac.jpg
    Salmonlasac.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 269
For all you first time desert visitors..
The rainy weather in the desert doesn't happen very often.
But when it does.........................
You won't believe the display of flowers that will come next!!!!!!!!
:cool:

Wish I was there woke up to minus 32 c this morning in the trailer was surprised the little heater kept it warm next year I'll be down there