Battery Powered Heated Items Overview

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Camper

Reaction score
As some might know, I used to sell pallets of items to others that would resell the individual items. Over the course of doing that I had a chance to try out some very interesting battery powered heated items. Before I closed my warehouse I also put some pallets to the side door personal sales and use.

A lot of these items are very helpful in a few different ways. And there are going to be many brands they might have the same or similar items. Here are some of my thoughts regarding what I have personally tried or seen in action.

Almost everything listed will be a rechargeable heated item. Some will have integrated batteries. Others will have removable batteries that can be charged elsewhere. Almost all will have multiple heat settings.

Hand warmers - There are a lot of rechargable hand warmers on the market. While all of them work, some are definitely better than others. I have extensively used at least 8 different ones. Some can double as a phone charger/USB battery, so there is utility when it's warmer and not used for warming. If you're a cold hands person these might be good for you. They don't get hot hot unless you cover it and leave it in place somewhere. As mentioned below. Most have multiple heat settings

Do Not fall asleep with one against your skin. I still have a scar from doing so on my shoulder. Fell asleep and rolled over onto it. It was pinned between the mattress and my shoulder for hours. Completely my fault. Battery is usually integrated.

Heated gloves - These can be bulkier then you might want for doing most things. But they do work. I prefer the hand warmers with thinner gloves. These usually have an external battery.

Heated socks - These work well. If you have neuropathy in your feet please talk to your doctor first. These usually have an external battery.

Heated jackets/vests - Used by motorcycle riders and mechanics, as well as skiers. They work very well. Most take a standard power bank that comes with purchase and have a slot/pocket for the battery. You can switch the battery out with another with minimal effort or issue.

Heated knee brace - These work better than I thought they would. I have sometimes painful knees. I have been using one on occasion when it flares up and have had excellent results. I did try to flatten it and use it as a heating pad, but wasn't thrilled with the result. But for my knees it's been a have changer. The one I have uses an external battery with a pocket in the brace. It can also run directly from the battery charger when I'm close to a plug.

As with any item you're thinking about buying, please read reviews and find items that make sense for your situation. None of these items are going to beat having proper heating in your space. But they can help.

The gloves, socks, jackets, and braces can be used without using the heating functions, so can serve as dual use when not in heated use.

Please do not post on this thread about alternate ways of keeping warm and what you personally do to stay warm. That has been covered many times in many threads.

This thread is general information regarding heated items using battery power and how it might work for some reading. Thank you in advance for sticking to this topic.

As some might know, I used to sell pallets of items to others that would resell the individual items. Over the course of doing that I had a chance to try out some very interesting battery powered heated items. Before I closed my warehouse I also put some pallets to the side door personal sales and use.

A lot of these items are very helpful in a few different ways. And there are going to be many brands they might have the same or similar items. Here are some of my thoughts regarding what I have personally tried or seen in action.

Almost everything listed will be a rechargeable heated item. Some will have integrated batteries. Others will have removable batteries that can be charged elsewhere. Almost all will have multiple heat settings.

Hand warmers - There are a lot of rechargable hand warmers on the market. While all of them work, some are definitely better than others. I have extensively used at least 8 different ones. Some can double as a phone charger/USB battery, so there is utility when it's warmer and not used for warming. If you're a cold hands person these might be good for you. They don't get hot hot unless you cover it and leave it in place somewhere. As mentioned below. Most have multiple heat settings

Do Not fall asleep with one against your skin. I still have a scar from doing so on my shoulder. Fell asleep and rolled over onto it. It was pinned between the mattress and my shoulder for hours. Completely my fault. Battery is usually integrated.

Heated gloves - These can be bulkier then you might want for doing most things. But they do work. I prefer the hand warmers with thinner gloves. These usually have an external battery.

Heated socks - These work well. If you have neuropathy in your feet please talk to your doctor first. These usually have an external battery.

Heated jackets/vests - Used by motorcycle riders and mechanics, as well as skiers. They work very well. Most take a standard power bank that comes with purchase and have a slot/pocket for the battery. You can switch the battery out with another with minimal effort or issue.

Heated knee brace - These work better than I thought they would. I have sometimes painful knees. I have been using one on occasion when it flares up and have had excellent results. I did try to flatten it and use it as a heating pad, but wasn't thrilled with the result. But for my knees it's been a have changer. The one I have uses an external battery with a pocket in the brace. It can also run directly from the battery charger when I'm close to a plug.

As with any item you're thinking about buying, please read reviews and find items that make sense for your situation. None of these items are going to beat having proper heating in your space. But they can help.

The gloves, socks, jackets, and braces can be used without using the heating functions, so can serve as dual use when not in heated use.

Please do not post on this thread about alternate ways of keeping warm and what you personally do to stay warm. That has been covered many times in many threads.

This thread is general information regarding heated items using battery power and how it might work for some reading. Thank you in advance for sticking to this topic.
Good article. I have been using a Milwaukee heated coat for the last three winters when I ride my motorcycle. I paid $100 for the coat on sale on Ebay, I bought a Milwaukee dril/ impact driver set with two m12 li -on batteries on sale for $99 at Ace hardware and I am set. This year I am adding handlebar mitts, a balaclava and heated gloves. I can also use all of the heated clothing items for work or camping. My neighbor and I sometimes ride as much as 120 miles each way in the winter. Great riding in Northwest New Mexico and southwest Colorado.