Advice on installing fuses into my 400 watt solar system

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance22

Reaction score
Recently started upgrading my 200 watt system into a 400 watt system.

I have had a

Blue Sea Systems 5023 ST Blade Battery Terminal Fuse Block 4 Circuit​

that fused the system from the battery to the 12V outlets I used to draw power out of the system.

I am looking to install fuse into the other parts of the system I should have had from the get go..

From the solar pannels to the charge controller I want to put a fuse on the positive wire (skipping the negative/ground wire)
then from the charge controller to the battery another fuse on the positive wire as well.

Then I think my system would be reasonably safe.

Also this system would only have 300 watts going into it as the 4th 100 watt pannel will be connected directly to a power station that I will be using in my kitchen. (the main system will power my fridge and freezer in my minivan)

Also plan putting a 80 watt portable pannel on the front dash and hooking that to my other power station that I will charge up my smaller power banks to charge up my phones ( I use phones as TV's so I got a bunch plus bluetooth speakers so lots of smaller charging devices) sure not really I need to have a 3rd system but if I can generate some charge from the dash even if it burns the pannels out every few years due to heat why not...

I've used 15amps fuses in the blue sea fuse blocks for the outlets. figured 30amps is what I would use for the other two fuses (listed above) that I plan on putting in.
I've seen a fuse device at home depot kinda wish I picked it up now..

but it looked like an inline fuse that you just connect both ends and had a rubber casing for the actual fuse to keep it protected. it was like just a few bucks.

but then I would have to cut the cable and then have to splice the wire and ducktape it.. it gave me enough pause that I may be doing it not as effective..

Given im working in a minivan I DON'T have a dedicated space for my wires. my charge controller is "mounted with a zip tie loop that hangs on the passager side door via the door lock button (stick on the window sill)

It's all disconnected right now but I want to make it much safer this go around. Any advice would be appreciated. oh and for reference I have a 200ah battery I think it's 10 or 12 gauge wire im using from the battery to the outlets Going to redue those wires as well given the wires are hard and tend to unplug waaaaaay to often even though I krimped them correctly and used heat-shrink wrap and everything. planning on mounting the outlets to a board or into the dash this time so they don't move as much.

Also I have 10 gauge wire from the pannels to charge controller and then again controller to the battery as well.

Also now that I look.. I have 16 gauge wire from the 100 watt pannel directly to the power station (seems like this might be to small but I guess it would only be carrying what 50-80 watts an hour at best? Might be fine still..

I think that covers it.. again thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and offers any advice.

"Fuses protect wires"........You NEED a 30/25 amp fuse at the battery to protect the "10 or 12 "gauge wires to the fuse box...............those small wires will burn-up with 200 amps in a fault condition

"Fuses protect wires"........You NEED a 30/25 amp fuse at the battery to protect the "10 or 12 "gauge wires to the fuse box...............those small wires will burn-up with 200 amps in a fault condition
and they do..

the blue seal battery terminal fuse box connects directly from the battery goes to the fuse then the wires connect from there to the outlet. They all have a 15amp fuse for EACH outlet right now I've 3 of the 4 in use and the 4th sits empty as someday I might expand to a 4th outlet but my needs don't require it as of now.

I don't have a fuse box it's just the blue seal battery terminal fuse right on the battery terminal.