Connecting MaxAir Fan to Bluetti & Diagnosing Electrical Set-Up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks,

1. I want to put a MaxAir fan in my Ford Transit but I'm not able to afford a whole electrical/solar system. [I'm leaving the walls accessible for that, later.] Does anyone know if these fans can be wired to plug into a power station like Bluetti?

2. I'd also like to find someone who can diagnose the power set-up in my van. It already has wiring connected to the alternator and two lead batteries beneath the vehicle. Inside the van there are male and female plugs, along with what looks like an internet/modem plug. I can also see wires grounded to the van metal, and a fuse box. The dealer had zero info on it. When I put down a deposit on the van, there was an inverter inside, with a button on the dash to turn it off/on. It looks like their crew removed the inverter and instead, put plugs in. I've tried to get a few professionals to tell me if it's usable, if it needs to have an inverter put back on it, or even if the batteries still work, but I end up only getting quotes for a solar installation, way out of my price range. No blame - I did ask for quotes for solar too, but I'd like to know if what's in there is usable, without solar? Perhaps I could simply upgrade the batteries, add an inverter, and be good to go, using the alternator to power? Looking to find someone who could diagnose and do it as economically as possible. I could drive to Quartzite from San Diego, if necessary. I also just appreciate suggestions and insights.

Thanks in advance. Love this forum. Just became a supporting member.

Attachments

• IMG_3771.png
    IMG_3771.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3772.png
    IMG_3772.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3773.png
    IMG_3773.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3774.png
    IMG_3774.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3775.png
    IMG_3775.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 1
First, thanks for the support of the forum!

Your conversion looks like it's going to be a big project...I hope you can keep us updated as you progress thru this.

I wonder why they removed the inverter? Did they find it was defective or maybe someone decided they needed it more than you did? Bummer.

And I'm concerned about the battery hanging under the frame...its vulnerable to damage there and much harder to inspect and service. I would suggest removing it from that location as soon as possible.

As far as the main question...you can connect a MaxAir Fan to the Bluetti, the easiest way would be to use a cigarette lighter plug.

Good luck and I'm hoping others will jump on board with suggestions!

First, thanks for the support of the forum!

Your conversion looks like it's going to be a big project...I hope you can keep us updated as you progress thru this.

I wonder why they removed the inverter? Did they find it was defective or maybe someone decided they needed it more than you did? Bummer.

And I'm concerned about the battery hanging under the frame...its vulnerable to damage there and much harder to inspect and service. I would suggest removing it from that location as soon as possible.

As far as the main question...you can connect a MaxAir Fan to the Bluetti, the easiest way would be to use a cigarette lighter plug.

Good luck and I'm hoping others will jump on board with suggestions!
Hey, thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'll definitely post the build as it comes along. ( : Just finally got the subfloor and bed in.

I appreciate the battery suggestion. I agree, they should come inside. I'd also like to replace them with LiPo4.

I'm inclined to believe the workers stole the inverter when I paid them to remove the passenger seats. Definitely bummed me out.

Good to know I can connect the Max fan using a cigarette plug. Thank you for that! Now I can order one and put it next on the list.

Definitely looks like a mess in there. It will take some diagnostic time to figure out and label wires. That is done with a multimeter and continuity testing. It would save you money if you learn how to do that. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials that teach how to do continuity test with a multimeter. Just disconnect your batteries before you start and you will not have any risk of getting shocked while doing continuity tests. The obvious wires to test are those strange ones that you have no clue what they are there for or what they are hooked up to.

As to using your alternator while idling your engine to run an inverter. The answer is that is a very bad power setup for the health of your alternator and engine. So do it right the first time and put in proper wiring scheme for an “home on wheels” living space instead of trying to make do with the current wire mess from the previous owner.

Last edited:
I have my max fan wired to a cirgarette ligher plug and run it off my Jackery. It works fine that way and I recharge the Jackery during the day as I travel.

As for your electrical system.......I have little or no experience with that. I would not try to tie anything into the van battery, but that is just me. I would be worried about about it draining the battery and you not being able to start your van. I agree about moving the battery inside the van. I would then build an independent electrical system from that battery and find a way to charge it.

Bluetti uses that DC5521 barrel connector for 12 volt loads and the ciggie outlet also.............

I would look to hook the fan to the DC5521........just purchase a "pigtail" cable.........THAT leaves the ciggie port available for your fridge or other 12 volt needs

PIRATE CAMP may be able to sort out your wiring in the Quartzsite desert.........Arrrrgh !

a)
At our local-owned family-operated barn-n-yard for cheap RecreateVehicle parts, we acquired a pair of 'take-out' MaxxxAxxx fans.
The two were around us$5 (five fedbux).
Getting 'cheap' gives room to splurge on activities.
We are not fans of more gadgets.
www.nwrvsupply.com
b)
Anderson power-poles are our friends.
www.andersonpower.com
Instead of acquiring a rarely-used professional-grade swager for their connectors, we took our cables and new-in-box connectors to Springfield Automotive.
https://springfieldauto.net/.
Springfield Automotive boss Dan crimped our ends better than us with a vise-n-hammer.
Cables?
We acquired several sets of jumper-cables (used to start a dead vehicle) complete with clamps.
With their clamps, they were cheaper than bare wire.
Unbelievable, but true.
ProTip:
I tend toward heavier cable than the minimum required.
If two MaxxxAxxx fans could function on 10ga, I go 8ga or bigger.
Reason:
* I may tap that line for adds.
Originating with more capacity trumps re-stringing a new line.

I appreciate all the responses, thank you! Sounds like I should simply unhook from the battery and remove everything. If it's connected to the alternator, I wouldn't know how to do that, but perhaps I can find a place that does car stereos and alarms, and pay them to remove the system, then start fresh with a Bluetti. [I live too far from Springfield, OR to hit that auto shop.] Love all the links LM, thank you for taking the time to do that. I've been waiting to finish my walls to get this figured out and I'm over it! If anyone does RV electrical out here in SoCal, I'd love referrals.

A power station is a quick and easy solution for minimal builds. But it doesn't take too much of a build to run up against a power station's biggest downside- the limited number ports. The fridge, fan, and heater each typically require a 10A port. The other downside is that outlets placed strategically for convenient use may not be in close proximity to the power station and running cords throughout the van can get unwieldy. The solution to both of these issues is to use a distribution box (like the one in your photo) that draws its power from the high output port on a power station. The larger Bluetti models have 25 or 30A aviation port.
There are YT videos that explain this process. Here's one of them:

Large battery banks/power stations require an efficient way to recharge them. Obviously power stations can be removed from the vehicle and charged via shore power pretty rapidly. The vehicle's accessory port and solar panels may be sufficient for your use scenario. If faster charging is needed while driving, you can use a DC to DC charger/boost convertor connected to the high input port on the power station. In most cases this is the solar connector, although I believe some Bluetti models have two options.
There are YT videos that explain how to do this. Here's one of them:

I won't go into details of my setup since both my vehicle and power station are different than yours, but I will say that it has evolved over the past three years and the current iteration, has been great so far (6 months and counting). Which is not to say that it's stagnant, I'm always looking for ways to improve.

A power station is a quick and easy solution for minimal builds. But it doesn't take too much of a build to run up against a power station's biggest downside- the limited number ports. The fridge, fan, and heater each typically require a 10A port. The other downside is that outlets placed strategically for convenient use may not be in close proximity to the power station and running cords throughout the van can get unwieldy. The solution to both of these issues is to use a distribution box (like the one in your photo) that draws its power from the high output port on a power station. The larger Bluetti models have 25 or 30A aviation port.
There are YT videos that explain this process. Here's one of them:

Large battery banks/power stations require an efficient way to recharge them. Obviously power stations can be removed from the vehicle and charged via shore power pretty rapidly. The vehicle's accessory port and solar panels may be sufficient for your use scenario. If faster charging is needed while driving, you can use a DC to DC charger/boost convertor connected to the high input port on the power station. In most cases this is the solar connector, although I believe some Bluetti models have two options.
There are YT videos that explain how to do this. Here's one of them:

I won't go into details of my setup since both my vehicle and power station are different than yours, but I will say that it has evolved over the past three years and the current iteration, has been great so far (6 months and counting). Which is not to say that it's stagnant, I'm always looking for ways to improve.

These were really helpful, thanks! I didn't even know that *was* a distribution box. [I'll continue to educate myself with more youtube vids.] I do plan on putting solar panels up. Just bought the hardware to create roof mounts. I figure a cheap campsite with electric hookups will work, when needed. We've got state forest sites here in CA that are only $15 a night. Could even plug in during "Day Use" for less. It's a bit unwieldy to haul into a Starbucks, but I've got a rolling cart that could work. I'll be running a fridge, 1 max-airre fan, laptop & phone, probably Starlink. I so appreciate your input, thanks again!

I could drive to Quartzite from San Diego

Pirate Camp will be in Quartzsite by November 15...........I'm sure a Helper and I could SEE what's going on in the first Hour...........Fixing that could take a couple days.....We would expect to REwire and fix all that added mess........

Those Batteries......who knows........We can figure them out .............I also have a Transit

What about that Solar.........San Tan is in Gilbert near Phoenix for cheap panels?

Do you camp ?.......We're in the LTVA......$40/two weeks......We could throw you a cord from a generator during daytime for a Coffee maker/skillet borrowed from your S&B........Camp is a long walk (500') to the vault toilet...........You'll need a sleeping bag......... cooler for Drinks/Breakfast/Lunch........Water......We could feed you Supper each day........Town is 15 mins away

Actually if you came out the first thing I would do is build you a bed.......Hung from the walls........SIT and Sleep....Temporary.........EASILY removed when you install walls......................like JACQUEG

All the labor is FREE.............you need to pay for your parts.........We're OLD........

Hello folks,

1. I want to put a MaxAir fan in my Ford Transit but I'm not able to afford a whole electrical/solar system. [I'm leaving the walls accessible for that, later.] Does anyone know if these fans can be wired to plug into a power station like Bluetti?

2. I'd also like to find someone who can diagnose the power set-up in my van. It already has wiring connected to the alternator and two lead batteries beneath the vehicle. Inside the van there are male and female plugs, along with what looks like an internet/modem plug. I can also see wires grounded to the van metal, and a fuse box. The dealer had zero info on it. When I put down a deposit on the van, there was an inverter inside, with a button on the dash to turn it off/on. It looks like their crew removed the inverter and instead, put plugs in. I've tried to get a few professionals to tell me if it's usable, if it needs to have an inverter put back on it, or even if the batteries still work, but I end up only getting quotes for a solar installation, way out of my price range. No blame - I did ask for quotes for solar too, but I'd like to know if what's in there is usable, without solar? Perhaps I could simply upgrade the batteries, add an inverter, and be good to go, using the alternator to power? Looking to find someone who could diagnose and do it as economically as possible. I could drive to Quartzite from San Diego, if necessary. I also just appreciate suggestions and insights.

Hello folks,

Take abnorm up on his offer! It's worth the drive!

You really don't NEED solar until/unless you get a refrigerator. A power station will keep you going until then. Buy the largest one you can pay cash for, it will always come in handy. Buy it from Home Depot because if it's necessary to return it, there's a Home Depot everywhere.

Last edited:
One of the images posted in this thread put a big grin on my face. How could anyone new to doing electrical wiring work look at that image with all those wires and devices attached to the wall of the van and also that very large Bluetti unit the guy is moving and think it was actually going to be EASY to do. It is just a funny image, and should not be considered as a comment on the video itself, I have not watched it.
IMG_1137.jpeg

Be wary of Home Depot’s new warranty policies. Many warranty returns are processed through an east coast company and no longer handled in-store. Much paper work and documentation make it a nightmare to deal with in my opinion.

Buy it from Home Depot because if it's necessary to return it, there's a Home Depot everywhere.
I use Home Depot extensively. Most products sold have only a 90 day return policy (commercial accounts have 1 year). Extended warranties can be purchased on some products, including power stations. Although I've never bought a power station from them, I have warranties on dozens of appliances and probably file 1-2 claims a year. It's been my experience that warranty claims are not handled by returning the item to the store. If that's important to you, confirm that's how they handle power stations.

Costco sells power stations on its website. They have an excellent return policy, and items can be returned to a store location. Their prices are often lower than anywhere else (eg. EcoFlow Delta Pro $2450).

Amazon has no name power stations that offer a lot of watt hours per dollar. Adding on a 4 year warranty by Asurion minimizes the risk associated with going with these untested brands. I've never had any problems with claims filed with Asurion.

Pirate Camp will be in Quartzsite by November 15...........I'm sure a Helper and I could SEE what's going on in the first Hour...........Fixing that could take a couple days.....We would expect to REwire and fix all that added mess........

Those Batteries......who knows........We can figure them out .............I also have a Transit

What about that Solar.........San Tan is in Gilbert near Phoenix for cheap panels?

Do you camp ?.......We're in the LTVA......$40/two weeks......We could throw you a cord from a generator during daytime for a Coffee maker/skillet borrowed from your S&B........Camp is a long walk (500') to the vault toilet...........You'll need a sleeping bag......... cooler for Drinks/Breakfast/Lunch........Water......We could feed you Supper each day........Town is 15 mins away

Actually if you came out the first thing I would do is build you a bed.......Hung from the walls........SIT and Sleep....Temporary.........EASILY removed when you install walls......................like JACQUEG

All the labor is FREE.............you need to pay for your parts.........We're OLD........
Omg, that is so kind of you, thank you! I'm OLD too. Lol. [55] I just finished installing the subfloor and bed, aiming to lay the vinyl flooring down this weekend. I'm all set for camping [futon mattress, cooler, potty, bedding, mr buddy heater, camp stove, etc.] Even just to have you guys to look at it, remove it, or give me advice for the best way forward would be incredible. Maybe it all just gets removed? Then I could start fresh when I'm able to buy solar, bluetti, build the roof racks, etc.

I'm dying to meet the infamous Pirate Camp! Lol. I used to co-organize a meetup group called The Pirate Festival Camping Brigade. [It was something like that.] Imagine I'd fit right in! ( ;

Here's some pix of current status. Thanks again, so appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_3779.png
    IMG_3779.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3836.png
    IMG_3836.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3838.png
    IMG_3838.png
    407.7 KB · Views: 0
Take abnorm up on his offer! It's worth the drive!

You really don't NEED solar until/unless you get a refrigerator. A power station will keep you going until then. Buy the largest one you can pay cash for, it will always come in handy. Buy it from Home Depot because if it's necessary to return it, there's a Home Depot everywhere.
Love this. Thank you Jacqueg! Plus, I have a Home Depot credit card. Lol. I definitely want to get the AC200Max. ( :

Be wary of Home Depot’s new warranty policies. Many warranty returns are processed through an east coast company and no longer handled in-store. Much paper work and documentation make it a nightmare to deal with in my opinion.
Good to know! I'll make sure to ask. Those things are too heavy to ship.

I use Home Depot extensively. Most products sold have only a 90 day return policy (commercial accounts have 1 year). Extended warranties can be purchased on some products, including power stations. Although I've never bought a power station from them, I have warranties on dozens of appliances and probably file 1-2 claims a year. It's been my experience that warranty claims are not handled by returning the item to the store. If that's important to you, confirm that's how they handle power stations.

Costco sells power stations on its website. They have an excellent return policy, and items can be returned to a store location. Their prices are often lower than anywhere else (eg. EcoFlow Delta Pro $2450).

Amazon has no name power stations that offer a lot of watt hours per dollar. Adding on a 4 year warranty by Asurion minimizes the risk associated with going with these untested brands. I've never had any problems with claims filed with Asurion.
Great info, thanks! I'll have to do my due diligence.

Latest posts