Outdoor furniture to feel more home like?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
Ok so I been at the LTVA and I’m only on my 3rd spot since November and heading into summer I’m kinda feeling like I wanna as something to make my space more home like..

I’m in a minivan, but I did add a few outside solar lights and a lawn chair but besides that what do you other lovely people do to make the “front porch” feel more like YOUR home for 2 weeks while boondocking? 

I don’t think wind chimes be for me but maybe one of those wind socks? Besides that a flag but that’s starting to get into political zone / statement area which I’m not sure I want to go there either...

I have a tent but I like being more contained in my van. ?‍♂️ Just wondering if anyone has any great ideas maybe an outdoor rug might help but besides that not sure what else.. what do you think?

I like a very large Sun Shade (Coolaroo brand)..............It's no good for a rain tarp but it is an oasis of SHADE in the desert

Mini garden flag? the holder is small but heavy metal but very home gardeny maybe you could rig up a wooden pole.

LOL I’d love to set up a kitchen but I can’t cook. People ask ask that and I say yes of course I can cook but nothing a human would eat. My dog usually gets my attempts so I’m jealous.

crofter said:
I like to set up an outdoor kitchen.
-crofter
Consists of folding plastic table with adjustable height, 2 burner coleman stove, proane bottle & hose. Pretty simple setup for a spot with no picnic table.

Some people prefer a tabletop gas grill to a stove. = no pots and pans & you can grill both meat and veg, and use during the summer burn bans.

Charcoal type grills are messier with the ash, and are not approved for use during a burn ban.
-crofter

Close your eyes and visualize what feels homelike. But be aware that it is quiite possible that it could be trees, grass and wate that are the missing elements. But not to worry you will soon be on tne move to get out of the desert heat. Until then I would not worry too much about it because you have not yet adapted in yor head to accepting home is where you park it. It could be the element you are missing is sounds. Not a lot of bird song at the desert LTVA so try playing a youtube video with familiar bird song sounds and sit with your eyes closed and see how that feels.

I loved listening to the sound of the doves in France when I did a camping trip there. That made me feel very happy the whole 3 week trip.

The last place I was living for a number of years was right by a saltwater beach. So seagulls were a daily background noise along with other small birds.

If it is a water fountain noise that creates a homey feel there are small solar powered tabletop water feature fountains. Of course you can also get kits to make custom ones. A tiny one could be just right to put by uour chair.

Music is always nice, so find your way to have music.
For me it is having something to work on sewing, crocheting, painting, etc. also a good comfy spot to read an old loved book. Hubby likes his chess set out. He also is trying to have a TV for all the time. AIN"t going to happen!
We are getting better over the table lighting. As far a table, it has to have a table cloth so it doesn't feel like bird poop is on my table.
I am looking into getting some 'wall' cloths to add just a bit of privacy on either side of my kitchen. They are going to be artful things, maybe shower curtains. Maybe tapestry or something. I like a small side something to set things on beside my chair. Something to set my book on and have my tea on etc.
I like it if ever my hubby remembers and brings me a flower or something pretty to put in the center of the table.
I have made pillow things to hold my extra blankets and I have a few homemade quilts on our bed as well as art on the wall. For me it is making things look clean bright and organized in a 'pretty way'. I like cloths lines sounds silly and no I don't hang out our undies or any thing but colorful towels or cloths. I like the color moving in the breeze. Hubby does not like cloths lines says it makes us look to much like tramps. So we don't get to much out at once. And like I said never undies or stuff.

I stead of towels on a clothes line you cang get strings of colorful banner. Flags. The triangle shape is apopular one. They are used at lots of outdoor festival events. They are. Also easy tyo make. Popular item to make and sell on Etsy.

Pink Flamingos and Tiki torches. :D

Cheers!

Zero gravity chairs are so worth the size and weight. When the weather is nice in the afternoon, I grab a pillow and kick back and take a little nap in mine on my lanai. They're also fantastic for stargazing.

Where ever I am, my 9x12 outdoor rug defines my lanai. I wouldn't be happy without it! I can walk outside barefoot or in my slippers in the morning. It cuts down a ton on dirt coming in the door. Plus, it makes my home feel big :)

Ditto on the portable zero gravity chair. Absolutely worth the space it takes - especially if you have back issues. I've slept in mine when my back gets grumpy. Of course, I've slept in it when my back is fine, too. It's always great.

Who sells the best value zero gravity chair. I want to get one.

I had a Cabela's zero gravity until the neighbor ran it over with his tractor and I had just replaced the bungee's last summer, Dang. So I am in the market for a new. Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I had a Cabela's zero gravity until the neighbor ran it over with his tractor and I had just replaced the bungee's last summer, Dang. So I am in the market for a new. Highdesertranger

Well that one didn’t hold up to well. Did you try to bring it back [emoji3]

Menards also normally sells Zero Gravity chairs in their summer camping section (which goes up around May). They tend to have excellent prices.

Check out the Helinox Sunset Chair. Pricey, but amazing engineering and incredibly packable and light weight. I just bought another one.

I am a minimalist type to the core so for me it is a rug in front of my door area to keep things cleaner and then I have a chair I love and a small side table. Done. I want nothing else LOL

My hubby, omg, exact opposite of me. He puts 'it all out' from an EZ UP tent and makes his outdoor grill area.
Then comes out a lounge chair. One outdoor rug is enough for me yet he brings 3 and rugs up a big area and he rugs up his outdoor kitchen area too! Up go the fairy lights and he carries around a lighted palm tree! On goes the music outside. I hate that palm tree HAHA He bought me a pink flamingo solar light metal thing we carry and put it up next to the palm tree! I hate the flamingo more than the palm tree LOL

So it really is all about you truly. What do you need? I need like nothing and want nothing yet hubby brings an entire home base with him :)

Latest posts