Official Summer RTR Dates: June 16-26, 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanna be there instead of here working but, that's what happens when you own a brick & mortar business. Hopefully I'll be able to drive down & over for the next RTR. :)

I'll be with you all in spirit though. :D

Planning to head out this Thursday. Had some wood rot and roofing needs to take care of that turned into some drama and delayed progress a bit.
Put up a few hurricane shutters, and secured the windows. Although we're getting some fairly intense rain & wind, Thursday should only be getting some peripheral bands.

I'm way behind on packing, lol! Excited to get on the road, and to meet everyone!
What's the temps been like day/night?

Peaceseeker said:
Planning to head out this Thursday.  Had some wood rot and roofing needs to take care of that turned into some drama and delayed progress a bit.
Put up a few hurricane shutters, and secured the windows.  Although we're getting some fairly intense rain & wind, Thursday should only be getting some peripheral bands.

I'm way behind on packing, lol!  Excited to get on the road, and to meet everyone!
What's the temps been like day/night?

Around the 50's at night, mid 80's and up days. Compared to the desert I just came from, the winds are gentle breezes.

dragonflyinthesky said:
Around the 50's at night, mid 80's and up days. Compared to the desert I just came from, the winds are gentle breezes.
My minivan cargo space is limited and was wondering if I would regret leaving a portable propane heater (4,500-8,000 BTU) behind.  There is a possibility that after the RTR I would meander north w/a max destination of Glacier NP.  To return home (Fla.) in the Fall from wherever I am.
I'm thinking if nights get into the low 40's or below then I might have wished I brought it.  Sleeping bag is rated for temp. 20 thru -7.  
(Should this be in a diff. thread?)

Peaceseeker said:
My minivan cargo space is limited and was wondering if I would regret leaving a portable propane heater (4,500-8,000 BTU) behind.  There is a possibility that after the RTR I would meander north w/a max destination of Glacier NP.  To return home (Fla.) in the Fall from wherever I am.
I'm thinking if nights get into the low 40's or below then I might have wished I brought it.  Sleeping bag is rated for temp. 20 thru -7.  

It takes the 20s or 30s before I drag out my heater, but then I'm a tough old broad. What you may not realize, this time of the year, nights will be cold, even in the deserts but as soon as the sun starts to rise, it warms up rapidly so for me, covers are fine.

Peaceseeker said:

I don't think there is any chance you will need it before fall, so the question is, what do you mean by fall? In the high country September is fall and there is no predicting the weather. Normally you shouldn't need it until the very end of Sept or October, but all it takes is a freak early snowstorm to prove averages wrong. Above 7000 feet it's most likelly you'll need it sometime in October.
Bob

I have seen snow at elevation(8k+) in July. like Bob said this would be a freak storm, but it does happen. highdesertranger

Be warned alot of propane heaters don't like to work above 7,000 feet of altitude when it gets cold!

we just used a Buddy at 8k no problems. but I hear what your saying but, I think it depends on the elevation and the heater. highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
Be warned alot of propane heaters don't like to work above 7,000 feet of altitude when it gets cold!

This is my forth year living in Flagstaff during the Summer at 7,300 feet. I live here with other Nomads for four to five months and then go to Colorado for August at 8,600 to 10,000 near Leadville, CO with no problems with my Buddy Heater. Here currently at 3AM it is 56 degrees outside and was 84 degrees in Flagstaff. We only get warmer here in the beautiful state of Arizona. The historical average temp for Flag for June is 78 degrees. Yes, we may have a few cool mornings here in the wonderful Ponderosa forest. Come and enjoy and don't worry about your propane heater...it is the subject of another discussion on another Thread. Come to the RTR and enjoy beautiful Northern Arizona.

Hi Cindy here. I want to come. Would be driving from Minnesota in a car with two small dogs. Just wondering about my one small dog Max, 13 PDs. He loves people but can be snot with other dogs. I think he would settle down though. Will it be an issue for anyone?
Also any good places to sleep on my way? I may drive like 8-10 hours a day. Just a little nervous. :)
Thanks for any info!
Cindy

Happydog said:
Hi Cindy here. I want to come. Would be driving from Minnesota in a car with two small dogs. Just wondering about my one small dog Max, 13 PDs. He loves people but can be snot with other dogs. I think he would settle down though. Will it be an issue for anyone?
Also any good places to sleep on my way? I may drive like 8-10 hours a day. Just a little nervous. :)
Thanks for any info!
Cindy

I have a small dog that is nasty with big dogs. Please don't ask to much from the big dogs. In an instant something bad can happen. I've noticed peeps like me will often pick up our little dogs so they don't have the opportunity to be bullies. By all means, come and bring your fur family with you. Its not as hard as it seems. We also guard the little ones closely.ii never just let Cricket out of the camper, I carry her out to be sure there are no coyotes nearby. cricket and Ivy are waiting to meet your family

IMG_20160603_095137.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160603_095137.jpg
    IMG_20160603_095137.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 36
highdesertranger said:
hahahaha Diane where do you sit?  highdesertranger

I squeeze my fat butt on the left next to Cricket. If I have a guest, I just explain its easier for them to get the tea since its to hard for me to get up. Ivy fits herself under the table and I lie and say the dog isn't allowed on the furniture.

Happydog said:
Thanks for any info!
Cindy

If you're in a hurry you'll probably stay on the freeways, between the truck stops, Walmart and Cracker Barrels you won't have any problem finding  place to sleep for the night. There is a book called "The Next Exit" it lists very exit on the Interstates and tells what's there. The three places I mentioned are in red so they stand out and you can tell at a glance where the next one is.

A surprising number of small towns have FREE cramp grounds to entice you to pull in and spend the night--they know you are bound to spend some money while you are stopped. That's especially true across the mid-west where small-town America is dying.

Check out freecampsites.net for listings of them along your path. There is a great one in Winslow, AZ.

Who else knows of one?
Bob

Peaceseeker said:

My experience over 2 winters of desert travel is that cold nights were never a problem. The van warmed up fine on Cool sunny days. The only time I used my heater was one coolish cloudy day. It worked. But it wasn't worth carrying for 4 months for one use. Like you say they are pretty big and bulky. Besides I did not like how it smelled

[ATTACH=full said:
8132[/ATTACH]dragonflyinthesky pid='204947' dateline='1465510561']
I have a small dog that is nasty with big dogs. Please don't ask to much from the big dogs. In an instant something bad can happen. I've noticed peeps like me will often pick up our little dogs so they don't have the opportunity to be bullies. By all means, come and bring your fur family with you. Its not as hard as it seems. We also guard the little ones closely.ii never just let Cricket out of the camper, I carry her out to be sure there are no coyotes nearby. cricket and Ivy are waiting to meet your family

Thanks so much for the support! Yes I have picked up Max also when other dogs come around or I tell him to behave.  Cute dogs! I love it, they take over don't they? Boo Boo is black/white, Max is tan one.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
akrvbob said:
If you're in a hurry you'll probably stay on the freeways, between the truck stops, Walmart and Cracker Barrels you won't have any problem finding  place to sleep for the night. There is a book called "The Next Exit" it lists very exit on the Interstates and tells what's there. The three places I mentioned are in red so they stand out and you can tell at a glance where the next one is.

A surprising number of small towns have FREE cramp grounds to entice you to pull in and spend the night--they know you are bound to spend some money while you are stopped. That's especially true across the mid-west where small-town America is dying.

Check out freecampsites.net for listings of them along your path. There is a great one in Winslow, AZ.

Who else knows of one?
Bob
Thank you Bob! I will look this up!