RTR 2018 - Wild Idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mert6706

Reaction score
Open Letter to Anyone Attending RTR in January:

I am not yet a Rubber Tramp, I''m a Wannabe!

I'm tied down to a rental lease until January 1 . Sick and tired of never having enough $$  left over for groceries, medications, haircuts, clothes, shoes, etc. Lots of folks out there know what I'm talking about. Following the rules hasn't gottten me anywhere but STUCK!!

I don't have a vehicle, not even a car, nor the means to purchase one.  But where there's a will there's a way and I'm determined to adopt the llifestyle ASAP. Once I don't have to pay rent I can find a way to buy something.

I'm studying the forum, the videos, blogs etc and am going to do it, if I have to start out in a tent. (That wouldn't be bad, I've always loved tent camping,) but Bob has said the wind and blowing dirt can make tent camping impossible. He has also stated tents don't last out there.

Anyway, I have wracked my brain trying to figure a way to atted RTR for a few days and talk to all the great folks out there, look at different setups and find out how they cope with issues of hygiene, comfort, privacy, finances, etc. The videos are fantastic sources of information, and The Forums give great advice, and I'm grateful for the access, but they don't allow me to see for myself or meet you folks in person.

Just wondering if there's anybody out there willing to take me along to RTR if I bring my own set up and share in the price of gas, etc. I know it's a long shot. You don't know me, or anything about me. I'd take up a fair bit of space with tent, mattess, sleeping bag, food containers, etc. And, I would need transport going and coming back to Nevada.That may be a tall order if you're heading out in another direction.  I could be picked up and delivered back to either Pahrump or North Las Vegas, both Nevada.

Full Disclosure:

I promise I'm not a serial killer!

I have one daughter who teaches high school sciences and a grandson currently studying architecture. They live in North Las Vegas. I lost my son two years ago.

I'm 78 years young, curious and cheerfullly flexible, get along fine with all kinds of folks, love single life, the outdoors, the desert,  camping, dogs, cooking, baking, writing,  reading, music especilly blues, college and NFL football--I've been a "cheesehead" for 70 years. Grew up in the Midwest where folks are kind, down to earth, neighborly, compassionate, generous, independent. I'd like to hang out with people who share the values I was raised on, who still salute the flag, practice the Golden Rule and abhor where our country has gone in the last fifty years. Love sitting around a campfire and sharing food, thoughts, philosphy, etc. I don't, however, enjoy debating politics or religion.

I carry oxygen, and I'm kind of handicapped in that some fool came along and lowered the ground and the floors, so I can't reach them anymore. I'm in good health in spite of those issues; my doctor says I'll live to a hundred at the rate I'm going. So I don't want to sit here and stagnate. I want that freedom Bob and the other nomads I see on Utube are so passionate about--I want to control my life instead of having it control me! As George Jones sang, "I don't need no rocking chair!"

I think you would most likely love me, unless you're a Chicago Bears fan, then we might have to agree to disagree!

Thanks for your time and attention reading my mini-novel here!

Hoping against hope, I am
--edit, I edited out her personal info please PM her if you can help. thanks highdesertranger

hey, you probably shouldn't put your information on a public forum.
I'm also not van dwelling yet, so best of luck to you.

sometimesido said:
hey, you probably shouldn't put your information on a public forum.
I'm also not van dwelling yet, so best of luck to you.

+1000000 on what sometimes said.   ^^^^^^^  We're all great people and trustworthy and stuff,  but you need to be more careful.  For your own good.   PLEASE. 

Pat

Welcome aboard!
X2 on the personal info.
A mod can remove that for you and you could then use the PM function .

if you all didn't notice I edited out her info, please PM her if you can help. highdesertranger

Just a thought Mert:

Can you walk and climb the short stairs onto a bus? I'm assuming you can.

Maybe you could pack up a small tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, and pillow, and clothing for a week and ride a bus to Quartzite, and be picked up by someone there who could take you to the event, buy some food and maybe a cheap styrofoam cooler along the way, borrow a campchair, etc, and help you setup the tent.

This could provide a bit more independence and limit the 'nerve' factor riding with a stranger for 2 days or whatever.

Then when you are ready to go back to the bus terminal, they (or someone) could take you back to town and you will board the bus for home. If its a cheap tent you can just toss it in a dumpster as you leave, since it may suffer some wear and tear during your stay.

I found a Greyhound Bus fare online for $65 round trip. Buses are comfortable these days, I took a long trip on one recently, and they have internet wifi, a power outlet, and of course restrooms.

Just a thought....if you don't wish to or cant do this, then just disregard....

Good luck to you!

haha I thought no way Greyhound goes to Quartzsite. but guess what they do. then I saw 9 hours one way and thought wtf. but they go via los Angeles. so you do have that option. highdesertranger

tx2sturgis said:
re:  "Just a thought......."

Ha Ha 
Saint or sinner. good you're adept at damage control.

angel.gif
Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
Ha Ha 
Saint or sinner. good you're adept at damage control.

It goes back to the thrashing I received as a newbie on here when I suggested public transportation to another member who was car-less....

Sometimes sincere suggestions are interpreted as expensive commandments....so I just like to leave a little 'wiggle room'...cuz you never know.

:cool:

How about borrowing your daughter's car and car camping during the RTR?
Your daughter could use public transportation or make arrangements to car pool with a co-worker to get to work.

Van Lady said:
How about borrowing your daughter's car and car camping during the RTR?
Your daughter could use public transportation or make arrangements to car pool with a co-worker to get to work.

Thanks for the suggestion. Borrowing my daughter's car isn't feasible because of her work. I looked into renting a car and found the insurance cost would be prohibitive.  One day would have been around $200 (including the rental charge).  Also discovered one can no longer be insured as a driver. You can't buy insurance if you don't own a vehicle, at least that is what I'm being told by the agents where I live. I'm going to have to give up on the RTR for this year unless I can buy something before then. I do appreciate all the support and suggestions. If it's meant to be, it will be! Thanks, everybody. Have a great time.

tx2sturgis said:
Just a thought Mert:

Can you walk and climb the short stairs onto a bus? I'm assuming  you can.

Maybe you could pack up a small tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, and pillow,  and clothing for a week and ride a bus to Quartzite, and be picked up by someone there who could take you to the event, buy some food and maybe a cheap styrofoam cooler along the way, borrow a campchair, etc, and help you setup the tent.

This could provide a bit more independence and limit the 'nerve' factor riding with a stranger for 2 days or whatever.

Then when you are ready to go back to the bus terminal, they (or someone) could take you back to town and you will board the bus for home. If its a cheap tent you can just toss it in a dumpster as you leave, since it may suffer some wear and tear during your stay.

I found a Greyhound Bus fare online for $65 round trip. Buses are comfortable these days, I took a long trip on one recently, and they have internet wifi, a power outlet, and of course restrooms.

Just a thought....if you don't wish to or cant do this, then just disregard....

Good luck to you!
Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't even check the bus 'cause I just assumed it wouldn't go to Quartzite. I'm surprised. Yes, I could climb the steps to board the bus but don't know how I would handle schlepping all the equipment to and from. I'm not very strong. Also wonder if they would let me take all that stuff. You are so kind to think out a plan for me and take the time to reply. I appreciate your input!

don't give up. first things first. when you rent a car insurance comes with it. I recently rented a car and it was under 30 bucks a day, insurance included. second you can still get a ride it's only been about a week since you first put out feelers, give it some time. keep bumping your thread to keep it at the top. I cannot make any promises at this time but if you could get your gear to Mohave Valley, AZ(118 miles towards Quartzsite) I could get your gear there. there is a slim chance I could get you there to, but like I said at this point I can't make any promises. highdesertranger

Total walk away pay nothing insurance is extra fee, plus the deposit is about $150~$200. Oh and don't get added insurance from Expedia website, Enterprise did not honor it. Will probably never use Expedia again.

mert6706 said:
Yes, I could climb the steps to board the bus but don't know how I would handle schlepping all the equipment to and from.

Mert, buses haul 'bus freight' all the time....there are LARGE cargo bays under the floor of the bus, and whoever is helping you,  friend, Uber driver, taxi driver or the bus driver, or the attendants at the bus terminals do this all the time. It's part of their job. A small tip is, of course, welcome by most of these folks.

You could pack the tent, pillow, and airmattress and a few camping supplies in a large duffel bag, or even a really big pillow case, and your clothing in another duffle bag. Soft luggage travels well on a bus. Especially handy is a roller luggage bag that you have seen pilots use. They are not very expensive, you might even borrow one or find a used one on Craigslist or a Goodwill store locally. 

Then a small carry-on bag or large purse with a shoulder strap, for snacks and your cell phone charger and whatever supplies and meds you might need to bring.

Trust me, its do-able if you want to make it happen. Of course, its up to you, but you sound like a fun lady and someone I'd enjoy meeting out there.

ccentricitytx2sturgis said:
Mert, buses haul 'bus freight' all the time....there are LARGE cargo bays under the floor of the bus, and whoever is helping you,  friend, Uber driver, taxi driver or the bus driver, or the attendants at the bus terminals do this all the time. It's part of their job. A small tip is, of course, welcome by most of these folks.

You could pack the tent, pillow, and airmattress and a few camping supplies in a large duffel bag, or even a really big pillow case, and your clothing in another duffle bag. Soft luggage travels well on a bus. Especially handy is a roller luggage bag that you have seen pilots use. They are not very expensive, you might even borrow one or find a used one on Craigslist or a Goodwill store locally. 

Then a small carry-on bag or large purse with a shoulder strap, for snacks and your cell phone charger and whatever supplies and meds you might need to bring.

Trust me, its do-able if you want to make it happen. Of course, its up to you, but you sound like a fun lady and someone I'd enjoy meeting out there.

Well, you've given me inspiration, thanks! Going to go to my daughter's and make a pile of the tent, sleeping bag etc., everything I'd need, and see how big a challenge I have and go from there! I'm trying to be practical while not giving up. Thanks for spurring me on. PS, I'm a riot around a campfire after a glass or two! I told a guy on a plane once, when I reached a certain age I gave up on beautiy and converted to eccentric smartass. He appreciated that.

highdesertranger said:
don't give up.  first things first.  when you rent a car insurance comes with it.  I recently rented a car and it was under 30 bucks a day,  insurance included.  second you can still get a ride it's only been about a week since you first put out feelers,  give it some time.  keep bumping your thread to keep it at the top.  I cannot make any promises at this time but if you could get your gear to Mohave Valley,  AZ(118 miles towards Quartzsite) I could get your gear there.  there is a slim chance I could get you there to,  but like I said at this point I can't make any promises.  highdesertranger

(1) Would you feel comfortable to pm me the company and location where you rented a car so much less than what I'm being quoted? thanks if you can
(2)  Will check the location of Mohave Valley, thanks. That's a very generous offer and much appreciated! I haven't even met any of you nomads and I love the community already.  All the kindness and willingness to help reminds me of the small town neighborliness where I grew up. "Dear Hearts and Gentle People."

the company was Enterprise and their prices are the same everywhere.

Mohave Valley is about half way between Vegas and Quartzsite. right on the way. I can for sure haul your gear. a far as giving you a ride those circumstances are beyond my control but if the situation allows it and you can get a ride to Mohave Valley I would be more then happy to get you there. highdesertranger

Latest posts