Cowboy Trail

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for commenting. What were some of your favorite hikes and what got you into camping/hiking so much??
The biggest and most notable for most people would be the seven day trip to the Grand Canyon. A group of 19 of us crossed the canyon, 10 in one group came off the north rim and 9 of us off the south rim. We got our own car keys back at Phantom Ranch and proceeded out the opposite rim we had entered by. We took side trips at Indian Gardens and Cotton Wood camp grounds in the heart of the canyon. Truly a trip of a lifetime. Burnt Timber trail above Lemon Lake east of Durango up to Dollar lake and other places in the San Juan Mountains. Most of our backpacking was local in the BLM lands and forest lands of northwest New Mexico with a compass and topographical maps of the area across country bushwhacking. If a name on the map was interesting or a spring was noted that is were we went to without any trail to follow. We mountain biked in the same area plus east of Navajo Lake and the Carson Forest. We boated and fished a lot on Navajo Lake. We caught mud cat fish, channel cat fish, pike, crappie, blue gill and rainbow trout. Our kids went on to add rock climbing (bouldering I think it is called), technical mountain climbing, & spelunking (caving) to their outdoor adventures. They are both in their 50 and still don't let an opportunity to be out of doors pass them by.

What got me started? I was born into a family that hunted, fished, camped and loved the outdoors. My maternal grandfather homesteaded in eastern NM at Pep in 1908 and my own father homesteaded during the depression near Corona in NM. I married into a family of pioneers like my own family who hunted, fished and camped. Even though I had not camped enough times to count on one hand by adulthood I had taken to it like a fish to water and my husband, I and our children started camping, fishing, hunting, etc. as soon as we had the means to do so. Maybe I was born to be an outdoors woman. I've a love for animals and plants. Bird watching was a great part of our outdoor adventures and many trips were taken explicitly for birding even though they were by bike, boat on foot with backpacks. We saw many rare birds in different environments most people never go to in their lives. The Grand Canyon, the 12,000' mountains above Silverton, Colorado are just a couple of places we saw very rare birds that live only in those places. Although most of our adventuring was in the Four Corners states we did make it to Georgia, & Florida for some spectacular hiking and bird watching.

Did that give you an idea of what you were asking for?

I stand corrected, Sage, that Chaco is younger than I recalled, and thank you.

From the Chaco website…”ancestral Puebloan culture dating between 850 and 1250 CE”.

CE meaning Common Era, the same as AD. I had to look that up. 😅

It's currently day 4, but let's go back to day 3. The night passed smoothly, more fireflies and coyotes singing to the moon. Also, I'm sure some of yall know this, but cows get weirdly chatty at night. Might be a conspiracy.

I set off early, having broken camp by 630 and was down the trail. It's been interesting watching the landscape change from the riparian zone I was first in, to the rolling prairies and farmlands now. It's beautiful too in its own way, fields of swaying corn, curious cows and horses and all kinds of birds. Also, I found a railroad spike. I'm not sure how old it is and when exactly they pulled up the tracks, but I kept it as a memento. It's not even quite accurate to say that I found. Somewhere out there is an archeologist gopher. It was laying just outside its burrow, obviously having been pulled out by the furry little Indiana Jones.

Really, God's country if I had to put a term to it. All the monarch butterflies seemed to agree. I felt at peace and full of gratitude.

I stopped for a bit in Meadow Grove. There wasn't much there, but it was neat because the whole town was throwing a little block party because their ems dispatcher was retiring. What a community. The library had me paint a rock to join the others, and then I was down the trail.

This part was a bit of a slog. I decided to push through to Tilden because it was only five miles. Well. That was a long and hot 5 miles with no shade. This was the first time I really questioned where what I was doing was smart. But I kept on, eventually a couple pulled over and asked if I needed a ride. They seemed really excited when I told them what I was doing, which in turn pumped me up.

This is the America that I like. The people, communities and landscapes. This country made a promise and where I don't feel like we're there now, we could be.

Anyways, I finally rolled into town, got set up and then was absolutely lashed by a heavy rainstorm last night. I'm grateful it happened while I was in town. I stayed largely dry, but discovered that two corners of my tent seep.

And man, the noise. If power had a sound, that's what the storm was like from within a tent. I felt vulnerable in a way. I think largely because I was so reliant on my gear and just how little separated me from the elements.

Another storm is on the horizon though. The two front wheels on my cart are failing. The adhesive holding the rubber part to the rim failed. I bought some gorilla glue, but suspect it will tear free again. If the cart were to fail between towns, I would be in trouble.

That said, have yall had amazon deliver to a small town in which you're not a resident? Maybe the post office allows it? Would love some input here.

Thanks for reading, it's been fun to share my experience.

Attachments

• 20230812_101535.jpg
    20230812_101535.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_095612.jpg
    20230812_095612.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_093828.jpg
    20230812_093828.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_091810.jpg
    20230812_091810.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_085734.jpg
    20230812_085734.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_085309.jpg
    20230812_085309.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230811_162206.jpg
    20230811_162206.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_120937.jpg
    20230812_120937.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Your pictures are lovely. The blue flowers are chicory. You could have harvested some and roasted the roots for a coffee substitute. I understand it is a flavor you have to develop a taste for.

I didn't realize until your above post that you were using a cart on your journey. Or did I misunderstand the "rolled into town" portion. Are you backpacking instead? May your travels be blessed.

I stand corrected, Sage, that Chaco is younger than I recalled, and thank you.

From the Chaco website…”ancestral Puebloan culture dating between 850 and 1250 CE”.

CE meaning Common Era, the same as AD. I had to look that up. 😅
I'm old school. Like they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, not that I don't learn, I'm just bullheaded and use what I grew up with because I don't like that the elite (who ever they are) have decided to change so much of our culture. Therefore I used the old terms that are pushing 2000 years of use and have a personal meaning to me. Looks like I was off a bit on the dates myself. I too, stand corrected.

If you are into Indian Ruins may I suggest Aztec Ruins, Samon Ruins, Mesa Verdi, Ruins, Yellow Jacket and some others that you will learn of if you visit them.
Many years ago I lived in the Four Corners region of Colorado. One of the more remote Anasazi ruins to visit is Hovenweep National Monument near Montezuma Creek, UT. It's really out in the "middle of nowhere." They have a small, 31-site campground near the visitor center.

^^^ Nope, it’s just on the way to middle of nowhere! The area south of Natural Bridges between Utah highway 261 (where the Kane Creek ranger station is located) and 276 bordered on the north by 95 and the south by the San Juan river has over 2,000 documented sites and many other that are not which can only be accessed during wet spring and fall months pretty much due to high temps and lack of water required to hike into them.

^^^ Nope, it’s just on the way to middle of nowhere! The area south of Natural Bridges between Utah highway 261 (where the Kane Creek ranger station is located) and 276 bordered on the north by 95 and the south by the San Juan river has over 2,000 documented sites and many other that are not which can only be accessed during wet spring and fall months pretty much due to high temps and lack of water required to hike into them.
Very interesting. I didn't know about those 2000+ documented sites. Thank you.
Many years ago I lived in the Four Corners region of Colorado. One of the more remote Anasazi ruins to visit is Hovenweep National Monument near Montezuma Creek, UT. It's really out in the "middle of nowhere." They have a small, 31-site campground near the visitor center.
Hovenweep National Monument and Yellow Jacket Ruins I have not been to. The others, Mesa Verdi toward Aztec I've been too and many that are mostly know by locals south east of Aztec in the canyon country. The ones SE of Aztec are not Anasazi. They are reconquest. They are built on top of big rocks and you can see a fire, lite or smoke from one to the other. A characteristic you would only expect in a peoples very afraid and certain they had enemies they expected to come after them. Also, many pictographs through out the canyons the sentry rocks are in. All very interesting places to go.

I don't know how to work the multi quote from a phone, but yes Sage, I'm pushing a cart. I'm also finishing my degree through online classes and it's to much weight to carry.

Which brings me to my next post.

I'm currently hunkered down in a small town in Nebraska until the 22nd. The front wheels on my cart are failing and I feel so grateful to have caught that in town rather than between.

I bought a replacement on Amazon that uses smaller bike tires that I feel will be much more up to the job.

Luckily, the campground is super cheat and the town is lovely. Like picture everything you ever thought was good about small town America, and you'd this town.

In the mean time, I've been walking the town and putting up my miles, that way I'm even leaner and meaner leaving out the town than I was coming in.

There really are worse places to be. Kids leave their bikes ok the sidewalks here, and I leave my camp with no fear of anything being taken. Everybody is really nice and very talkative. I'm pretty sure that politically I don't fit on here at all, that doesn't quite seem to matter. Maybe it's because I'm here for only a short while and thusly everything is shallow, or maybe it's because community is that much more emphasized out here. I think it's the latter.

While I've never been misanthropic, I've also never been all that social. I find some of that is melting away and I'm talking to and connecting with some of these people.

Also, I think that living in a tent at least for now, is deconstructing my sense of space and belonging. A house seems increasingly stifling and more like a ball and chain than anything else. I'm also reading Walden for the first time and find myself feeling very validated.

So yes, I'm dealing with a setback, but I'm still smiling about it. It's just part of the trip. I guess I mean that the shade doesn't feel so nice without first having labored in the sun.

My order was lost by Amazon, so I continued down the trail. The older pictures were largely taken in a riparian zone, but I'm now pretty much out on the prairies. It's beautiful in its own way. It's much more austere, so the sunflowers, birds and the odd stalk of corn persisting in the wrong place all stick out. Shady places are also fewer and farther between, but something so simple feels so good when laboring in the sun.

The tree shown in the pictures below is what I slept under last night and what largely protected me from the 100 degree Temps we're seeing.

It isn't all sunshine though. The mosquito bites are plentiful, and there is something around here that I'm really allergic to.

Small prices to pay.

The thing with people has been the most profound. I've been connecting with so many people and making friends. The walls of a house/apartment are truly isolating.

Got some long days with bigger mileage ahead, and looking forward to it. With hikers, I'm starting to get it. I think our bodies love covering distance like this. It's pretty much a constant endorphin rush.

Till next time

Attachments

• 20230824_094536.jpg
    20230824_094536.jpg
  • 20230824_081924.jpg
    20230824_081924.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230823_104606.jpg
    20230823_104606.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230823_085725.jpg
    20230823_085725.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230823_081623.jpg
    20230823_081623.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230823_081259.jpg
    20230823_081259.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230823_072545.jpg
    20230823_072545.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230822_200959.jpg
    20230822_200959.jpg
My order was lost by Amazon, so I continued down the trail. The older pictures were largely taken in a riparian zone, but I'm now pretty much out on the prairies. It's beautiful in its own way. It's much more austere, so the sunflowers, birds and the odd stalk of corn persisting in the wrong place all stick out. Shady places are also fewer and farther between, but something so simple feels so good when laboring in the sun.

The tree shown in the pictures below is what I slept under last night and what largely protected me from the 100 degree Temps we're seeing.

It isn't all sunshine though. The mosquito bites are plentiful, and there is something around here that I'm really allergic to.

Small prices to pay.

The thing with people has been the most profound. I've been connecting with so many people and making friends. The walls of a house/apartment are truly isolating.

Got some long days with bigger mileage ahead, and looking forward to it. With hikers, I'm starting to get it. I think our bodies love covering distance like this. It's pretty much a constant endorphin rush.

Till next time
In reply to the mosquito bites. When our son was in the US Army Rangers they would eat a match head every day to keep the mosquitoes from biting. We figured out it was the sulfur in the match that kept the mosquitoes away. We figured out a small pyramid shape on the end of your knife was enough to keep us and them bite free. About 1/4 to 1/2 of a pea size is another way to measure it. It works, I know because we were backpacking rivers, lakes, marshes and other places with lots of mosquitoes and used it ourselves. We went to the drug store and asked for flowers of sulfur. It used to be used that way, as a powder, as a medicine until the 50's or 60's when it was put into tablets instead. I was not able to get it this year from the drug store where I could get 4 ounces. I had to order online. I think the minimum was a pound. Anyway, if you chose to use it I'm sure it will help keep you mosquito bite free and probably many if not all of the gnats an no-see-ums. Blessings, safety and happy trails.

In reply to the mosquito bites. When our son was in the US Army Rangers they would eat a match head every day to keep the mosquitoes from biting. We figured out it was the sulfur in the match that kept the mosquitoes away. We figured out a small pyramid shape on the end of your knife was enough to keep us and them bite free. About 1/4 to 1/2 of a pea size is another way to measure it. It works, I know because we were backpacking rivers, lakes, marshes and other places with lots of mosquitoes and used it ourselves. We went to the drug store and asked for flowers of sulfur. It used to be used that way, as a powder, as a medicine until the 50's or 60's when it was put into tablets instead. I was not able to get it this year from the drug store where I could get 4 ounces. I had to order online. I think the minimum was a pound. Anyway, if you chose to use it I'm sure it will help keep you mosquito bite free and probably many if not all of the gnats an no-see-ums. Blessings, safety and happy trails.
I have never heard of that, but will give it a try. The gnats and the no-seeums have also been pretty annoying too. Thank you!

Thank you, I read through both links, pretty interesting. I tried permetherin before I set out, but I think clothes need a couple treatments, not just one

Well today was a little different. A good portion of the trail was closed, and you're detoured the shoulder of the highway which is where I walked for around 8 miles. Most people moved over, but one guy tried to kinda swerve at me and "roll coal." Too bad his timing is off for that, and it also sounds like his lifters are out of adjustment. I hope he enjoys the mechanic's bill. Ha!

Put about 13 miles and am camped just outside of a town with no campgrounds. We aren't supposed to camp on the trail, but what else can I do.

Somewhere, an imbalance in the world has been remedied. You see, I saw a single shoe on the trail earlier. Didn't think much of it, other than noting that it's a trail runner. Well I've been doing hobo laundry as I go and sort of draping the item(s) over the cart as I go to dry. Well. I lost a sock doing this. A single sock, mind you. One sock, for one shoe. Funny world we live in.

Also, anyone know what that number sign next to the trail meant? Maybe it was a mile marker that corresponded to the trail? It's in the pics.

Till next time

Attachments

• 20230826_121149.jpg
    20230826_121149.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_114147.jpg
    20230826_114147.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_091154.jpg
    20230826_091154.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_085437.jpg
    20230826_085437.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230826_080902(0).jpg
    20230826_080902(0).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Kudos to you for tackling this trail!
We've been traveling across Nebraska along US 20 and noticed the old railbed but didn't connect it to the Cowboy Trail until a few days ago. Are you going all the way to Valentine?
We stayed at the city park in Valentine for two days waiting for cooler temperatures because our RV doesn't have air conditioning. Unfortunately, the heat is coming back in a few days and there are long stretches without any shade so make sure to drink lots of water.
Wish we didn't have a schedule to keep. We would drop down off of US 20 and buy you dinner but we're crossing into Iowa today. Good luck!

Well yesterday after putting in my miles, I was fancy and stayed at a motel. I had a sixer, did some laundry and walked around the town a bit.

I left out pretty early today. The view hasn't been so great because it runs parallel to hwy 275/20. I was nervous setting out for this leg because it's a long stretch without any water resupply points. That said, I met a people along the way that topped off water.

The first was a guy names Norman, who showed me around his garden and his wife's canning operation. Also, he was really into radios and gave me a couple jalapeños for the trail.

The second guy was under a combine and cursing up a storm at a PTO he was reconnecting. I sympathized and you know what I mean if you've ever done that kinda work.

He also had a cute dog that followed me down the trail a ways. I kept expecting her to turn back, but when she wasn't seeming to, I had just stopped and was getting ready to walk her back when her owned came down the trail to scoop her up.

I'm concerned though. My right leg was pretty stiff setting off this morning, like in the back of my heel. It seemed to loosen up, but came back with a vengeance in the past few hours, except now it stings, too. Doctor google is saying Achilles tendinitis which is what eventually turns into a torn acl. I cannot afford that.

I'm gonna see how I feel in the morning, but this may be the end of the trail for now. Feels bad.

Attachments

• 20230828_151017.jpg
    20230828_151017.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_144403.jpg
    20230828_144403.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_143024.jpg
    20230828_143024.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_142547.jpg
    20230828_142547.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_120232.jpg
    20230828_120232.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_081706.jpg
    20230828_081706.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230827_085112.jpg
    20230827_085112.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Kudos to you for tackling this trail!
We've been traveling across Nebraska along US 20 and noticed the old railbed but didn't connect it to the Cowboy Trail until a few days ago. Are you going all the way to Valentine?
We stayed at the city park in Valentine for two days waiting for cooler temperatures because our RV doesn't have air conditioning. Unfortunately, the heat is coming back in a few days and there are long stretches without any shade so make sure to drink lots of water.
Wish we didn't have a schedule to keep. We would drop down off of US 20 and buy you dinner but we're crossing into Iowa today. Good luck!
Yeah I had seen that they were broadcasting more hot weather coming later this week. I Was probably in Tilden when you were in Valentine then. The plan is to go to Valentine, but we'll see, having some foot problems

I felt pretty good this morning for about a mile before the tightness and pain resumed. I decided to call it off.

Which led to my first problem, I was stuck in a tiny town that didn't even have a gas station. There's a shuttle service that commutes out to these small communities but that wasn't gonna be until tomorrow.

So I decided to hitch for the first time. Surprisingly, it only took an hour to catch a ride. I'm 6'2 and lots of hard labor has filled out my frame, so I wasn't expecting to have any success.

This older guy pulled over and was super chill, got me to the next town over where I got a room for the night and the shuttle comes tomorrow.

In the end, I went too hard too soon. I should have more slowly built up the mileage instead of leaping ahead like I did.

But honestly, I would do it again. I fucking loved it. I've discovered a love for hiking and camping. And also, people. Met a lot of really cool people.

Not sure what I'm gonna do next. My classes are still ongoing so that must be considered. Probably gonna go chill at an ltva in Arizona for a few months

Take care of those foot problems! Depending on what's causing them, if (1) they're this intense and (2) they've come on this recently, then (1) it could be something potentially serious and (2) you could still have a chance to nip it in the bud before it /gets/ serious and entrenched.

I've been battling Achilles tendinopathy for a year, and it has totally forked my retirement plans. These good folks have listened to me 'itch about my gimp ankle often enough already, so I won't go into detail. But sudden change in walking habits/intensity is often what brings this ailment on. And if that is what you have, then early attention can sometimes get you back on your feet fast. (And if it's something else with similar symptoms, the same could well be true.)

You obviously love to hike. PRIORITIZE YOUR FEET until they're better! Take care of them and they'll take care of you. If you need a free clinic or the like, FIND one. It'll cost them less to fix you now than six months from now (if you're even worried about that, which you shouldn't be).
Good luck.