Summer RTR 2016 Highly Probable--Suggestions for Where and When?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GotSmart, if I can find it so can you. JiminDenver, I like the idea of a regional get together. I'm north of Colorado Springs so only a couple hours from Tarryall. I know there are several other members here in Colorado, and several that plan to head here around July. Maybe we can get something together for July or August?

Fingers crossed for a Colorado gathering, I'll be in gunnison national forest until October

Sounds like a blast to me. All we need to do is firm up some dates that will accommodate the most people. After mid June we tend to work a day or two a week so I am flexible.

I'll start a late Colorado mid/late summer RTR thread and start gathering info.

I will be in the area for most of June
May 24 - 26 Colorado Springs, CO
May 27-29 Montrose, CO
May 30-31 Cortez, CO
June 1 - 4 Moab, UT
June 5-8 Cannonville, UT
June 9-12 St George, UT
June 13-16 Grand Canyon
June 17-21 Sedona, AZ

akrvbob said:
At the summer RTR we won't do seminars, we'll probably just sit around, pick a topic and talk about it as a  group

Chance are fair there will be a burn ban then, but if not you could bring firewood for a campfire. 
Bob

I wanted to mention that this is a possibility here in Colorado too. That's why we carry a propane fire pit. At least the main pit will have something.

YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Count me in. I'll have Hannah finished, or close enough to wing it. I now have a 8.5' x 14' enclosed motorcycle trailer as well. Are you going to need firewood? LOL.

ainley53 said:
YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Count me in.  I'll have Hannah finished, or close enough to wing it.  I now have a 8.5' x 14' enclosed motorcycle trailer as well.  Are you going to need firewood?  LOL.

PEASE! don't bring firewood.  The chance of bug infestation killing off the forest is real!

I think he's talking about wood scraps from his build. that wood is fine to transport. no plywood or other glued wood. I would check for burn bans, no sense transporting wood you can't burn. highdesertranger

Sorry Guys, I was not really serious about bringing firewood. Although , I could if it were really needed. It would be the same kind of stuff I brought to Quartzsite; untreated 8" x 8" chunks of oak. The scrap that's left after they cut logs to size and length for railroad cross ties. UNTREATED, no creosote. If this is not safe then consider my offer retracted.

Any untreated wood can get infested.  Treated wood is toxic,  Damned if you do either way. :(  I have cut out a lot of infested oak from houses and sheds while repairing them.  

Free wood sounds great, but if just one batch of bugs hatches out.   :blush:

I remember the Dutch Elm disease, and the Japanese beetles destroying whole forests in N. Ca when I was younger.  It just was so heartbreaking to see that kind of destruction from little bugs.

GotSmart said:
Any untreated wood can get infested.  Treated wood is toxic,  Damned if you do either way. :(  I have cut out a lot of infested oak from houses and sheds while repairing them.  

Free wood sounds great, but if just one batch of bugs hatches out.   :blush:

I remember the Dutch Elm disease, and the Japanese beetles destroying whole forests in N. Ca when I was younger.  It just was so heartbreaking to see that kind of destruction from little bugs.

Thanks for the info, John. Consider my offer retracted. The last thing I want to do is destroy any of our dwindling natural resources.

ainley53 said:
Thanks for the info, John.  Consider my offer retracted.  The last thing I want to do is destroy any of our dwindling natural resources.

I know you are trying to help, and that is greatly appreciated.  It kills me to see so much wood destroyed because it cant be transported safely without treatment.  

Large commercial lumber shipments are now fumigated and covered before going on the transport.  There are special clearance conditions and treatments on international shipments using wood boxes even!  

http://internationalshippingusa.com/ISPM_15_Rules.aspx

California already has a burn ban, so I am thinking that Colorado will be soon. We will have to sit around the propane flame.   ;)

interesting, got a link to any burn bans currently in effect for California? I just went on the Cal Fire site, which issues the bans and could not find any current bans. highdesertranger

I am pretty sure we have already had one during one of the warm spells a month or so ago. Luckily we have had enough moisture lately but let us get into a drought and all bets are off.

so, that burn ban is for property owners doing brush and debris burning. not campfires. as of today(5-1-16) I can find no current campfire bans. doesn't mean it can't change at anytime. thanks for the link Got Smart. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
so,  that burn ban is for property owners doing brush and debris burning.  not campfires.  as of today(5-1-16) I can find no current campfire bans.  doesn't mean it can't change at anytime.  thanks for the link Got Smart.  highdesertranger

I was under the impression that a burn ban means any fires.   :s

You have more practical experience in that field.   Kansas and Oklahoma were having wildfires in April.  This is a crazy situation.

Latest posts