Getting the most solar out of my chevy express roof as possible

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find it easier to look for express parts over Savana parts. The starlink works great or worked great. Hail storm in Colorado last month damaged it. Other then that I love my awd 8 door home on wheels

Find it easier to look for express parts over Savana parts. The starlink works great or worked great. Hail storm in Colorado last month damaged it. Other then that I love my awd 8 door home on wheels
What Starlink plan did you use?

The rv $150 a month plan. I can admit I miss having it. May replace over the winter, will see.

For the roof vents I just took the cover off and the solar panels will prevent water from coming in. If you already have roof racks, I would just use those, unless they are flat on the roof they should easily go over any roof vent (minus the cover).
On my astrovan I prefer using one large panel versus a bunch of smaller panels. I got a 365 watt panel that has served me well for the past 3 years (maxes out at 27 amps), enough to keep my 500 ah of lithium fully charged to 100 percent every day. I had a 120 watt panel installed when I first went solar, it was installed sideways and it was sticking out over the edges which was an eyesore to me. The 365 watt panel fits nicely over the roof, none protruding over the edges. I didnt have any roof racks so I had to install 4 L-brackets to mount the panel.
View attachment 34106
The more I examine my options for mounting everything I need, the more I am leaning towards putting the vent fan underneath a panel to keep water from intruding.

Question: I see your panels are mounted on what look like stilts. Is that a roof rack, or are they custom legs for the solar panels of some sort?

So true... but it's also true that the consumption tends to grow to consume what is available... :unsure:
:p
Excellent point ! I live in a cargo van 8 ft from back of drivers seat to back doors. Occasionally l'll tell myself l should get a rack on the back of the van or on the roof. Then l ask myself, why...so l can carry more "stuff" ? Then me, l, and myself all laugh.

I have square bars of Aluminum for my roof rack. It is set up to be tilted. I installed a stainless steel continuous hinge on the front edge of the panel and the forward bar. The hinge is riveted to the bar and the panel. The rear edge of the panel is held in place with two small padlock hasp. I have never had a need to tilt the panel as I am not camping up north this last few years but i can do that if I ever needed to.

Latest posts