Highest watt solar panel(s) that can fit 112"x56" area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsnz

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been looking at how I can maximize the use of my roof space with different Renogy solar panels.

I've found that no matter how I arrange renogy panels, they are all either sticking off the edges of the van by about 3-4 inches (3x200w panels), or they are failing to make use of all of the horizontal surface area of my roof (1x550w panel, or 3x175w panels). I think I'm getting too fixated on this goal of not wasting space. I don't normally have OCD tendencies, but I've been spending 6 hours per day every weekend trying to find a satisfying setup.

I've looked at all these configurations for renogy panels and I cant seem to fill the space nicely.

Are there any other brands/sizes of panels that could fill the 112"x56" area better?

Get some graph paper. Draw on your roof dimensions. The with another piece of graph paper cut out solar panels using the dimensions of the solar panel choices the company offers.

That way you have an easy way to actually see right in front of you the solution to the puzzle with no need to ask strangers to solve this for you. No need to have your head befuddled with math. You can do this yourself!

It is back to school supply time. Graph paper is easy to find. Or if you have a printer and a computer you can use various types of computer programs to draw out the shapes, print and cut them out.

I would just get the 550 watt panel, I get by with a 365 watt panel which keeps my 500 ah of lithium at 100 percent even in winter. Get the 550 watt panel and if you need more power maybe get a smaller panel to augment it. I started with 120 watt, then upgraded to 240 watt, when that wasn't enough to run the fridge and swampcooler in summer I upgraded to 365 watts. I keep it simple by removing the old panel and installing the new panel and just plug in the 2 wires and am ready to go.
Even the smaller 120 watt panels will stick out over the edge is put out lengthwise. All solar panels have a width of about 40 inches (even the 550 watt 44.6 inches).
Dealing with only one panel will be easier with the installation and wiring.

Go

www.santansolar.com

Look at their inventory and get a good range of what is out there.

Stop looking at what retails want to sell you and broaden your scope.

Get some graph paper. Draw on your roof dimensions. The with another piece of graph paper cut out solar panels using the dimensions of the solar panel choices the company offers.

That way you have an easy way to actually see right in front of you the solution to the puzzle with no need to ask strangers to solve this for you. No need to have your head befuddled with math. You can do this yourself!

It is back to school supply time. Graph paper is easy to find. Or if you have a printer and a computer you can use various types of computer programs to draw out the shapes, print and cut them out.
Thanks for the suggestion! This paired with other brands suggested by others is very helpful.

Go

www.santansolar.com

Look at their inventory and get a good range of what is out there.

Stop looking at what retails want to sell you and broaden your scope.
Thanks so much. I do need to broaden my brands i look at, and i think i needed to hear this. Ill checkout santan and maybe some others i keep hearing about too

I would just get the 550 watt panel, I get by with a 365 watt panel which keeps my 500 ah of lithium at 100 percent even in winter. Get the 550 watt panel and if you need more power maybe get a smaller panel to augment it. I started with 120 watt, then upgraded to 240 watt, when that wasn't enough to run the fridge and swampcooler in summer I upgraded to 365 watts. I keep it simple by removing the old panel and installing the new panel and just plug in the 2 wires and am ready to go.
Even the smaller 120 watt panels will stick out over the edge is put out lengthwise. All solar panels have a width of about 40 inches (even the 550 watt 44.6 inches).
Dealing with only one panel will be easier with the installation and wiring.
Thank you! I am now leaning towards a single panel, because i dislike the mess of cabling that you get when chaining panels. Its cool to see that people get by with much less solar than i have been trying to get. Perhaps i havent done my diligence i actually calculating what my needs are. Ill take the iterative approach. Youve helped a lot

Thank you! I am now leaning towards a single panel, because i dislike the mess of cabling that you get when chaining panels. Its cool to see that people get by with much less solar than i have been trying to get. Perhaps i havent done my diligence i actually calculating what my needs are. Ill take the iterative approach. Youve helped a lot
The mess really is not all that bad on a van roof as the cable runs are not all that long. If it was a big motorhome it would take more planning out of cable runs. Just remember the first time can feel at lot more difficult but the actual doing of it is not nearly as bad as you think it will be. (Do not ever use wire nuts for any solar connections)