Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't see the reunion photo. Did it get posted right? Maybe a problem with the internet connection issue?

So glad you have a safe place though it isn't the perfect place for you. I was in a senior apartment in Idaho way back when... loved it but it wasn't the nature I longed for so I can understand your situation a bit. Then I returned to nature in the Klamath River Valley and boy did I get plenty of that ... the forest fire experience and everything (including spiders) and even right now there's another forest fire nearby... seems like every year since 2020 there's been a bad one even with loss of life situations. Terrible! And evacuations, evacuation warnings, etc...

So after all this time it is my turn for a new house and it should be groundbreaking time next week. It will be a plain simple 2 bedroom house. I'm feeling very blessed but also a bit stressed as my daughter and her family are moving off the property but not fast enough for me. I will miss them terribly but I have to have the vehicles moved off the land so the house can be built, you know?

They have here: a big class C RV, a big skoolie, a travel trailer, and a corvette. Plus their normal travel car. So today I'm hoping they will move the RV to Oregon and the Skoolie will go in my front yard to make room for the builders to come in next week.

Then there are issues with my travel trailer sewer hose line and electricity crossing the building site so they may be cut off a while until the other travel trailer is cleaned and ready to return to the lender. Please pray we get it all sorted out soon and I will pray for you to have trips to beautiful nature places.

I finally figured out that this piece of land (1/2 acre) is on a meadow and there never was a lawn in the front yard. Thus what grows out there is just the normal meadow plants - weeds, Chicory, Queen Anne's Lace (lots of that this year) and similar things. Weeds. So I'm thinking that it will be a challenge for me to replace some of that with something I'd rather have growing out there. One year at a time.

I qualified for a grant for the building of the house and to get it I had to agree to live on this property for the next five years. So I won't be traveling full time, but each year I live here I'll owe less on the house so it is worth staying. During this five years maybe I can make progress on my van build.

Trbavel-round, i’m so happy that it’s finally moving forward for you. Yes I did not get the picture put on right I’m gonna try right here again.

Blessings to all, especially those of you struggling with your health, I know how it feels so I do pray for you, really! 23 years ago when I first got the brain tumor I was a tour operator so I knew people from all over the nation. I had a Lumbee Indian tribe in Carolinas. Praying for me, the whole congregation prays all at once out loud. It’s quite an experience to hear. One of my tour operator associates, who is Catholic, went up to Saint Patricks cathedral and lit a candle for me. (In my family, if we light a candle for somebody it is usually in the bathroom) And last, but not least the minister of tourism for Israel, put A piece of paper With my name on it in a crack in the Wailing Wall. A Hindu doctor play some garlands on some sort of statue for me. I don’t understand what he did exactly but I had. All bases covered. I’ve been living with that stupid thing for 23 years now I add ITP to it. All my friends said you’ll die from being fat and having diabetes. I told the I have a brain tumor and I to lTP my name on it in a crack in the Wailing Wall. All bases covered.

God bless the nomads. I know he loves each and everyone of Them.3EB7C6FF-CE4B-4DEB-90F2-790E18FE478A.jpeg3EB7C6FF-CE4B-4DEB-90F2-790E18FE478A.jpeg

Thanks friends, for the last messages. I do not have Wi-Fi in my apartment yet, but they tell me it’s to be set up this Monday. So I haven’t been able to read or post anything on here for several weeks???

i’m now using a friends phone To tether my iPad. it’s very slow. But I should not complain, because at least I can get on the net for a bit. Till his limit of space runs out. So maybe you won’t hear from me till next week.

I through out my television 50 years ago. And, of course, When I was on the road, I didn’t need anything like that and I don’t even have a radio anymore. So the Internet is the only way I get news and talk to friends like you. Without that it makes it even more hard to stay here.

I’m trying to be very thankful for the apartment. Most people would love it. But I sit here alone all day, most days. My friend James as a regular Visitor and helper though. Without him, I don’t know what I do.

Even before I traveled in the van, I was out, watching birds and nature, and taking photographs of all kinds. I keep going back to thinking that this year, I didn’t smell lilacs. I didn’t get out in the woods to find wildflowers. I have yet to see a butterfly, and I did not see the lightning bugs either. Well, there’s still a chance I have somebody take me out. The problem is none of my friends are in the nature of the way, they won’t sit for hours like I do. I’m trying to appreciate what I have, but it ain’t easy.

I did get up to the mountain cabin for my family reunion, which was great. 99 years and one member was there for almost every one. I thought he didn’t miss any. But he did tell us that in 1942 and 43 he was on a trip around Europe. Carrying a gun and looking for Adolf. That’s all he missed. I said now where are your priorities you should’ve been here. Well, he said he was with family because he was traveling with uncle Sam.

travel around- So nice to hear from you, I missed you. The family reunion was sort of bitter sweet. As a child I remember hundreds of relatives, all descendants of my great grandparents, Joseph and Annie Nelson. This time there were 29 and threeof them had canes and me in a wheelchair. I knew that Time marches on. I just didn’t know it marched over and on us. How’s it going with your living arrangements? I don’t remember how things were when I last read your posts. I think the last time I read you were in “limbo” still coming out of the fire. I hope you rise like a Phoenix.

God bless, The Nomads, most of you are in vans are campers. But I am in nomad in a wheelchair.
You sound like a man who has loved life, who has appreciated & admired God’s handiwork. It is a pleasure to hear your input. With no radio, no TV and limited WiFi, you are alone with your thoughts but it sounds like you have many pleasurable memories to contemplate. 😊

Awesome photo thank you! You are looking great in your wheel chair, with the camera, and what a happy family you have - so many smiles.. and a few representatives of the younger generation to carry on the family legacy. Any children?

My family has children but no way are we ever going to have a united family reunion at this point. Sad, but my family started to fall apart when my grandmother passed away in 1996. She was the one that held everyone together, more than anyone else.

At this point I'm pretty much a loner in the family. Even my youngest daughter is moving away now. My youngest son moved to Reno after the fire destroyed his home.

It is a good thing I live in an amazing community that is very supportive of almost everyone in it. [There have been a few well-known thieves that somehow aren't that well loved.] I go to a church down the street and have plenty of friends here. That will have to be enough for me now.

Nature lover you could easily earn money for a new camera with a part time acting job this coming winter. But you will need to wear some bright red pants instead of those blue ones.

Mother Nature is sending the remnants of Hurricane Hilda into my camp site tonight. Just rain and thunder for now. Not sure if we will get any strong winds from it. I have not looked at the latest weather report. It is not as if it hasn’t rained lately, this is the monsoon season in Arizona. But so far it has been a mild one compared to last summer’s heavy rain as well as lots of wildfires. Thunderstorms bring rain with lightning hence more wild fires.

Saw a very big raven today, he has been visiting the campsite. Also a lot of small birds have showed up according to my friends. Their 5th wheel awning is adjacent to the trees here. My trailers is near but parked in a crating for better solar input.

Now for some actual nature talk . I am actually situated in the center of field full of gopher holes. No gophers are here though, predators must have gotten to them. The gopher holes now have provided a convenient to use access to a large, underground septic field for emptying pee jugs. No need to dig a cat hole in this area as a person could pour many gallons of liquid into those tunnel openings and never fill them up.

SAVE THE GOPHERS, they provide free labor!

Maki2 - dumping pee down that gopher hole May get to gophers Pissed off Or rather pissed on. I know everyone else thought of it, but I have to put it down because it was in my brain. If it wouldn’t come out, it would cause damage.

blessings to you all. My high speed Internet is up and running as of noon today. And then a doctor visit this afternoon and my platelets are beyond good so he’s cutting back on the medicine. I’m going back to the cancer center for an infusion on 5 September.

God bless each and every nomad from coast to coast.

Naturelover there are no gophers here, just unoccupied old gopher tunnels. I already explained that which is why no one else who read what I posted commented with concern for the well being of gophers.

The hawks and coyotes or maybe wild cats likely wiped them out as it was a record breaking harsh winter here in the mountains near Flagstaff AZ.

Last edited:
Well now that you have internet again does that mean we will get to see some of those photos soon? Might be something of a journal type thing from the beginning of your travels up to this point. TAKE NOTE! I did not say "end" you have some work to do now my friend, get that stuff so we can see it. The traveling part may be on a long hold but still plenty to do. I am curious what the difference is from the first to the latest. How your skill changed & etc. What caught your eye in things and such.

Naturelover you take your time with healing and get plenty of rest to keep from relapsing. Do not worry about entertaining me with a whole chronological order of the photos right away. I can always scroll back in this thread to see what you have already posted again. They will all look brand new to me all over again as I do not have a “photographic” memory. 🤣

Thanks friends, for the last messages. I do not have Wi-Fi in my apartment yet, but they tell me it’s to be set up this Monday. So I haven’t been able to read or post anything on here for several weeks???

i’m now using a friends phone To tether my iPad. it’s very slow. But I should not complain, because at least I can get on the net for a bit. Till his limit of space runs out. So maybe you won’t hear from me till next week.

I through out my television 50 years ago. And, of course, When I was on the road, I didn’t need anything like that and I don’t even have a radio anymore. So the Internet is the only way I get news and talk to friends like you. Without that it makes it even more hard to stay here.

I’m trying to be very thankful for the apartment. Most people would love it. But I sit here alone all day, most days. My friend James as a regular Visitor and helper though. Without him, I don’t know what I do.

Even before I traveled in the van, I was out, watching birds and nature, and taking photographs of all kinds. I keep going back to thinking that this year, I didn’t smell lilacs. I didn’t get out in the woods to find wildflowers. I have yet to see a butterfly, and I did not see the lightning bugs either. Well, there’s still a chance I have somebody take me out. The problem is none of my friends are in the nature of the way, they won’t sit for hours like I do. I’m trying to appreciate what I have, but it ain’t easy.

I did get up to the mountain cabin for my family reunion, which was great. 99 years and one member was there for almost every one. I thought he didn’t miss any. But he did tell us that in 1942 and 43 he was on a trip around Europe. Carrying a gun and looking for Adolf. That’s all he missed. I said now where are your priorities you should’ve been here. Well, he said he was with family because he was traveling with uncle Sam.

travel around- So nice to hear from you, I missed you. The family reunion was sort of bitter sweet. As a child I remember hundreds of relatives, all descendants of my great grandparents, Joseph and Annie Nelson. This time there were 29 and threeof them had canes and me in a wheelchair. I knew that Time marches on. I just didn’t know it marched over and on us. How’s it going with your living arrangements? I don’t remember how things were when I last read your posts. I think the last time I read you were in “limbo” still coming out of the fire. I hope you rise like a Phoenix.

God bless, The Nomads, most of you are in vans are campers. But I am in nomad in a wheelchair.
Well, you've still got wheels!

Trbavel-round, i’m so happy that it’s finally moving forward for you. Yes I did not get the picture put on right I’m gonna try right here again.

Blessings to all, especially those of you struggling with your health, I know how it feels so I do pray for you, really! 23 years ago when I first got the brain tumor I was a tour operator so I knew people from all over the nation. I had a Lumbee Indian tribe in Carolinas. Praying for me, the whole congregation prays all at once out loud. It’s quite an experience to hear. One of my tour operator associates, who is Catholic, went up to Saint Patricks cathedral and lit a candle for me. (In my family, if we light a candle for somebody it is usually in the bathroom) And last, but not least the minister of tourism for Israel, put A piece of paper With my name on it in a crack in the Wailing Wall. A Hindu doctor play some garlands on some sort of statue for me. I don’t understand what he did exactly but I had. All bases covered. I’ve been living with that stupid thing for 23 years now I add ITP to it. All my friends said you’ll die from being fat and having diabetes. I told the I have a brain tumor and I to lTP my name on it in a crack in the Wailing Wall. All bases covered.

God bless the nomads. I know he loves each and everyone of Them.View attachment 34231View attachment 34231
What a fine looking group!

Im not familiar with the Ipads, but theres going to be a place in your settings for internet, or however Apple terms it, to allow cookies, or at least limit them. Theres a thing called 3rd party cookies, basically meaning not only the sites you visit setting cookies, but all their friends as well. I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would leave 3rd party cookies wide open if they know about them, i dont believe its needed for anything functional.

Cookies are tracking files, you collect them virtually everyplace you go on the internet, its difficult to function online without at least some cookies allowed. They serve a variety of purposes. One functional purpose, when on a site, this one for example, they remember where youve been, dont sign you out when you change pages, keep you signed in the next time you show up if you leave them open and dont sign out manually, that sort of thing.

In some places with intrusive data collecting and aggressive advertising with that data (what most "data" is used for) like facebook, I dump all previous cookies and history before going on their site, then dump it all again after leaving their site. Definitely always clear it all every time i turn the computer off or leave it for a short while.

Talking to a computer repair person, he said most people rarely clear cookies, and theyve found thousands upon thousands of them clogging up some computers.

Cookies send back info to their origin on where youve been online. Its a simple fact of life to function in most online activities, especially places like forums, but we can limit somewhat how much we give up to them. Otherwise, anyplace one has EVER gone online, that site set cookies, as well as all their friends (unless you restrict 3rd party cookies), and they know every single place youve EVER been online, unless you cleared all that. You can set your settings to clear that stuff on a schedule or every time you close a browser, but i dont think many people do that. It really makes me wonder if people truly understand all this when theyve asked for their forum account to be deleted and they want their "data" removed, seemingly thinking their posts are "data".

The "data" most places seek are what youve done online (what your interests are) and how to market advertising that you may be interested in. Its not really quite as dark as some make it out to be, its more annoying than anything to me. Personal info like your email and actual name are other data points, but those arent that hard to find in various forms depending on other things you do online, and I dont think are given up by most forums. I dont think forum profile info for the most part hardly constitute a huge security issue. Im also shocked to think people would give their entire real name and actual birthdate info on a profile, or any other actual sensitive or potentially useful info that could be problematic.

Bottom line, if you use a cell phone and use the internet, your dreams of privacy are probably mostly illusion. If you want to participate in this grand information and social superhighway, theres traffic cams all over, just like in real life on real roads. Yes, you can limit it in some ways, but I think youd have to be at a very high level of paranoia and technical ability to effectively stay "off the radar". Most of our radar signature is oriented to advertisers wanting to put something in front of you that they think youll buy. Like if they could put electronic billboards along the roads about things youd be interested in. Dont be surprised of someone figures out how to do that.
Thank you for the info on where to find cookies. Now I know why I've not found them before.

Please make my cookies oatmeal raisin today, or peanut butter or chocolate chip or ginger snaps. Most any flavor will do, even mince meat or vanilla wafers. 🤣

Hooray for cookies. Don’t forget snickerdoodles.

we had a little tea party, this afternoon at three
three guest were all, just I myself and me
I ate all the cupcakes, myself drank all the tea.
tws also I who ate the pie, and pass the cake to me.

I just got back from The grocery store with a beautiful sweet potato pie.. I think that and a cup of coffee is going to be breakfast. I mean a piece of that pie not the whole thing.

” food food glorious food“ (one of my favorite songs)

anyone who reads these words, and compares the picture of the fat.man from last week Will be banned from future posting

It will soon be pumpkin pie season!
Fortunately Walmart sells the little mini pies in single servings which keeps me from over indulging. I like sweets way too much and have terrible self control for such things so I have to stick to snap pack sizes as an occasional treat.

I will not be tempted by treats in the stores this week because I will not be wandering around the aisles inside any stores. I have about another week of isolation to do while recovering from Covid. I can go inside if I mask up and use a lot of hand sanitizer but I do not want to cause any potential harm to others. So my grocery buying will be done online with a drive up pickup to minimize contact. I am not in true need of much in the way of groceries right now other than getting low on paper towels.

My campsite companions would go shopping for me and they have offered to do so but I do not need to burden them with chores I can do for myself. I am fine for driving into town to pickup orders. My energy is starting to recover and my symptoms are all gone now. I am up doing housework but it will take several more hours to get it done and that is not going to happen without rest breaks.

Going to be this warmer afternoon in the mid 80s so I will soon go find a place in the shade in the forest for my zero gravity chair. We had a bit of a cool spell with highs in the low 70s with some rain this last week.

Saw a walking stick bug yesterday, he climbed up on my friends screen room and got one of his legs stuck into the screening. I plucked him off gently and set him on the trunk of a Ponderosa pine tree.

Last edited:
Maki2. I am Happy you’re getting better. Not that I over eat or anything, but did you know that the walking stick is delicious when it’s sautéed in butter?🥸🥸🥸

God bless the nomad’s, each and everyone. Even those stuck on the fourth floor of an apartment building in town. (Or should I say especially those)

If I could not travel anymore I think would be relatively happy with an apartment 4 stories up if it had a decent sized elevator and the neighborhood was a safe place to be. Especially if I had an all terrain tires electric mobility scooter to get out and about on. It would make me feel trapped without one of those if I had to sell my car and just rely on handicapped van services and a standard wheelchair. Hopefully you can sell your van for enough to purchase one of those.

Saw a walking stick bug yesterday, he climbed up on my friends screen room and got one of his legs stuck into the screening. I plucked him off gently and set him on the trunk of a Ponderosa pine tree.
I love funky wonderful bugs like that. I purchased a couple of praying mantis egg pods a few years ago for the kids and for my garden as pest control. I got about 30 +/- babies out of each pod and they are so much fun to watch grow up. I had a food inspector show up the day one of them hatched out and she Was very surprised that they stayed in their jar and on the table for lunch time conversation. Then she asked to see in the kitchen, and I had to cringe as I had a dozen chicken eggs and they too were just starting to hatch out. So, Bugs on the table and chickens in the kitchen. She saw that they were all contained and heard the kids tell her not to touch unless she washed her hands and she said, "I won't say a thing if you don't".
Anyway I love those fun bugs. This year I am know by kids as the snail lover.... And I am known to have 1-2-3 riding around on my sleeve just for fun.

This guys been hanging around a while. Thinks he’s part of the family it seems (I’m at my daughters).
Glad your doing well nature lover… very much enjoy your posts. And hearing your getting cared for.

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpeg
    IMG_1461.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0