Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This guys been hanging around a while. Thinks he’s part of the family it seems (I’m at my daughters).
Glad your doing well nature lover… very much enjoy your posts. And hearing your getting cared for.
Several years in a row a couple of praying mantises came into my house for a week or two. Bugs were bad that year so I figured they were finding plenty of food when flying insects came in at night. I enjoyed them. This year only one came in for only a night. I was outside near a honeysuckle vine one summer day and a humming bird started screaming while hoovering in the same spot. I ventured close to see what it was upset about. A praying mantis was in the honey suckle about 18 inches from the screaming hummer.

Hum I wonder what they were screaming about... I know Hummers eat fruit flies and other tiny bugs, but I did not think they would go for a big praying mantis.... and what did that big ol' bug think about the bird ..... I hope next year things will settle down and I will get me more good bugs for my garden. I like the pets that take care of themselves.

Hum I wonder what they were screaming about... I know Hummers eat fruit flies and other tiny bugs, but I did not think they would go for a big praying mantis.... and what did that big ol' bug think about the bird ..... I hope next year things will settle down and I will get me more good bugs for my garden. I like the pets that take care of themselves.
I have heard that praying mantis eat hummingbirds. Don't know if that is true or not. If it is true then we know why the hummer was screaming.

It’s been a while since I posted here. That’s because there’s really nothing happening in my life. The platelets have stabilized and a good number with the medication. I’m learning to be content in this apartment and not Being able to go anywhere. I sold the van. and I’m in the process of taking pictures of and listing the camping equipment online.

Hi speed, Wi-Fi is hooked up and I hope to set up my new computer asap. I had to sort of Finagle money to get the computer but it’s here.

i’m glad I got friends like you folks. I’ve always like nomad‘s better than ”normal “ people. You can be a nomad in your heart and mine even if you’re not on the road, but it takes practice.

God bless the nomad’s and the wannabes.

Man, you’ll always be a nomad in my book… glad your somewhat stabilized…
Sounds like your doing what you need to to shift gears to your situation. Making the best of it is a noble thing. Thanks for checking in and keep us in the loop.

Naturelover.,,You are an armchair nomad traveler now! It is still a great way to explore and see things and learn about new places and wildlife. But of course not the same as a hop in a van road trip adventure.

New computer was a good investment. That will help a lot with photo editing.

My laptop is at the laptop hospital this week. Turns out it needs a new hard drive. It is getting an SSD drive this time which is a lot better choice for a nomad as it has no moving parts to get damaged by rough roads. That is apparently why the older type of hard drive in it got so damaged.

Naturelover: Just because a person lives in a fixed dwelling it does not make them “normal”. The world is full of some very eccentric senior characters who live in assisted living circumstances. In that aspect you are actually very much a “normal” person even if you do not recognize yourself as one. You have not changed who you are, you have just changed the type of place you are living in.

Your physical abilities have changed, your personality has not changed. I myself cannot do all the things I could do when I was younger. I fully know the time will come when I cannot be self sufficient enough to travel in my tiny trailer. That in itself is a perfectly normal progression. Like it or not I will need adapt to the that change. But I have already adapted to many changes in my 70+ years. The worst was living in basement apartments. The best of thecsticks and bricks were the places where I could see a view outside that stretch for many miles. That view outside is why I treasure nomadic living. It is not nearly as much about where I go as having a long distance view. The last four houses I owned all had long distance views out of them. There is a real sense of freedom in having a bird eye view of the world. Maybe that is why I enjoyed flying in a small plane so much. Or why you enjoy birds do much.

Last edited:
SSD's are also faster to boot with no mechanical parts, and much cheaper now.

I did some research and I found a very important part of the scriptures that has been overlooked. The beatitudes, of course, are some of the most beautiful famous words of Christ. But for some reason this was left out.

“Blessed are the nomads and the eccentrics For they will experience freedom and find peace of mind.” 🚎🚐🚌

I did some research and I found a very important part of the scriptures that has been overlooked. The beatitudes, of course, are some of the most beautiful famous words of Christ. But for some reason this was left out.

“Blessed are the nomads and the eccentrics For they will experience freedom and find peace of mind.” 🚎🚐🚌
Maybe we need to search the beatitudes to see if one Jesus used applies.

SSD's are also faster to boot with no mechanical parts, and much cheaper now.
They were around when I bought that laptop but not commonly included. But it did come with an Intel i7 processor so is well worth putting a new hard drive into it and having the old files and software programs cloned onto the new drive. Cost a bit extra to have that cloning service but well worth the convenience instead of being frustrated with trying to download new copies of the OS and other programs over wifi at a library or even over my friends starlink service. There is not a reliable cellular service signal at this campsite. I could not camp here if I was not using my friends Starlink connection.

There’s been no activity On this thread for 10 days. So I thought I’d chime in and see if we can get some conversation going.

i’m slowing down on watching Bob’s videos. I’ve seen everyone for many years, but it’s discouraging to see them and not be able to put some of those new ideas into practice. I’m sitting here in my lazy boy and it doesn’t have wheels. But my mind does! I still peek in occasionally And while I don’t always stay to watch all the longer videos like I used to, I’ve always love seeing Bob “ in his shorts.”🤔🤫

And I am writing this while I’m sitting here “in my shorts”. (Use your imagination folks)

God bless the nomads, even those who sit around in their shorts.

Enjoy the simple comforts! I’m looking forward to a little recliner time! Lol!!!

There’s been no activity On this thread for 10 days. So I thought I’d chime in and see if we can get some conversation going.

i’m slowing down on watching Bob’s videos. I’ve seen everyone for many years, but it’s discouraging to see them and not be able to put some of those new ideas into practice. I’m sitting here in my lazy boy and it doesn’t have wheels. But my mind does! I still peek in occasionally And while I don’t always stay to watch all the longer videos like I used to, I’ve always love seeing Bob “ in his shorts.”🤔🤫

And I am writing this while I’m sitting here “in my shorts”. (Use your imagination folks)

God bless the nomads, even those who sit around in their shorts.
Now I know why your postings are not “briefs”

Welcome to the broken record…broken record..broken record…broken record.(Some of you younger ones who have never seen a record player won’t get that) so here’s a repeat of my complaint.

I’m in the apartment trying to learn to like it because I have to do it. But frankly I’m hating it. I haven’t been birdwatching since December. I missed all the butterflies this year. I saw a few cabbage butterflies but that’s it. understand that that is totally opposite of my life. I’ve spent the last 50 years out and about in nature.

Now I’m done complaining

. I’m trying to raise enough money to get an electric scooter. A lot of handicap people use them but this one is heavy duty, higher ground clearance springs on all four corners and 13 inch tires. It has a range of 29 miles per charge. (Will probably be a little less carrying my weight) The point is, it’s made for outside, not inside. there is a 20 acre park near enough to get there on a scooter but not the wheelchair. Got my fingers crossed. Actually, I’m praying rather than crossing my fingers. It works better.

Depression is the enemy. My van leaves tomorrow at 5 o’clock. Never to be seen by my eyes again. It’s hard to face. Even harder the guy just asked me if he can pay part of it next month. I know that is usually not a good idea, but I have known him for at least 20 years. And I feel obligated to let him do that, because so many people have been good to me over the years when I had my hat in my hand.

if I had enough money, I’d keep the van and be buried in it.

God bless all the nomads and prepare them for the different life that’s ahead.