Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi friends, I know it’s been a long time but I don’t have Internet at my new home yet. I was using somebody else’s phone to tether for a bit but now he doesn’t have any gigabytes left so I’m at the doctors office where I can use the net on their system

so I’ve been living two weeks in the old shoe factory. It was a shoe factory until 30 years ago. It satbempty for a long time now it’s a senior citizens apartment building and I have the penthouse forth floor number 405. The bathroom I have is 2 1/2 times the size of the van I was living in. Ha ha I got a living room, two bedrooms kitchen with dining room and new stove, refrigerator and dishwasher. There’s laundry facilities just around the corner from my room and the price is cheap for the laundry that is

Price for the apartment is not what I call cheap. But they say it’s at 50% the right to most people have to pay for such an apartment. I believe that but I’m used to living frugally in a camper. It hurt me when I had to get rid of all my junk years ago but I got so used to living as a minimalist that I’m now I’m getting things back again. Friends are bringing me furniture and dishes and pots and pans new linens and everything needed to live. in a luxury apartment. But I want to be in a little cabin or camper in the woods. I don’t wanna complain for most people. This would be a wonderful place. for me. It’ll be a safe place. I don’t wanna seem on grateful but I’m not that happy yet. Very limited lawn and trees around a noisy street in front and a railroad track behind. I guess I won’t go to sleep here with the owls hooting and wake up with a whippoorwill No more swimming in the Gulf of Mexico with amenities. I am really trying to be thankful that I have a place but I’m really missing the simple life and wildlife in fresh air and……

I should be getting Wi-Fi by the end of the month and you’ll be playing with my many posts because I won’t have anything else to do

God bless the nomads, and I wanna bes like me.

I guess I won’t go to sleep here with the owls hooting and wake up with a whippoorwill No more swimming in the Gulf of Mexico with amenities. I am really trying to be thankful that I have a place but I’m really missing the simple life and wildlife in fresh air and……
Oh man, that must be tough. But as you say, a decent roof over your head is nothing to sneeze at either. How are you feeling otherwise?

Jacqueg - for the first time in a while, I have the symptoms of The Itp , i’m bruising without knowing how any little cut or bump bleeds very bad I’ve got sores in my mouth Nose, bleeds, and blood coming up my throat. I’ve been on the medicine since May and it has been taken care of everything and thought I was in total remission. I haven’t changed anything.

but I’m back at the hospitals outpatient facility now waiting for the blood test to come back. (platelet count) I also packed my clothes knowing that I’d probably end up back in the hospital again. I’m waiting now to see if that’s where I end up.

I’m Feeling worn out and a little discouraged. But I know if all your friends out there send me $1000 each. I’ll be feeling better soon.💲💲💲😃🥸😃

Jacqueg - for the first time in a while, I have the symptoms of The Itp , i’m bruising without knowing how any little cut or bump bleeds very bad I’ve got sores in my mouth Nose, bleeds, and blood coming up my throat. I’ve been on the medicine since May and it has been taken care of everything and thought I was in total remission. I haven’t changed anything.

but I’m back at the hospitals outpatient facility now waiting for the blood test to come back. (platelet count) I also packed my clothes knowing that I’d probably end up back in the hospital again. I’m waiting now to see if that’s where I end up.

I’m Feeling worn out and a little discouraged. But I know if all your friends out there send me $1000 each. I’ll be feeling better soon.💲💲💲😃🥸😃
Oh the old two steps forward, one step back routine...

Sending you a virtual $1000!

I can’t spare any money but I might be able to send you an ant farm. I had to run them out of my trailer but I am sure I can round up more of them.

Not so wild life encounter at 11:00 pm tonight. My trailer kept getting a jolt with what felt like the ground moving. Then a bit of a bellow sounded like a dragon roaring in a movie. But it was just the local free range grazing herd who woke up and decided as a group that they needed to have a late night snack right next to my trailer. This area that is a large enough open space in the forest to host this group of 6 nomadic rigs has plenty of grass growing on it. So we have a lot of cows around. They are pretty tame and not afraid of humans except for the young calves who shy away.

Maki2. Sounds like fun but watch where you step this morning.

I’m still in the hospital. It’s funny, that apartment I’ve rented it’s been sitting empty while I enjoy the luxury facilities of Lancaster General Hospital, and all these nurses. and other workers take care of me. I am very spoiled. They watch over me like a hawk. I’m not allowed to get out of bed on my own because of the bleeding problem (if I fall). I had a splenectomy scheduled for Tuesday but I’m putting that off because of a suggestion from the oncologist about another medicine to try first. Platelet count is down to eight or nine, it should be 300.

I had a great birthday in bed. Nurses and doctors bringing me sweets because with doctors permission, I took a moratorium from diabetes for one day. I had so many cupcakes, candy, etc. I had to give most of it away. My sugars scores have been up and down erratic but they blame that on the steroids. I’m not sure that I mentioned it here but it’s a shame I’m on steroids because I’ve been disqualified for the Olympic pole vaul. I was going to be a champion. Now visualize this folks —- a 290 pound pole vaulter. To make the picture even funnier imagine a speedo. Now I’ve made it so you can’t even close your eyes.

God bless the nomads, even the “retired ones“

Maki2. Sounds like fun but watch where you step this morning.

I’m still in the hospital. It’s funny, that apartment I’ve rented it’s been sitting empty while I enjoy the luxury facilities of Lancaster General Hospital, and all these nurses. and other workers take care of me. I am very spoiled. They watch over me like a hawk. I’m not allowed to get out of bed on my own because of the bleeding problem (if I fall). I had a splenectomy scheduled for Tuesday but I’m putting that off because of a suggestion from the oncologist about another medicine to try first. Platelet count is down to eight or nine, it should be 300.

I had a great birthday in bed. Nurses and doctors bringing me sweets because with doctors permission, I took a moratorium from diabetes for one day. I had so many cupcakes, candy, etc. I had to give most of it away. My sugars scores have been up and down erratic but they blame that on the steroids. I’m not sure that I mentioned it here but it’s a shame I’m on steroids because I’ve been disqualified for the Olympic pole vaul. I was going to be a champion. Now visualize this folks —- a 290 pound pole vaulter. To make the picture even funnier imagine a speedo. Now I’ve made it so you can’t even close your eyes.

🙈 Prayers you can return to your vacant apartment soon… your a nomad in the shop for now. But your fans here all wish you the best… glad your getting the care you need.

OK I am eating my breakfast reading this!!! Note self DON'T do that.
We have had our own share with great nurses this last 2 months. Hubby went to ER and was in hospital for his 70th and we had Chemo on our 48th anniversary and both times nurses came in and sang to him..... Most those nurses are really great people

Naturelover it is good to hear from you.
You are certainly having a rough year. I hope the treatments get you back home to your birds eye view nest very soon.

I once spent Christmas-day in the hospital. That was back in the early 80s era when hospital food was truly horrible. I had already been there for nearly a week. My only visitor that day was a coworker at Boeing who was Jewish. He asked if there was anything he could get me. I told him I would really like something edible to eat. He went out and found a nearby Deny’s and brought me a chicken dinner! In a way it was the best Christmas dinner ever. It certainly tasted fantastic after all that horrible hospital food.

Of course now I have made myself hungry. But I won’t be going into town for a lovely chicken dinner. However it is a cold and rainy evening so I will make something hot to eat to fight off the chill. It is not really cold but 60 degrees on a damp day feels rather chilly to me.

Courtesy of a fellow camper’s Starlink service tonight it is dinner and a movie night. I am streaming the WWII movie “Monuments Men”. I have seen it before but it has been a lot of years.

Still in the hospital. But the good news is my platelets are up to 20. 20 is not high but two days of increase is good. Two more days of increase and I’ll be out of here at least temporarily. I’ll have to have a home nursing come in to draw my blood multiple times a week to keep track of platelet count.

The good news for me is that if I can arrange transportation, I will get up to the mountains of Perry County to our family cabin for our annual reunion. This will be the 99th annual reunion. I have a cousin who’s been there for everyone of them. And he’s in better health than I am.

I guess I’m selling the van and all the camping equipment comes with it. It is not fancy I spent money on keeping it mechanically fit for driving not pretty. But it comes with 350 W of solar, refrigerator, house, batteries, and a whole whole lot more. If anyone here is interested and nearby, I can make you a good deal. And if anyone here knows any leads on the best place to sell it, let me know. I assume that this forms. trading post will be the beginning. If I get enough money, I can buy an old cheap beat up car that I can get in and out of and still drive during the day. It’ll have to be big enough to carry my wheelchair in the trunk but it’s a dream, not a plan.

God bless the nomads they sure as heck need it.

Still in the hospital. But the good news is my platelets are up to 20. 20 is not high but two days of increase is good. Two more days of increase and I’ll be out of here at least temporarily. I’ll have to have a home nursing come in to draw my blood multiple times a week to keep track of platelet count.

The good news for me is that if I can arrange transportation, I will get up to the mountains of Perry County to our family cabin for our annual reunion. This will be the 99th annual reunion. I have a cousin who’s been there for everyone of them. And he’s in better health than I am.

I guess I’m selling the van and all the camping equipment comes with it. It is not fancy I spent money on keeping it mechanically fit for driving not pretty. But it comes with 350 W of solar, refrigerator, house, batteries, and a whole whole lot more. If anyone here is interested and nearby, I can make you a good deal. And if anyone here knows any leads on the best place to sell it, let me know. I assume that this forms. trading post will be the beginning. If I get enough money, I can buy an old cheap beat up car that I can get in and out of and still drive during the day. It’ll have to be big enough to carry my wheelchair in the trunk but it’s a dream, not a plan.

I am so glad you are getting good/better blood count numbers. hang in there sir. I hope you get to your family cabin and see all your family.....

wishing you the very best,prayers to anyone needing them. throat surgery #4 day before yesterday,yep successful , another cancer surgery 22 August. 80 & still here prayers work-have for me.
take care all if you cant go on the road places (Dream it).keeps me alive.
keebler in richmond virginia area.

I have no idea if I’m posting this correctly, it’s my first time. I’m a newbie. Want a pen pal? You could teach me so much! I’m traveling in my Prius (3,500 miles so far) & I’d like to get a van. Traveling mainly in central/south of US. And am also a
“M. gardener”.

so happy for the improvement. thanks for letting us know.take care
keebler in Richmond,va area.

I thought of you this morning Naturelover. I am sitting at my table grumping about feeling stuck as hubby has been really sick this summer so we are stuck at home and NO traveling at all. I slurped my smoothy and looked out my window at the bird bath as maybe 10 or so birds fluttered in and out and around my window. Really hard to be grumpy watching that. I wonder if you would be allowed to hang a feeder and a bird bath outside your window. My folks are trying to figure out how to do that in their new apt. as dad really liked to watch the birds out of our window..... They ,the birds not my folks, put on a great show every time we filled the feeders and such. The feeders can attract some unsavory critters too so we have to also put out rat stuff and some apts. don't allow feeders for this reason but if you have moving as in a bit of a fountain or? water you will have birds. Might be worth asking, of course if you don't ask they can't say NO until they notice and if you keep it clean they may not notice.

Hi Nature Lover. I am so impressed that your family has had a family reunion for 99 years every year. That's amazing!! I hope you can be there.

Thanks friends, for the last messages. I do not have Wi-Fi in my apartment yet, but they tell me it’s to be set up this Monday. So I haven’t been able to read or post anything on here for several weeks???

i’m now using a friends phone To tether my iPad. it’s very slow. But I should not complain, because at least I can get on the net for a bit. Till his limit of space runs out. So maybe you won’t hear from me till next week.

I through out my television 50 years ago. And, of course, When I was on the road, I didn’t need anything like that and I don’t even have a radio anymore. So the Internet is the only way I get news and talk to friends like you. Without that it makes it even more hard to stay here.

I’m trying to be very thankful for the apartment. Most people would love it. But I sit here alone all day, most days. My friend James as a regular Visitor and helper though. Without him, I don’t know what I do.

Even before I traveled in the van, I was out, watching birds and nature, and taking photographs of all kinds. I keep going back to thinking that this year, I didn’t smell lilacs. I didn’t get out in the woods to find wildflowers. I have yet to see a butterfly, and I did not see the lightning bugs either. Well, there’s still a chance I have somebody take me out. The problem is none of my friends are in the nature of the way, they won’t sit for hours like I do. I’m trying to appreciate what I have, but it ain’t easy.

I did get up to the mountain cabin for my family reunion, which was great. 99 years and one member was there for almost every one. I thought he didn’t miss any. But he did tell us that in 1942 and 43 he was on a trip around Europe. Carrying a gun and looking for Adolf. That’s all he missed. I said now where are your priorities you should’ve been here. Well, he said he was with family because he was traveling with uncle Sam.

travel around- So nice to hear from you, I missed you. The family reunion was sort of bitter sweet. As a child I remember hundreds of relatives, all descendants of my great grandparents, Joseph and Annie Nelson. This time there were 29 and threeof them had canes and me in a wheelchair. I knew that Time marches on. I just didn’t know it marched over and on us. How’s it going with your living arrangements? I don’t remember how things were when I last read your posts. I think the last time I read you were in “limbo” still coming out of the fire. I hope you rise like a Phoenix.

God bless, The Nomads, most of you are in vans are campers. But I am in nomad in a wheelchair.

Last edited:
Here’s a picture of the reunion. The 100 year old is gray haired man in front row. Still Mentally sharp and not too bad physically. Better than I am in both counts. her who that fat man is with a camera in a wheelchair. I’ll let you guess.

Latest posts