Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Self employment taxes in case you are not aware means I am still paying iinto the
Social Security and Medicare system while at the same time I am receiving those benefits.
I am still paying in too but not 'self' employed anymore. I'm letting someone else do the paperwork for now. I'm part time sub-teaching which means if I don't want to work I don't answer the phone and if I don't want to do something in the classroom It is above my pay rate. Pay sucks, but that's ok for now. Mostly I like the work.
When I was self-employed I was told more times than I care to think that I was at least not havening to pay taxes and stuff. It seemed to surprise everyone that I was still paying them.
I pushed myself harder than when I was employed too. Told everyone the work was good and I was good at it, but my boss was a real pushy B$#@!

Keep hanging in there nature lover... you’ve really been through the mill. Good to hear you’re getting the care you need. We’ll keep prodding Maki2 along. She’s supporting a lot of us. Haha!
Today I was just prodding my old laptop to come back to life long enough so I could grab an image of a software license off of it. So I can get that license transferred to my newer laptop that is not nearly as power hungry and is in much better physical condition too.

I try to let machines do the hardest part of the work for me 🙃

all yesterday in ER,,actually drove to Hospital.had a bad / dream "Nightmare" hurt bad, concrete floor Sticks/bricks place, head-knee- hit roll around chair. leg punchered back, cracked rib. im back there. do nothing 2 weeks. meds and take care of my self. ill survive, hope everyone else ok too.
keebler in richmond,va.

all yesterday in ER,,actually drove to Hospital.had a bad / dream "Nightmare" hurt bad, concrete floor Sticks/bricks place, head-knee- hit roll around chair. leg punchered back, cracked rib. im back there. do nothing 2 weeks. meds and take care of my self. ill survive, hope everyone else ok too.
keebler in richmond,va.
Take care Keebler... you might not be to far from Nature Lover... I hurt just reading your post!! Take your time and rest up and heal. That’s what they tell me to do. I can’t sit still long enough to know if it works...

Take care Keebler... you might not be to far from Nature Lover... I hurt just reading your post!! Take your time and rest up and heal. That’s what they tell me to do. I can’t sit still long enough to know if it works...
thanks im also doing breathing tests / portable teleflex kit. to strenghten lung /prevent"Phemonia" (sp). im pretty tough to be 80. nightmares have caused a lot pain.but still alive. thanks again.keeb

I just have to be very careful to stay hydrated! First sign of it is I get that lightheaded dizzy feeling with a blood pressure drop when I stand up. That could certainly cause me to fall or stumbled but so far that has not happened as I know enough to stand still and reach for a support or sit back down. It is not age related other than forgetting to drink more fluids 🥵

Just woke up to my trailer being thumped on right by my bed! I opened the blind and it was a group of seven horses. Two of them were young colts plus one yearling. This is open grazing Land in the National Forest and there is riding stable at the start of this forest service road.

The horses moved along pretty quickly, not so much grazing as out for a morning walk and must have been curios when they came across my trailer so stopped to check it out very closely.

It is going to be a bright sunny day, 79 degrees for a high. But a very windy one with afternoon gust of 49mph predicted at my campsite! I do have some wind break advantage form trees around. It is not a dense forest with super tall trees but they definitely do help reduce the wind speed. Fortunately I am parked just about right with the narrow side to the wind and not up on a hilltop. The winds will subside to 30mph after sunset.
IMG_0993.jpeg

Ohhhh lucky you. I would love to wake up to that! I remember as a kid we went to Arizona every year for waaayyy to many years and I still love the idea of those wild burros and horses we would see from the car sometimes.... I loved hearing them bray

Hello friends, something happened and I haven’t been getting notices of your postings so I haven’t seen them lately. I thought this thread was in active for the last two weeks. I was wrong.

Saturday I moved into this new apartment in Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. It’s an old shoe factory turned into 36 apartments and I am in the penthouse. Fourth floor number 405. It is a handicapped accessible apartment and the bathroom. Here is bigger than the van I was living in. Of course in addition to that I have a kitchen with a big dining area and living room and two bedrooms. I don’t know how to act with all the space. Friends are bringing stuff for me to live here like furniture and kitchen stuff. I really don’t like being in the position of accumulating again I was enjoying being a minimalist.

i’m trying to be grateful for this Nice place I have, but the reality is, I’d rather be outside or even in a cabin in the woods. We don’t always get what we want but I’m thankful we don’t always get what we deserve.

Healthwise I am “better“ that I was before but sometimes in a wheelchair that they gave me. That’s for going longer distances. Around the apartment I am walking with a walker. All the medical problems I’ve had over the years I’ve been exacerbated by the fact that I I am extremely overweight. I have been all of my life maybe not extremely but overweight all of my life. I think I’ve got a great diet plan going on because renting this place cost most my income and I have $300 a month left. Still paying insurance on the van but we’ll have to get rid of that to save that money.

When I look out the windows, I do see trees. That’s one of the advantages living on the top of the building. I can see out pretty far and not see all the businesses and traffic down lower. I did not get to smell lilacs or go to my favorite wild fireplaces this spring. That is depressing. But I’m alive. I have a roof over my head and “fancier “living arrangements than I’ve ever had before. this is a secure building, where visitors have to ring my bell at the door, and then I see them on a video screen and can let them in or just talk to them. Far different from leaving my van doors open to sleep at night in the woods or by the pond.

I have not taken a picture since August 3 last year. (Except for a few with my iPad). Life has changed and is changing for me. I’m trying hard to look on the positive side I plan to spend my time by going through my old pictures from over 25 years (I have tens of thousands) and I’d like to do a little more writing. I have published four books and giving away more of them than I’ve sold. I’m hoping to get a small desktop computer with a large screen to do my photo editing. I can do more with that than I can with my iPad, of course.

Just letting you know what’s going on not trying to complain. I’m always being treated better than I deserve. But I do miss the mountains, the Gulf of Mexico, The ocean, and the road with the freedom it offers. See nature and meeting people has been a joy. You guys make sure to enjoy every moment and treasure it, because you never know when in will stop.

my van is for sale. Exterior looks like a piece of garbage but I’ve kept up the mechanical part and it runs great. It’s an old 1998 High top Dodge ram. With house, batteries, portable solar panels 12 V compressor fridge and other things build in. It’s not worth much but I hate to junk it if some other nomad minded person is looking for a cheap rig. A rig like that will need some tender, loving care, but it’s very livable And drivable.

so keep in touch everybody and for those of you that are suffering from falls, etc. you do have my sympathy I know what it is Like.

sorry, I didn’t mean to write a book.

God bless the nomads and those of us who want to be nomads. I sure know He has blessed me.

Last edited:
Hey Keebler, sorry to hear about your problems, but I hope you’re able to get back to baking those cookies soon.

Jacquard. Thanks for the lead on that book. I found a website on YouTube, where a guy read several chapters and enjoyed muchly so I ordered the book and I have it now good reading.

Naturelover I am glad you found a place to live in that is safer for your physical health even if it does not match up to your dream of “living your best life”.

Get those photos edited! There are places online where you can sell copies of them and earn a bit of extra income. See if there is an art gallery in town who would work with you on reproduction and framing/mounting cost for an exhibition of your photography. With your health stabilized you will have more physical energy to focus on such things.

Glad you are someplace safe and hope you can find a small bit of nature to enjoy. Maybe a big lence and a good chair in front of that tree. I look forward to seeing some of those photos you have to work on. And while it would be great to be out there moving around to everything. I hope you can take the time to sit back and enjoy the photos and memories that so many of us enjoy.

so happy to hear you are in a nicer place. Im doing better too, start Physical Therapy next week.i really hurt but the DR thinks it will prevent Stiffness, from NOT mowing & exercise. oh well. @ 80 years old lack of movement & exercise is BAD for us. have a great Day I do care.
my old 1996 Chevy High Top has a dead battery ill put it on charge later /overnight/ to hot out right now.
keebler. in richmond,va area.

If need be I can wake our friend up with an email as I have his email address. His forum settings somehow got messed up so he is no longer getting notifications when some one post in this thread.