Lost in Space: Need a Year Plan Help...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vantastic

Reaction score
Ever try to please others only to realize you get the shaft in the end?
Part of life's learning curve?  Leave a job to care for a parent then
family member takes over and your out of house wondering what
happened?  
* Friendships are tested and more disappointment.
* Church message is: Come to us when your life is in order...we're
praying for you!

Living in motel throwing savings out the door knowing nine months
ago all that money would have bought me a sweet RV!  Waiting
for family relationships to heal and you are exactly where you were nine months
ago--but nothing is static, so worse off?

I feel I have NO foundation under me!  Looking to rent a mobile home or cabin
means being someplace but that place means nothing to me.  Waiting for
a parent to die to move forward because you can't let go...life is a mess!

Judgments aside...I need a plan for a year, something to grab hold of here
in So Cal, 60 miles north of LA.  I have a car and savings and cannot throw
money down the drain in a motel anymore hoping family will come around...
time is money for me and they don't get that and offer no help...and time
to move on.  I will deal with guilt later or shame or whatever emotions come.

I know someone here can relate to some of this...or you know someone.

Class A or Class C?  Van?  Sell car?  Where to go?  BLM land?  Buy some type
of yearly pass and bounce?  What?  

Hard to believe as a former school teacher my life has unraveled like this...
I used to influence young minds, now I need to get my mind right.
Family can be the greatest blessing or curse...but I guess it never really was
much of a blessing (I knew that, but wanted to hope)...now hope bites.

Rather than hide and run from reality, I am laying it out there...in a desperate
situation and need to grab hold of a plan to take action!

Open to all, will eat the melon and spit out the seeds, mainly motivation and
virtual community for now.

Peace...

if I were in the boat of no car, very little money, and nowhere to stay I would get a walmart bike, with a bike trailer, and a 50cc motor on it honestly. We're talking couple hundred bucks, 100+ mpg, and plenty of space for camping gear. Maybe even a small solar panel and battery setup on the trailer. Compared to thru hiking that is the lap of luxury.

Thanks...I have a car and am wasting money in a motel, but can drop $10k on something. I have done a lot of work on how to develop a solar system and go as off-grid as possible, it is a matter of what to buy and then, where to go. I mentioned a BLM route and have tracked living in RV folks that have mapped these routes out. Also, wondering about the yearly plans like 1000 Trails where you can stay 3 weeks, need to move for a week and can come back kinda thing. It is more a thing of doing it which means cutting the normal route of settling. Obviously, I am having great difficulty settling for good reason.

My take:

Set a budget for your van that leaves the same amount (min $3K) in an "untouchable" account dedicated to repairs, maintenance and/or future replacement vehicle. Not tp be used for 'optional improvements', buildout 'needs', only safety and transportation essentials like tires, brakes, oil changes, new transmission etc.

Also, for every mile you plan to travel, put $1 into that lockbox account *before* you start the trip.

If you want to drive someplace 500 miles away, but are short of cash at the moment, you can't afford the trip, stay put and earn or wait, skimp in the food budget a month or two, until you have and can afford to put that $500 in the account.

You also deposit $1 per mile for daily driver, running errands usage, at least weekly. If that ever feels uncomfortable, that's a sign to find ways to reduce non-essential driving, make the van last longer, go shopping less frequently, sleep closer to work, whatever.

If you bought smart and are lucky, that account grows and grows over the years, so when a major breakdown comes, you can easily cover it, or maybe decide you're better off starting over with a different vehicle.

Eventually you get to the point where you can afford to trade up anytime you like, but you keep your eye on "low lifetime cost per mile and per year", since that's the key to success in a sustainable mobile lifestyle.

As opposed to status and eye candy, how most people choose their vehicles.

First take a deep, calming breath!  Now get out a pad of paper and start planning.  If I were you I would watch and read a lot of blogs and you tube videos about van/car/living.  You might be surprised how some people are living out of their cars.  You need to do something to get out of wasting money on a hotel room.  Maybe you can find a low cost van instead and use that, you don't need a lot to get started--just do a lot of research.
As far as families just accept what is.     Forget what is happening with your family, it isn't going to suddenly improve.  Just focus on yourself and what you need to do to have a better life.

Not sure I'm seeing the issue...you got a car, got plenty of money to get a used popup and go ride around for a year or two.

I agree on the pop up ^^^ or a low-cost reliable minivan. Focus on yourself. Toyota Sienna can be had for $2000-$5,000.

Suggest starting small and simple. If your car is big enough to sleep in, then spend a few days "camping" at a KOA or other RV park that allows tent camping. Prior to getting our van, I did many road trips this way. Hopefully, the Campground prices are cheaper than the motels you are staying in. Once you get out of CA, the prices will be much cheaper!

Then you can build momentum. if your car is too small, trade it in for a Minivan or SUV. If that doesn't appeal, then you can start van shopping!

The key is to make small steps to move yourself out of inertia.

plus you can probably gig as a sub pretty easy

Without an income, be frugal. Although Thousand Trails may be in your future, spend wisely at this point. Your off grid living knowledge will be very useful. Use what you have to be comfortable. If you do have an income, get a van within budget (maybe a trailer too later on) and get a build going. Can always sell it later if you want to make a change. I'd like to say something helpful regarding the situation with your family, but my words may not be correct. I have been asked if I can feel anything, and also been described as cold. Clearly these are based on preconceived notions as to how one should be. These notions are certainly not helpful and can cause confrontation, especially in times of grief. These notions may be directly related to guilt. In the near future you may feel sorrow and you may feel guilt, and you may not. It really shouldn't be one way or another, and no one should say otherwise. And then walk away.

First don't waste your savings. Weather is still good enough you can get by in your car with what you have. You mention church, what about unemployment or social services as caring for or loosing a parent is a hardship? Maybe one of these can suggest a place to park or get a shower temporarily until you can take a breath and make a plan. Do you want to stay in the local area longer? Do you need to be employed full time or part time or at all? What is your skill set and how do you want to use it? Educators are used in National Parks as guides and many other places besides schools. Get your mind busy chasing your dreams so you don't spend all your time thinking about your family problems. Best wishes and get that pad and pen and write down your priorities, hit the library and research, make lists then plans. Get a free trial at a local gym or fitness place. Work out, shower and sit and think.

It certainly sound like you are in a painful place, that can and will sap your energy. Give yourself a break. I do detect some optimism. My rule of thumb I will never buy a vehicle I cannot comfortably lay down in usually a station wagon, granted wagons are out of favor these days but I have seen older Toyota wagons at a reasonable price easy curtains foam pad a good nights sleep makes all the difference as well as keeping a healthy diet. I wish you well. PS southern AZ will be weather friendly. Think snowbird.

I'd suggest a van build.  If you buy an older class-A or class-B you may be able to get it cheaper, but they can turn into a money pit.  Appliances generally need to be replaced after 10 years and the replacements can be hard to come by in an older rig.  If you start a DIY van build, then you have an advantage in that you can start out with the minimum comforts and gradually upgrade as you are able to save more money.

I'm new and not full-time yet, so my opinion may be worth less than nothing. But based on all I've seen on YT and researching blogs, i plan to start out in my car before I start spending any $ on new rig, etc. Of course my car does have 4x4 and good clearance. If i were concerned about having a year-round home base, i would head to Coyote Howls and pay their annual fee. Now is a good time to go because it won't be so hot. That will give you a good place to sit and think, and plan, without pressure for having to find another spot in 14 days. Plus it's a lot cheaper than RV/tent campgrounds, and if you decide to travel, it will be there for you to come back to. That should give you time to decide whether you really want, or need, to economize. It sounds like you're pretty well set and can spend or save however you want. The tough part for me has been how to divest myself of 40 years worth of "stuff"!

Families are often like yours. Mine has been much like what you describe. From what I'm seeing on cheapRVliving YT, and others, there is "family" on the road. I plan to go find it.

Good luck! Go Camping! I hope you love it. Don't miss Rubber Tramp Rendezvous in January, and the gathering at Ehrenberg before. That way you'll know whether you like "us" and/or living on the road. Happy Trails...

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

I recall one study that found happiness from helping others maxes at around two hours per week. You definitely need to find space for yourself and getting out is a great way to find it. Freecampsites.net is a great resource.