Inverter Shut off and Won't Turn Back On

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stardown2earth

Reaction score
I know I most like overloaded the inverter when I connected the second InstaPot while cooking. When I overload the inverted it starts to beep then turns off but once I'm back up to like 12 or 13 volts the inverted can switch back on but it hasn't. I've let the battery charge up as long as possible but it just won't turn back on. Is there something inside the inverter I can reset?

Inverter is the below (Purchased Nov 4, 2019):

GoWISE Power PS1004 3000W Continuous 6000W Surge Peak Power Pure Sine Wave Inverter Standard​

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0131PZ9J2/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
I have it connected to one solar panel:

SanTan Solar Panels
Model: SPR-E20-327
Model: SPR-X20-250-BLK-B-AC

and a Battle Born battery

Any help would be appreciated, after this I will reach out to the manufacturer but I wanted to see if anyone knew of a fix before having to deal with them.

Last edited:
The documentation suggests that either the battery is bad or the connection to the inverter is loose. Is there a fuse between the battery and the inverter? Are you able to get DC power?

You may blown a fuse
Thank you so much for your reply. I ran outside to the van to check just that. I included pictures below from the "fuse box" that I know of but nothing seemed blown. Maybe there is a different fuse box that runs the inverter that I don't know of. I don't know much about these systems unfortunately, I just had it installed. One fuse runs a cigarette type plug where I run a small fridge and the other fuse runs the MaxxAir fan. Both are still running since they are hooked up straight to the battery and the solar panel is still charging the battery. Its just the inverter that wont turn back on.

Thank again

Attachments

• 20220302_164202.jpg
    20220302_164202.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220302_164120.jpg
    20220302_164120.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220302_164115.jpg
    20220302_164115.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The documentation suggests that either the battery is bad or the connection to the inverter is loose. Is there a fuse between the battery and the inverter? Are you able to get DC power?
Thank you so much for your reply. I have included some pictures below of my system for reference. I will try and check the connection to the inverter next although I'm not 100% which one it is.

The system was working fine up until I plugged in the second Instapot which then caused it to beep and turn off and it hasn't come back on since then. I was using a power strip where I had both Instapots connected and the power strip was connected into the inverter, maybe the power strip had something to do with it? I also had a light plugged in to the USB port that wasn't on but it was plugged in.

I had been using the system for about two weeks and had also overwhelmed the system a couple of times earlier that week with a small heater I used for short periods of times. That caused it to beep and shut off like in the past but the inverted came back on every time after that (after the battery recharged)

"Is there a fuse between the battery and the inverter?" I believe so but not 100%

"Are you able to get DC power?" umm I know that I have a cigarette type plug where I run a small fridge and a MaxxAir fan that are still running since they are hooked up straight to the battery and the solar panel is still charging the battery.

Thank again for your comment.

Attachments

• 20220302_164333.jpg
    20220302_164333.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220302_164326.jpg
    20220302_164326.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220302_164321.jpg
    20220302_164321.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 26
The one in the middle is a fuse. It may be blown.

I keep extra fuses for things I have installed.

These are the cables that are connected to the inverter, I wiggled them and they dont seem loose to me. I'm a little afraid to touch them closer to the metal part since I do have the battery still on but I dont think they are loose.
20220302_172123.jpg

The fuse appears to have “blown” as in burnt apart. Most likely if that is the case you will not have 12 volts at the inverter as the blown fuse interrupted the circuit and the fuse needs to be replaced. There will be 12 volts on the fuse terminal that connects to the battery but no voltage on the terminal that connects to the inverter if it is blown and the fuse will need to be replaced with a new one. Just one more thing if you don’t have a huge battery bank running so much that your batteries drain so often to low levels will ruin most batteries or at least shorten their life. You might consider getting a generator for times you have high loads that occur when heating with electricity.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply. It does appear shattered from what I can tell. I'm just happy to hear that it may be a fuse and not the inverter. So relieved!

I searched on Amazon for a "200 amp" fuse and came up with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Inline-holde...d=1646269288&sprefix=200a+fuse,aps,156&sr=8-8

This seems to be similar to the one in my system. Can anyone confirm or link one that will work? Thank you all so much in advance. This forum is such a blessing.

Also I'm guessing a regular electrician can replace this correct? I don't think there are any solar power techs in my area that I could find on short notice.

These are the cables that are connected to the inverter, I wiggled them and they dont seem loose to me. I'm a little afraid to touch them closer to the metal part since I do have the battery still on but I dont think they are loose.
View attachment 30878
Looking at your connection, this is what is wrong:
Look how the cables cross each other at the inverter Terminals. The installer even used Electrical tape as cover and married tha cables( NO-NO)...Even if the gap between the two cables is 45mm they are too close specially that, when in use, those cables develope Temperature. Also if the Air humidity is high an electrical "Arc" could develope and could be the cause of the Blown FUSE.
1) Disconnect the Power source.(Battery)
2) release the Positive Cable Nut.(red cable)
3) Rotate/ slight the cable to SEPARATE both cables.
4) If the black tape is holding both cables together (Not good)
5) remove Tape and re tape cables individually.
6) after repositioning and separating the red Cable terminal, re tight it.
7)NOW the Black cable (ground source)
8) release the NUT, reposition the cable as to saparate it from the Red (Positive Cable).
9) re tighten the NUT.
10) BOTH CABLES TERMINALS should be "DIVORCED" FROM EACH OTHER.
** RECONNECT THE POWER SOURCE...(Battery)
(simple task)
Me..?? Military, mos 64c10, TRACKS & WHEELS TANK Full Technician.
HAPPY TRAILS....!!!

Thank you so much for your reply. It does appear shattered from what I can tell. I'm just happy to hear that it may be a fuse and not the inverter. So relieved!

I searched on Amazon for a "200 amp" fuse and came up with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Inline-holder-Gauge-including-wrench/dp/B07BKRHZ8Y/ref=sr_1_8?crid=11SZIO1557MUN&keywords=200a+fuse&qid=1646269288&sprefix=200a+fuse,aps,156&sr=8-8

This seems to be similar to the one in my system. Can anyone confirm or link one that will work? Thank you all so much in advance. This forum is such a blessing.

Also I'm guessing a regular electrician can replace this correct? I don't think there are any solar power techs in my area that I could find on short notice.
You can DO IT YOURSELF...it is a simple Task.
(If Live assistance is needed..?? RING THE BELL)
CHECK NAPA/HOME DEPOT FOR FUSE......

Yep, indeed that fuse looks very blown, and it would be the one to blow since it feed battery power to the inverter. It should have a flat, smooth, shiny metal strip showing through that fuse window. It being all jagged and tangled up like that means "blown".

I hope that's your only problem, but since you had so much running on your inverter at once, there is the possibility it overheated and shorted out inside, causing that fuse to blow. The picture of it looks like it can handle 3,000 watts steady and 6,000 watts for brief moments (like to start a motor) before it would overheat. But that's all depending on it's ability to cool itself. If the air pumping through it is too hot, how much wattage it can handle goes down because the parts inside can't cool themselves enough. Some devices short out from the heat and blow their fuse, but then work again when cool enough (the short goes away).

In any case, when you put in the new fuse, notice how it looks through that little window before you put it in. If the inverter still won't work, look at that fuse again, and if it's also gone all jagged and tangled, probably the inverter is staying shorted inside. I do hope for you, that's not the case.

Looking at your connection, this is what is wrong:
Look how the cables cross each other at the inverter Terminals. The installer even used Electrical tape as cover and married tha cables( NO-NO)...Even if the gap between the two cables is 45mm they are too close specially that, when in use, those cables develope Temperature. Also if the Air humidity is high an electrical "Arc" could develope and could be the cause of the Blown FUSE.
1) Disconnect the Power source.(Battery)
2) release the Positive Cable Nut.(red cable)
3) Rotate/ slight the cable to SEPARATE both cables.
4) If the black tape is holding both cables together (Not good)
5) remove Tape and re tape cables individually.
6) after repositioning and separating the red Cable terminal, re tight it.
7)NOW the Black cable (ground source)
8) release the NUT, reposition the cable as to saparate it from the Red (Positive Cable).
9) re tighten the NUT.
10) BOTH CABLES TERMINALS should be "DIVORCED" FROM EACH OTHER.
** RECONNECT THE POWER SOURCE...(Battery)
(simple task)
Me..?? Military, mos 64c10, TRACKS & WHEELS TANK Full Technician.
HAPPY TRAILS....!!!
Thank you so much for your reply!

Goodness this is a long list, here I was thanking God it might just be a blown fuse. I will definitely have to have someone look into all this for me. The system was installed Nov 2019 and I have been using it with only a circuit breaker having to be replaced in April of 2020. Since then no other issues have come up until now. Thank you again!

Thank you so much for your reply!

Goodness this is a long list, here I was thanking God it might just be a blown fuse. I will definitely have to have someone look into all this for me. The system was installed Nov 2019 and I have been using it with only a circuit breaker having to be replaced in April of 2020. Since then no other issues have come up until now. Thank you again!
THE LIST is long because I broke it in STEPS.
It will take you 5 minutes to complete the list.
It is very SIMPLE.......SAVE THE $$$$. for a Vegan Dinner and a glass of Wine.

You can DO IT YOURSELF...it is a simple Task.
(If Live assistance is needed..?? RING THE BELL)
CHECK NAPA/HOME DEPOT FOR FUSE......
I'm sure I could if that was my only option and again so blessed to have all of you here to help if need be. As simple as it sounds I just don't feel comfortable taking on the task and will just incur the cost of having someone come out and replace it especially if there is more work that needs to be looked at.

Again, this forum is such a blessing for info and even live assistance like you mentioned for those who have to other recourse. Thank you so much!

I'm sure I could if that was my only option and again so blessed to have all of you here to help if need be. As simple as it sounds I just don't feel comfortable taking on the task and will just incur the cost of having someone come out and replace it especially if there is more work that needs to be looked at.

Again, this forum is such a blessing for info and even live assistance like you mentioned for those who have to other recourse. Thank you so much!
HAPPY TRAILS..!!

Yep, indeed that fuse looks very blown, and it would be the one to blow since it feed battery power to the inverter. It should have a flat, smooth, shiny metal strip showing through that fuse window. It being all jagged and tangled up like that means "blown".

I hope that's your only problem, but since you had so much running on your inverter at once, there is the possibility it overheated and shorted out inside, causing that fuse to blow. The picture of it looks like it can handle 3,000 watts steady and 6,000 watts for brief moments (like to start a motor) before it would overheat. But that's all depending on it's ability to cool itself. If the air pumping through it is too hot, how much wattage it can handle goes down because the parts inside can't cool themselves enough. Some devices short out from the heat and blow their fuse, but then work again when cool enough (the short goes away).

In any case, when you put in the new fuse, notice how it looks through that little window before you put it in. If the inverter still won't work, look at that fuse again, and if it's also gone all jagged and tangled, probably the inverter is staying shorted inside. I do hope for you, that's not the case.
I am so happy they decided to add that fuse in there, I remember them having that conversation and deciding to put it in.

I hope so too but I guess I will have to wait until I install the fuse to make sure. I know it has a fan that kicks in when it gets too hot but that didn't happen before it died on me. I hope there is a fix for a shorted inverter if that's the case because Ill be back here for some help with that. I'm crossing my fingers because it is definitely out of warranty.

Thank you so much for the tips and the well wishes!

Last edited:
THE LIST is long because I broke it in STEPS.
It will take you 5 minutes to complete the list.
It is very SIMPLE.......SAVE THE $$$$. for a Vegan Dinner and a glass of Wine.
Yes and thank you so much for breaking it down for me! It does seem like simple fixes, I just get overwhelmed easily which is why I always ask for help. I will cook at home a while for this to offset the costs, lol

I've been vegan for 5+ years! Cheers to that!

Latest posts