Inverter Shut off and Won't Turn Back On

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANL fuse is the type.....200 amp the size......................
yes I checked that on AMAZON but mine is a little longer so I have to measure it first. Good thing I have time to fix this before I have to head out again.

This highlights the need for one of the most simple troubleshooting tools of all time, pictured below:
View attachment 30894
This type of tool is available on eBay, Amazon, and at your local auto supply or hardware store. With it, you could check your fuse in just seconds, by attaching the clip to ground, and touching the probe to either side of the fuse. If the light lights on only one side, you have power to the fuse, and a blown fuse. If it doesn't light on either side, your problem lies closer to the battery. Often times if the load (In this case the inverter) is switched on, placing the clip on one side of the fuse and the probe on the other will tell you if the fuse is blown. If it lights, the fuse is blown. This is not a sure fire method, but it's quick and easy, and then you can move on to the next step. Obviously, you can also check the power right at the inverter with the same tool.

Everyone should have this basic tool, at the very least. If you do, there will always someone willing to step you through the troubleshooting process. It's much simpler to use than a meter of any kind, but it's only good for simple troubleshooting.

By the way, my inverter has 10 fuses inside all connected together for a total of 200 amps. So if you're having any good luck, the device may still be ok, but the internal fuses are blown.

Be extremely careful about opening up this type of electronic device. They have large capacitors which can retain a charge fore a long time, and accidental contact can result in a shock, or serious equipment damage.
I hope my inverter has fuses inside! I trust it does since it was so expensive!

I stick to just saying "Central New Mexico" as to not disclose my actual location. :p

Things are changing and people are starting to realize that being self sufficient and free is the way to be so your kids stance may soon change! Keep the vibes high and the universe will reward you!
Thanks Stardown2earth - understandable keeping yourself safe. Thanks for the good vibes and will do and I agree things are changing. Yes that part about, ''working on ourselves, " utilizing the solitude. Best 2 you and yours too.

I was about to order 3 but ended up with just two☺ and I'll get the testing tool as well. In two years that fuse never blew so I'm thinking I'm set for the next 4 years. Also just in case the spare gets damaged or too old somehow. I will not be plugging in two instapot anymore😅 and I will definitely be on the lookout for a solar expect to check my cables and see if I can upgrade to a 300w fuse just in case. Wondering if I could plug more stuff up if that's the case🤔

Thank you

That looks like what you need, and would give you four spares.
☺☺☺ I see what you meant now. I sometimes read things too fast. Yes I have 4 spares now. I didn't notice it was a 5 pack 😅 and was able to update my order in time. I'm shooting for a Monday install at NAPA since a cold front is rolling in this weekend. I want to keep the thread updated. ❤ ty

Attachments

• 20220309_172008.jpg
    20220309_172008.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 2
The fuse worked! and the inverter was not damaged at all! Hooray! I have full power again ! Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and help! Just in time for my Texas trip this weekend. Its gonna be a hot one!

Wow....three months later you got it working? Nice to have closure.

Where in Texas will you be heading?
Yes I know I put it on the back burner for a while focusing on so many other things and just now prioritized it because of my upcoming trip. Ill be heading to West Texas, ugh God help me. Thank goodness I have a Maxx Air fan. I also have a few other small fans so I should be okay now that I have my power back. I'm seeing a high of 106! eeek

Yep...its warm in West Texas from June thru the end of September, with an even longer hot season in Far West Texas.

This is also our severe storm season...we have been getting a lot of severe storms and that includes flooding, high winds, hail, and even the occasional tornado.

Be careful!

Yep...its warm in West Texas from June thru the end of September, with an even longer hot season in Far West Texas.

This is also our severe storm season...we have been getting a lot of severe storms and that includes flooding, high winds, hail, and even the occasional tornado.

Be careful!
Thank you I will! I'm gonna try and get out of there as soon as possible. I wouldn't mind a little rain because that means clouds and a little shade.

We have gotten no rain here where I am in New Mexico.