Inverter Shut off and Won't Turn Back On

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm....NM......RoadTrip ?

Pirate Camp in Quartzsite, AZ has free fuses and installation
Awe, my days of dreaming of heading west then finally heading west, twice, are over. Life kept bringing me back to Texas/New Mexico and after being "locked down" I realized that my mission revolves mostly on being alone, working on myself and being close to family. This "new crazy world" has a way of doing that to a person and puts in perspective the things that really matter. I do still follow along on YouTube remembering my days in the desert.

Thank you so much for the invite though, it is always so temping to head back out but I know that's not in the cards for me anymore especially with these gas prices! It will take me over $100 to fill my tank :D

Whoever you hire to replace that fuse, see if they'll let you watch them do it. If you can, you'll see how simple it is and be comfortable enough to do it yourself if there's a next time.

This highlights the need for one of the most simple troubleshooting tools of all time, pictured below:
View attachment 30894
This type of tool is available on eBay, Amazon, and at your local auto supply or hardware store. With it, you could check your fuse in just seconds, by attaching the clip to ground, and touching the probe to either side of the fuse. If the light lights on only one side, you have power to the fuse, and a blown fuse. If it doesn't light on either side, your problem lies closer to the battery. Often times if the load (In this case the inverter) is switched on, placing the clip on one side of the fuse and the probe on the other will tell you if the fuse is blown. If it lights, the fuse is blown. This is not a sure fire method, but it's quick and easy, and then you can move on to the next step. Obviously, you can also check the power right at the inverter with the same tool.

Everyone should have this basic tool, at the very least. If you do, there will always someone willing to step you through the troubleshooting process. It's much simpler to use than a meter of any kind, but it's only good for simple troubleshooting.

By the way, my inverter has 10 fuses inside all connected together for a total of 200 amps. So if you're having any good luck, the device may still be ok, but the internal fuses are blown.

Be extremely careful about opening up this type of electronic device. They have large capacitors which can retain a charge fore a long time, and accidental contact can result in a shock, or serious equipment damage.

This highlights the need for one of the most simple troubleshooting tools of all time, pictured below:
View attachment 30894
This type of tool is available on eBay, Amazon, and at your local auto supply or hardware store. With it, you could check your fuse in just seconds, by attaching the clip to ground, and touching the probe to either side of the fuse. If the light lights on only one side, you have power to the fuse, and a blown fuse. If it doesn't light on either side, your problem lies closer to the battery. Often times if the load (In this case the inverter) is switched on, placing the clip on one side of the fuse and the probe on the other will tell you if the fuse is blown. If it lights, the fuse is blown. This is not a sure fire method, but it's quick and easy, and then you can move on to the next step. Obviously, you can also check the power right at the inverter with the same tool.

Everyone should have this basic tool, at the very least. If you do, there will always someone willing to step you through the troubleshooting process. It's much simpler to use than a meter of any kind, but it's only good for simple troubleshooting.

By the way, my inverter has 10 fuses inside all connected together for a total of 200 amps. So if you're having any good luck, the device may still be ok, but the internal fuses are blown.

Be extremely careful about opening up this type of electronic device. They have large capacitors which can retain a charge fore a long time, and accidental contact can result in a shock, or serious equipment damage.
The link provided doesn't come to anything

^ Not quite......................a continuity tester has a battery

An Automotive test light skips the battery and senses the system voltage.............as described:

""This type of tool is available on eBay, Amazon, and at your local auto supply or hardware store. With it, you could check your fuse in just seconds, by attaching the clip to ground, and touching the probe to either side of the fuse. If the light lights on only one side, you have power to the fuse, and a blown fuse. If it doesn't light on either side, your problem lies closer to the battery. Often times if the load (In this case the inverter) is switched on, placing the clip on one side of the fuse and the probe on the other will tell you if the fuse is blown. If it lights, the fuse is blown. This is not a sure fire method, but it's quick and easy, and then you can move on to the next step. Obviously, you can also check the power right at the inverter with the same tool.""

Awe, my days of dreaming of heading west then finally heading west, twice, are over. Life kept bringing me back to Texas/New Mexico and after being "locked down" I realized that my mission revolves mostly on being alone, working on myself and being close to family. This "new crazy world" has a way of doing that to a person and puts in perspective the things that really matter. I do still follow along on YouTube remembering my days in the desert.

Thank you so much for the invite though, it is always so temping to head back out but I know that's not in the cards for me anymore especially with these gas prices! It will take me over $100 to fill my tank :D
Wow sounds similar to my findings since 2019/20. We are in Northern NM where about are you in NM? Except for all family is in Florida, Oregon and California not in the SW so--- we had hoped family esp kids would love to take us up on free land and come join us maybe even with an RV or build but after 25 yrs gave up on that intention.

^ Not quite......................a continuity tester has a battery

An Automotive test light skips the battery and senses the system voltage.............as described:

""This type of tool is available on eBay, Amazon, and at your local auto supply or hardware store. With it, you could check your fuse in just seconds, by attaching the clip to ground, and touching the probe to either side of the fuse. If the light lights on only one side, you have power to the fuse, and a blown fuse. If it doesn't light on either side, your problem lies closer to the battery. Often times if the load (In this case the inverter) is switched on, placing the clip on one side of the fuse and the probe on the other will tell you if the fuse is blown. If it lights, the fuse is blown. This is not a sure fire method, but it's quick and easy, and then you can move on to the next step. Obviously, you can also check the power right at the inverter with the same tool.""
I stopped at NAPA Auto Supply after not being 100% sure of the fuses I saw on Amazon and they used this tool to make sure that the fuse was indeed blown and it was. They had a fuse but it didn't have a "view window" and it was also too short so I didn't get it. They did offer to install it for FREE which was really cool but unfortunately they didn't have the fuse I needed I'm definitely getting this tool now that I have seen it and how it works. Thank you for suggesting it. My search continues. I need to measure the fuse to go back on Amazon and look with more certainty.

Wow sounds similar to my findings since 2019/20. We are in Northern NM where about are you in NM? Except for all family is in Florida, Oregon and California not in the SW so--- we had hoped family esp kids would love to take us up on free land and come join us maybe even with an RV or build but after 25 yrs gave up on that intention.
I stick to just saying "Central New Mexico" as to not disclose my actual location. :p

Things are changing and people are starting to realize that being self sufficient and free is the way to be so your kids stance may soon change! Keep the vibes high and the universe will reward you!

Check out Harbor Freight SKU 4288
There is no Harbor Freight in my town but the is an Ace Hardware. I was referred by NAPA to and Car Audio place that didn't show up on google when I checked, they didn't have it. Then I was told to check this smaller hardware store and they also didn't have it. I didn't have time to check ACE but I'm going to check sometime this weekend and also measure the fuse to check on Amazon again and make sure I get the right size

I asked NAPA if they would install it for me if I brought one and and they said YES!! So that was cool!