I finally got a van and it's an ex-FBI spy van with a periscope!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PlethoraOfGuns said:
That's a shame. Real nice, tight, neat battery bank you have there. 12v batteries are "dead" when they hit about 10.5v and 50% around 11.8v. A good, charged 12v battery will read almost 13v when at 100%. AGM batteries will be damaged if they are taken below 50%, aka 11.8v. If those batteries were sitting like that with those voltages for extended period of time, they are unfortunately probably no good. But definitely try to revive them.

Thanks very much! Good to know all that. I'll definitely try to revive them to see if I can get the voltage back up.

highdesertranger said:
with the voltage that low they are done.  they ain't coming back.  highdesertranger

So can I ask you a dumb question? If it says that the batteries are made to discharged to 50%, and if it's a 12 volt battery, wouldn't that mean that 50% would be 6 volts?

How do you know that 10 v is whaat they need to be at? I'm not saying you're wrong....I'm just saying I don't understand the math.

I'm a pharmacist...not an electrician, Jim! (a little Star Trek humor..)

Here is your answer for 12V Batteries:
State-of-Charge-Chart-Typical-Internet.jpg

Attachments

• State-of-Charge-Chart-Typical-Internet.jpg
    State-of-Charge-Chart-Typical-Internet.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 5
Oh well, at least I can use the bulk head for some great "closet space," now that the batteries are gone.

Anybody know how to patch large holes in the bottom of a van? I have one that is about 12x6 (used to be a vent for an A/C unit), and I have three holes that are circles that are about 6 inches in diameter, that were places where fans used to be, for some of their electronic equipment.

I was thinking of buying a rivet gun, and riveting metal to the bottom of the van, and then filling the hole in the wood spray foam. (There's thick wood and carpeting over the entire van floor, and I don't want to take it up, because most of it is pretty nice.)

Or, is this something I should take to a mechanic and have them do it right, by welding new metal on to the bottom of the van?

I think I would cut metal pieces larger than the holes then put sealant on the overlapping areas and screw them in place through the metal floor and into the existing wooden floor using short screws. Then under coat the underside. Then cut pieces of plywood to fit the holes covered with similar carpet and glue them to the top side of the metal. The spray foam will hold water and cause rust and pop rivets have a hole in the center you may have to fill or not fit tightly because of the wood above them so I wouldn’t use them.

I would go to a junk yard and get pieces of the floor. they will sell you pieces from the floor that have the ribs in them. get them for the same make and model van. that way they will fit with very little gaps. then get some of that automotive adhesive that they glue cars together with. yes now-a-days a lot of vehicles use glue to hold some parts together then slap those babies in place. that will give you a permanent, waterproof, decent looking patch.

never use spray foam that you buy at the hardware store on any automotive sheet metal.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would go to a junk yard and get pieces of the floor.  they will sell you pieces from the floor that have the ribs in them. get them for the same make and model van.

Here's a pic of a floor that was cut for fuel pump access to give you an idea of what you could do (but don't steal a street sign):

full-74232-4615-img_1067.jpg

Attachments

• full-74232-4615-img_1067.jpg
    full-74232-4615-img_1067.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 14
highdesertranger said:
I would go to a junk yard and get pieces of the floor.  they will sell you pieces from the floor that have the ribs in them. get them for the same make and model van.  that way they will fit with very little gaps.  then get some of that automotive adhesive that they glue cars together with.  yes now-a-days a lot of vehicles use glue to hold some parts together then slap those babies in place.  that will give you a permanent,  waterproof,  decent looking  patch.

never use spray foam that you buy at the hardware store on any automotive sheet metal.

highdesertranger

Thank you.

slow2day said:
Here's a pic of a floor that was cut for fuel pump access to give you an idea of what you could do (but don't steal a street sign):

Ha!! Funny! I should have kept the one I stole years ago in college.... Lol.

I'm going to take your suggestions of gluing some metal to the floor using automotive adhesive.

I talked to a guy who owns a junkyard last night, and he said the same thing - to not bother buying the actual metal from the bottom of Chevy van, but to just buy some sheet metal and glue it to the floor.

My next question is about the plywood floor....

Right now, there are TWO thick layers of plywood flooring on top of the metal. In all the videos I've watched of people using plywood for flooring, I've only seen one layer of plywood used. I think the FBI used two because they had so much stuff that was a bolted down to the floors of the van. It makes it nice and cozy and quiet and warm inside, but it also takes away a few inches from the height. I'm trying to decide if I should take off the 2nd layer of plywood, or if I should just leave both layers in there? What do you guys think?

It sounds like it has two layers of 1 1/8 inch subfloor. You definitely don’t need both layers and you could get by with one single half inch thick layer. You’ll gain more height interior and you’ll be able to carry more of other items that are useful.

Thanks. Yep, that is pretty much what I was thinking!

Question for today:
1. Does anyone know if you can buy pre-made cabinets for an over-the-cab storage area, for a van with a standard high top?

It had a really big overhead storage area that was attached to the bulkhead, but the periscope was right ini the middle of it (because the storage area was made larger for the periscope). And... I couldn't use the side cargo doors very easily with the bulkhead there, so I decided to just take out the bulkhead. And in order to take out the bulkhead, I also had to take out the overhead storage area.

I can try to build one myself, but I was thinking of just buying one that is pre-made and sticking it up there? Do they make those?

Thanks. I probably can't afford that cat this time, but I'll keep it in mind for the future!

The good news is, I still have the half-circle board that was used in the larger storage area, and I think it will be a good base for the smaller storage area above the cab. And I think I can use some stiff material from Joanne's fabrics to build out the sides.