I finally got a van and it's an ex-FBI spy van with a periscope!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacqueg said:
I started out with a freestanding platform bed unattached to the walls. I found the legs got in the way of arranging stuff under the bed. (Plus, I way overbuilt it, 2x4s with 4x4 legs! Yikes!) Abnorm just rebuilt it for me, using ledgers attached to the wall. I like it MUCH better. 

He used gadgets called NutSerts to attach the ledgers to the van walls. I gained a couple inches in height, which means I can now sit up straight on the bed and still (barely) clear the ceiling.

(thanks Abnorm!)

If he doesn't chime in here over the next couple of days, I'm sure you could PM him for more details.

Cool. Thanks for the tip!

Can anyone post a link to a platform bed using 2x2 instead of 2x4?

The only platform bed "blue prints" I can find are those using 4x4. My dad agrees with all of you guys that 2x4 would be way too much and not needed, but he's not a carpenter.

Or can anyone recommend a good carpentry book that might have a blueprint for instructions on how to make a platform bed using 2x2's?

Thanks!

Giggles said:
Thanks! So, what is Pirate Camp? Do I have to bring a parrot? :)

Yes. That’s the first requirement.

If you already have blueprint for a bed using 2x4s you like, you may be able to just swap in 2x2s in places. Bed side rails I wouldn't, the 2x4 will have more lateral strength. It doesn't need to be all 2x4, but depending on the design, should be some.

I use a cheap damaged hollow core interior door ( they come 80” long and up to 36” wide in 2” increments, you can modify them pretty easily and I have purchased them by talking to the store manager as they often get damaged in shipping for as little as $10) with a glued on 1/4” plywood top then simply use a 1 1/2” rail mounted to the wall for the length of the door to sit on. I then simply make a rectangle out of 1 1/2” with 2 braces to equally divide the rectangle which holds up the length of the door opposite the wall. I try to size the openings make it convenient to fit milk crates or plastic tubs under the bed for storage. If you weigh over 225 lbs it is a good idea to drill 1/4” holes in the hollows of the door and fill them with spray foam insulation them plug the holes with 1/4” wooden dowels cut flush. A 225 lb person can stand on them with little or no flexing. I paint the whole thing with exterior house paint to water proof it.

There is absolutely no reason to use 2x4's.  let me show you a couple of examples.  this is my bed platform I had to tear most of it out to install the floor,

IMG_2433 - Copy - Copy.JPG
1st off you can see the 2x2 ledger along the wall.  there isn't one on the wall on the left because I had to remove it so I could remove that sheet of plywood to add other things.

The rear of the bed platform is still in place.  you  can see the piece of plywood holding it up.  there is a 2x2 up top and on the floor.  the one on the floor is screwed to the floor then the vertical ply is screwed to it.  then up top a 2x2 is screwed to the vertical plywood and that same 2x2 is screwed to the horizontal plywood.  this is important because you should never screw into the end grain of the plywood.  also 1x2's could also be use here as the plywood is bearing the load not the dimensional lumber.

IMG_2442 - Copy - Copy.JPG
In this picture the left side of the platform is reinstalled.  on this one you can see the end piece of plywood holding up the platform.  notice the piece of plywood under the water heater,  that end piece of ply is sitting on top of that ply to distribute the load.  that vertical piece is also attached to 2x2 top and bottom.  also note that the vertical piece can be lightened by cutting out the center with either one big hole or smaller ones.

IMG_2441 - Copy.JPG
Now all 3 side platforms are installed.  however the support piece has not been install on the right side.  it went in between the 2 fridges.  then one center piece of ply that raises and lowers to give access to the under bed storage goes in.  so that's it 3 vertical pieces of plywood and the side ledger holds up that whole platform.  the platform is 8'x6' and I can jump up and down on it no problem.

when I get back there in a couple of weeks I will post more detailed pictures of the bed.

I hope that helps,

highdesertranger

Attachments

• IMG_2433 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2433 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    588 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2442 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2442 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    509.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2441 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2441 - Copy.JPG
    726.6 KB · Views: 14
Need some horizontal strength but don't want the weight of 2x4, go 1x4!

Cammalu said:
Yes. That’s the first requirement.

Will do. But do I need to train him to talk before I bring him? Or, is cursing ok? :)

highdesertranger said:
There is absolutely no reason to use 2x4's.  let me show you a couple of examples.  this is my bed platform I had to tear most of it out to install the floor,

1st off you can see the 2x2 ledger along the wall.  there isn't one on the wall on the left because I had to remove it so I could remove that sheet of plywood to add other things.

The rear of the bed platform is still in place.  you  can see the piece of plywood holding it up.  there is a 2x2 up top and on the floor.  the one on the floor is screwed to the floor then the vertical ply is screwed to it.  then up top a 2x2 is screwed to the vertical plywood and that same 2x2 is screwed to the horizontal plywood.  this is important because you should never screw into the end grain of the plywood.  also 1x2's could also be use here as the plywood is bearing the load not the dimensional lumber.

In this picture the left side of the platform is reinstalled.  on this one you can see the end piece of plywood holding up the platform.  notice the piece of plywood under the water heater,  that end piece of ply is sitting on top of that ply to distribute the load.  that vertical piece is also attached to 2x2 top and bottom.  also note that the vertical piece can be lightened by cutting out the center with either one big hole or smaller ones.

Now all 3 side platforms are installed.  however the support piece has not been install on the right side.  it went in between the 2 fridges.  then one center piece of ply that raises and lowers to give access to the under bed storage goes in.  so that's it 3 vertical pieces of plywood and the side ledger holds up that whole platform.  the platform is 8'x6' and I can jump up and down on it no problem.

when I get back there in a couple of weeks I will post more detailed pictures of the bed.

I hope that helps,

highdesertranger

Yes, it does!! Thank you very, very much.

bullfrog said:
I use a cheap damaged hollow core interior door ( they come 80” long and up to 36” wide in 2” increments, you can modify them pretty easily and I have purchased them by talking to the store manager as they often get damaged in shipping for as little as $10) with a glued on 1/4” plywood top then simply use a 1 1/2” rail mounted to the wall for the length of the door to sit on. I then simply make a rectangle out of 1 1/2” with 2 braces to equally divide the rectangle which holds up the length of the door opposite the wall. I try to size the openings make it convenient to fit milk crates or plastic tubs under the bed for storage. If you weigh over 225 lbs it is a good idea to drill 1/4” holes in the hollows of the door and fill them with spray foam insulation them plug the holes with 1/4” wooden dowels cut flush. A 225 lb person can stand on them with little or no flexing. I paint the whole thing with exterior house paint to water proof it.

Wow. Interesting idea! Thank you!

Ok, I found a GREAT piece of carpet remnant for the van, and I got a really good deal on it, too. So, as soon as I finish installing the carpeting, I'll start building the platform the bed.

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions. :)

(Yeah, I''m going with carpet, because the plywood floor on my van isn't exactly even, and I don't feel like buying, cutting, and building an entire new floor. Plus, I like carpeting. I got a carpet with a very short nap/shag, and I'll just cover it with some cheap $5 Mexican blankets to protect it. Plus, I decided that if I ever go camping in the winter, I want carpet. There is just nothing worse than stepping on cold floors in the winter. )

Giggles said:
Will do. But do I need to train him to talk before I bring him? Or, is cursing ok? :)

We are pretty used to cursing around here so no problem.

Photos of people cursing? I’ll go right over and throw a rock at Abnorm’s van..

Well, right now it's pretty much an empty van with a big roll of carpet in it. Lol. But as soon as I get the carpet rolled out, I will post a photo. iilil probably do that this weekend.

Yes, because documenting the cursing is the key to a successful build.

Oooh, I found this video...how to build your own composing toilet. I'm going to have to try this, because there is no way I'm going to pay out 900 bucks for a toilet. :)

A while back we had someone offer to help people build a separating toilet if you furnished the supplies and were near by.

I'm also doing doming like that, but in and under my dinette seat. Those ones you can buy are way too much money! You can make your own for under $200.

Latest posts