Found a great tool for cutting a fiberglass top - a DeWalt Multi Tool (wood cutting blade)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
So I finally decided to cut the FBI periscope out of my van high top today. It was too big, and I kept hitting my head on it. Plus, it was hard to get to the over-cab storage area.

Anyway, I watched a bunch of videos, and all these people got on top of the high top to do it, but I needed to make sure that I didn't cut into the wood frame that was holding the periscope in, so I decided to use a DeWalt Multi-tool wood cutter, and it works great. I was going to try to use my reciprocal saw, but the blade wobbles so much, I figured it would tear it to pieces. I didn't have a circular saw or a jig saw, but my brother had a multi-tool with a wood cutter blade that cuts straight up, or straight in, and it worked great! Clean slice, too.

So, if anybody ever wants to cut a fiberglass top from the inside, and you don't have any large hand tools like a circular saw or a jig saw...just use a multi-tool and just push straight up. It takes a long time to make all the cuts, but at least this way I don't have to go out and buy a jig saw or a circular saw, and I don't have to go up and sit on the top of my high top. (It's cordless, too.)

I'll try to post photos when I'm done....

When I"m done, I'm going to rig up my own vent fan. I was going to put in a Fantastic fan, but they are all 14'' square, and my periscope Frame is 18'' square, so the hole is too big, but that's ok....I'll figure something out.

Well, I have successfully installed a sun roof/ moon roof with a transparent vinyl cover.

Not sure how long it will last, but it should be good for a while. Lol.

I have attached it with industrial strength velcro, and that stuff has lasted for over a year with my canvas awning, so I figure it should be good for my vinyl moon roof.

The vinyl roof can come off completely, or I can raise It at the corners, or I can raise just one side, (or both sides and leave the middle intact) and slip a mini USB fan in there (or two), so then I have a poor-man's fantastic fan.

I also got some bug screen, too, and I'm also going to put some velcro on that so I can change out the vinyl with bug screen...since my biggest fear is having a moth fly into my van at night. lol.

Whew! Another project to add to my list....

Last edited:
Well, I'm happy to say that we're having a crazy monsoon tonight with lots of wind and rain (and we even had some hail for a few minutes, there!) and my hand-made vinyl and velcro skylight is holding up just fine ,with no leaks. Hopefully my van will still be dry tomorrow morning....will keep you posted!

Latest posts