I finally got a van and it's an ex-FBI spy van with a periscope!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PlethoraOfGuns said:
I'm also doing doming like that, but in and under my dinette seat. Those ones you can buy are way too much money! You can make your own for under $200.

Yep....I've got that on my list of stuff to do now. Carpeting....ceiling....bed...bench....kitchen...and composting toilet.

Yikes..I need more than 2 days off a week to get this van done before it gets ridiculously hot outside again...

Ok.i finally have some pics. This weekend is carpet installation. I took everything out of the van except the periscope, which is welded in. So I think its staying.

Yesterday I cut the carpet to fit and today I am glueing it down with adhesive.

I also had to rebuild the box.that.goes around the van ac/heater in the back, which is after market.

Well darnit..I still cannot post pics for some reason.

You're coming to Quartzsite for the weekend ?

If-You-Want.....Bring your materials and I'll build that BED you wanted.........or the toilet box..........or ?

Giggles said:
Ok.i finally have some pics. This weekend is carpet installation. I took everything out of the van except the periscope, which is welded in. So I think its staying.

Yesterday I cut the carpet to fit and today I am glueing it down with adhesive.

I also had to rebuild the box.that.goes around the van ac/heater in the back, which is after market.

Well darnit..I still cannot post pics for some reason.

abnorm said:
You're coming to Quartzsite for the weekend ?

If-You-Want.....Bring your materials and I'll build that BED you wanted.........or the toilet box..........or ?
Yes, I am coming to Quartzite Saturday aafternoon and leaving Monday afternoon.  

Hey, thanks! I might do that. I will let you know. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of bed I want...

I used to drive one of those periscope vans as a private investigator, with the desk mounted in place and a seat in the back too. I would think though that all that stuff takes up too much room for Van life?

Giggles said:
Yes, I am coming to Quartzite Saturday aafternoon and leaving Monday afternoon.  

Hey, thanks! I might do that. I will let you know. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of bed I want...

Oh great. Hope to see you. I’m in the same camp. Why leave so soon? That’s a pretty short time for Abnorm to help you build.

BulldogPI said:
I used to drive one of those periscope vans as a private investigator, with the desk mounted in place and a seat in the back too.  I would think though that all that stuff takes up too much room for Van life?

Very cool!!

Yep. I got rid of all of it but the periscope, which is welded in. I am afraid to take it out, because I'm afraid  it might crack the.fiberglass in my van's high top.

Cammalu said:
Oh great. Hope to see you. I’m in the same camp. Why leave so soon?  That’s a pretty short time for Abnorm to help you build.

Well I probably won't do any building this weekend. I was just going to take my van on a quick dry run to see how the insulation is.  Also I only get two days off during my work week, which are Sundays and Mondays.

But I might not even make it now, due to some family stuff that just came up today....

Ok, I got all my floor carpeted, half my wheel wells carpeted, half my bed installed, and my luan side panels installed.

(I would post pics, but I can't get the pics to work for some reason...)

Next, I need to finish my bed. For now, I have the platform resting on the window sills. (As long as I don't move the van, it should be fine...lol). I just need to build and install the supports for underneath the platform.

Then, this weekend, I'm going to build a small (Ok, tiny) kitchenette, just big enough to hold my Coleman stove....(which I will also use as can emergency heater)...

Ok, I got my bed in, and my shelving, so I'm FINALLY going out to Quartzite this weekend.

I was a going to go last weekend, and the weekend before, but a family emergency came up.

But this weekend.... I'm there!

Can't wait to see what it's like to (finally!) camp in my van!

Whooo hoo. I found the company that built the periscope, and they're going to let me have an owner's manual. Awesome. Maybe I can get it working again. :)

If you're gonna leave it installed, might as well get it operational. Having a periscope in your house would be the coolest thing ever!

PlethoraOfGuns said:
If you're gonna leave it installed, might as well get it operational. Having a periscope in your house would be the coolest thing ever!

I know...so excited. :)

I talked to the guy a little bit tonight and he said it wouldn't take much to get it working again.

Well, I quit my job today. Between the stress and their quotas and my health problems, I ouldn't deal with it any more. Humans were not meant to spend 8 hours a day staring at a computer screen. So...I have decided that I'm going to take the spring and summer to travel, write, and find a little plot of land to buy.