I finally got a van and it's an ex-FBI spy van with a periscope!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding vinyl plank floating floor systems, I have to partially disagree with HDR. WPC (wood composite) is vulnerable to expanding and contracting, but SPC (stone composite) is not. Here is copy pasta from an SPC spec sheet:

"Temperature after installation is complete should be kept
between -60°C (-76°F) and 60°C (140°F)."

The installation temperature range is a bit narrower. WPC is "water resistant" because wood. SPC is waterproof because stone.

Source: I recently did ALL of the research before supervising X as he installed our beautiful SPC floating floor in our egg.

I was just trying to look for SPC and only coming up with what is, or why vs WPC.
One article says it's referred to as rigid core flooring.
Looking at the specs for the flooring i linked a couple posts ago say it's got a fiberglass core.

Do you have a link/example for the SPC you used?
Edit: Disregard, instead of web searching i searched Home Depot and found their offerings.

Ok, I have 2 quick question..

1. Is it a good idea to put a roll of foam or thin carpet padding between the van floor and the plywood floor? My plywood floor is a little warped, and when I step on certain areas, it makes some noises. I was thinking that if I put down a roll of 1/4'' foam, it would make it quieter, and it would be softer to step on.

I know that a lot of people put in foam boards underneath the plywood floor, but then others say not to do that.

Also, how do I secure my plywood to the van floor? Screws? Or should I just let it float on top?

Foam is always a good idea. Big benefit is the insulation value. Do you have a corrugated floor? Please don't screw through the floor. 5 years from now your floor will be rotted away and you will need a new van. Adhesives and/or gravity is your friend.

I vote yes to the foam. I put 1inch of polyiso on my floor and it made a HUGE difference as far as my cold floor. highdesertranger

Well, I tell you one thing....don't ever use VanSpace3D. I paid them 20 bucks for van online 3d van design, and it didn't work, and they refuse to give me my money back. They basically called me a liar, saying they were able to open it, so I should be able to open it. I tried the password 6 times!

highdesertranger said:
I vote yes to the foam.  I put 1inch of polyiso on my floor and it made a HUGE difference as far as my cold floor.  highdesertranger

Thank you!

So I've been looking at different platform bed designs, and I'm trying to decide if it's better to screw 2 planks of wood to the van body, then put the 2x4's studs over that (along with 2x4 studs below the platform, too)....OR, if it's better to build the platform bed in between the walls, and not secure the bed to the body of the van at all.

I've seen people do it both ways on YouTube.

I would think that if you drill the wood planks to van wall, it might give you a few inches more to the bed. However, I'm also worried it could warp the metal (or put too much stress on it?) and maybe it might not be as sturdy or safe? Something tells me it might be better to build the bed, without screwing wood planks into the side of the van....??

Can you guys give any recommendations on that?

one thing for sure, there is absolutely no reason what so ever to use 2x4's. instead use 1x2, 2x2, and plywood. I would anchor it somewhere either the floor or the wall or both. highdesertranger

Giggles said:
So I've been looking at different platform bed designs, and I'm trying to decide if it's better to screw 2 planks of wood to the van body, then put the 2x4's studs over that (along with 2x4 studs below the platform, too)....OR, if it's better to build the platform bed in between the walls, and not secure the bed to the body of the van at all.

I've seen people do it both ways on YouTube.

I would think that if you drill the wood planks to van wall, it might give you a few inches more to the bed.  However, I'm also worried it could warp the metal (or put too much stress on it?) and maybe it might not be as sturdy or safe?  Something tells me it might be better to build the bed, without screwing wood planks into the side of the van....??

Can you guys give any recommendations on that?

I started out with a freestanding platform bed unattached to the walls. I found the legs got in the way of arranging stuff under the bed. (Plus, I way overbuilt it, 2x4s with 4x4 legs! Yikes!) Abnorm just rebuilt it for me, using ledgers attached to the wall. I like it MUCH better. 

He used gadgets called NutSerts to attach the ledgers to the van walls. I gained a couple inches in height, which means I can now sit up straight on the bed and still (barely) clear the ceiling.

(thanks Abnorm!)

If he doesn't chime in here over the next couple of days, I'm sure you could PM him for more details.

Nurserts are amazing! Very useful for attaching things to thin metals or metals in which you would not be able to get a nut behind.

Hi Jacque...You're Welcome !...You know I like a STRONG build......Nutserts or Rivnuts help me do that....but they are just another tool

Here's my earlier post on the forum about using them...

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=40378&pid=510956&highlight=rivnuts#pid510956

It's good to have a choice of Tools Fasteners Adhesives and Experience....."When all you have is a Hammer.....Every thing looks like a Nail"

HiYa Giggles...Pirate Camp is OPEN in Quartzsite Arizona... if you want help and are willing/able to Camp and Pay for your build materials

Welcome

Giggles said:
Ok, here is the video I made of my ex-FBI spy van... hope you enjoy it!

I get video unavailable. Is there another one I can watch?

highdesertranger said:
one thing for sure,  there is absolutely no reason what so ever to use 2x4's.  instead use 1x2,  2x2,  and plywood.  I would anchor it somewhere either the floor or the wall or both.  highdesertranger

Thank you!

abnorm said:
Hi Jacque...You're Welcome !...You know I like a STRONG build......Nutserts or Rivnuts help me do that....but they are just another tool

Here's my earlier post on the forum about using them...

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=40378&pid=510956&highlight=rivnuts#pid510956

It's good to have a choice of Tools Fasteners Adhesives and Experience....."When all you have is a Hammer.....Every thing looks like a Nail"

HiYa Giggles...Pirate Camp is OPEN in Quartzsite Arizona... if you want help and are willing/able to Camp and Pay for your build materials

Welcome

Thanks! So, what is Pirate Camp? Do I have to bring a parrot? :)