• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ex-FBI Surveillance Van ( 2008 Chevy Express Cargo converted camper van) - less than 30k for possible sale

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Hey, gang,

I was wondering if some of you might take a look at my van and let me know how much you think it might be worth.

It's an ex-FBI surveillance van. 2008. Still has the periscope in it.

I've run in to some financial difficulty and I don't want to sell it, but if I have to, I wanted to see how much the camper vans are going for these days.

I did the conversion mostly myself, with a little help from my dad. It still has the periscope in it, but everything else is new. It's a 2008 Chevy Express 1500, V6,, but it only has 27,500 miles on it.

Can anyone give me an estimate of what this van might sell for? The only thing is wrong with it, is that the passenger side arm-rest came off, but you can still open and close the door very easily. Other than that, it's in great condition.

I'm thinking I might be upside down in the van (owe more on it than it's technically worth for the blue book), but I have heard that converted camper vans are going for a lot more money now.

The bed is 37'' across.

Here's a video of my conversion:

part 1- before the conversion -

part 2 - after the conversion -

Any ideas of what I should offer it for, if I absolutely have to sell it?

Thanks,
Niki

Looks alot like an ambo. I like it but seems a V6 gas is too small. I've found too small an engine the worse mileage. I bought a full size Dodge Pickup with a V6 that never even got 15 mpg. Next I bought a 1 ton 4x4 Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins diesel & never got under 24 mpg.

Class Bs are going for good money. I’d put your good dollar amount on it and list it on rvtrader with good description and lots of pics. Use the listings for comparison as they are your competition.

Just an opinion here. So blue book ballpark with 27K miles is between 14K and 16.5K. This is a unique van but you kind of need to know a bit more about what it has done to it prior to you purchasing it. Is there insulation in the walls? I would imagine that in today's van market, a clean, raised top 14 year old van with low miles might see as high as 24K to 30K depending on your buyer and how clean the van is up close. While the van has really low miles, there are other things to consider. Was the oil still changed often? I would clean it out, make it spotless, fix the arm-rest and make it so it doesn't seem so "personal". Kind of like staging a home for sale. It only takes one person to come along and say, "oh awesome, a raised top low mileage van that is exactly what I want". You can list for free on (thevancamper.com) and also see what others are charging.

^Good points. It's low mileage but may have sat idling 24/7 for quite some time, so it would have required good maintenance. Many govt. agencies follow the 3000 mile oil change interval. So it may have had only 8 oil changes in 14 years...LOL. As long as it runs well and the AC,etc. works (you're in Phoenix,right?) you can probably get a good price. I wouldn't say as high as $24k but you never know since you're not that far from SoCal. Go high and if it doesn't sell after a time, you can always come down.

Can you stand up in it? You might note in your ad how much headroom it has.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, it was very well-maintained by the FBI.

The more I think about it, I really hate to sell it, because I used it so much this past year... and with rent prices, I might need place to live in this summer....and if I sell it, I'll have no place to live.

After I posted this, I was looking at jobs in National Parks. (I can't work in my old career anymore due to a disability....I haven't been able to work since last April, because if I'm on the computer for more than 10 minutes, I get really bad neurological problems.) So, right now, I took a job as a waitress. I just don't know if I'll be able to pay rent and pay my van payment...

But after I posted this, I went and looked at jobs in national parks (because it's too damn hot to live in Phoenix in a van...so maybe I'll try to do that...and just live in my van and work in a National Park somewhere in the mountains.

I think I just talked myself out of selling it. Lol.

You are making the proper decision given your choices. Rent is horrific, all over the country because our industrial base is shattered; this leaves Wall Street, industrial consolidations, etc. in power; and that power is interest (usury) to cause inflation and debt. A great start is working at the Grand Canyon; it was the best start for me after getting out of the military decades ago; have returned thrice to work there, but the last two in Tusayan. You have two options when working the park system: employer housing, and trailer parks which costs. With Grand Canyon you may camp within the national forest nearby, two weeks in a spot. There are showers inside the park run by the concessionaire. You may consider having two jobs, one inside the park, and other inside. Try the heliports and airports for various odd jobs, such as ramp work or taking tourist photos; or fill in part time. One of the best jobs is with GCNP Lodges inside is selling air trips for those flight companies in Tusayan; they pay you commissions directly in cash each week. You would be posted in hotel lobby, and be selling to incoming hotel guests [Need to verify whether it is still ongoing]. Air tours over the canyon is a big business. Be sure to get your one year America The Beautiful pass, which allows you entrance to the park, and also camping on BLM and NFS lands. If you are good at saving, there is nothing like working in the national parks; I loved it. FYI I am 75, and lived most of my life in Flagstaff, The Canyon, central Arizona. There are full time jobs both inside and outside GCNP. The good thing about Delaware North and Xanterra is that you can transfer to their other properties located in multiple states. Please be careful when driving in ice and snow in northern half of Arizona. A good rule of thumb is not to be on the road past 5PM when there is icing and snow.

Hey, gang,

I was wondering if some of you might take a look at my van and let me know how much you think it might be worth.

I've run in to some financial difficulty and I don't want to sell it, but if I have to, I wanted to see how much the camper vans are going for these days.

I did the conversion mostly myself, with a little help from my dad. It still has the periscope in it, but everything else is new. It's a 2008 Chevy Express 1500, V6,, but it only has 27,500 miles on it.

Can anyone give me an estimate of what this van might sell for? The only thing is wrong with it, is that the passenger side arm-rest came off, but you can still open and close the door very easily. Other than that, it's in great condition.

I'm thinking I might be upside down in the van (owe more on it than it's technically worth for the blue book), but I have heard that converted camper vans are going for a lot more money now.

The bed is 37'' across.

Thanks,
Niki

Try Carvana's "Buy program" just to see how much they Offer you.
Then try to find One like yours in their Stock.
You fill find that their Offer is usually 1/3 to 1/2 the Vehicle's actual Present Market Value as 03/03/2022. Good Luck
If possible Update Us on the results.
I'm sure the Info will help others in the same "Predictament". HAPPY TRAILS..!!!!

Hey, gang,

The bed is 37'' across.

Thanks,
Niki

I would definitely rethink selling it. Three years ago I purchased a wonderful 2017 GMC Savana cargo van with very low miles (under 15,000). I paid around $25k for it cash which I thought was alot at the time. I then drove it to Fiberine (Long Beach area in southern CA) and had a 24" bubbletop fiberglass hightop installed. That cost around $3k+ as I remember. It has since more than doubled in price I believe for the hightop. Buying the van and adding the hightop was one of the best decisions I have made. (Knock on wood). If I had to choose between an apartment or keeping a van I would definitely keep the van but you do you. I would try to have the broken periscope removed.

Mods: My reply here was not 'political'...it was reality. Similar to suggesting someone make an unplanned run to the grocery store during these times we find ourselves in.

Latest posts