I finally got a van and it's an ex-FBI spy van with a periscope!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I am so excited. I've been watching YouTube videos for the past year, trying to decide what kind of van to get, etc... I had gone out looking a few times this year, but then I got laid off due to the pandemic.. Then I finally got a new job in October... and now I find out. might lose that job at the end of December. So I decided the time was right to finally buy a van...in case I need to live in it!

So, I went out today to go van shopping today at another used car lot...and guess what? They had an ex-FBI spy van for sale. High-top van, with a custom fiberglass roof, and only 7400 miles on it! And I can't believe it, but..I bought it.

It has a desk, a chair, a sleeping bench, and even has a periscope! Lol. It also has a HUGE has a full size air conditioning unit in the back (because this is Phoenix, and I'm sure you could not do stake-outs without air conditioning. II was thinking I will probably take out the A/C to make more room, but then again, this is Phoenix...so maybe not. It has all these microphones, and switches and leavers...and  I have absolutely no idea what any of them do yet. But it will be fun figuring it all out. 

Anyway, I'm so excited! I finally got a van! I pick up the van from the dealer tomorrow...so I'll post photos then. :)

What a deal! Awesome find, Giggles. I would keep the AC unit until you have spent a summer or two in the van. Here in southern AZ you need cooling in the summertime, and also needed in some more humid areas where it gets hot. Keep us posted as you explore your new digs.
~crofter

Wow that is great I hope it makes a great home for you. Talk about stealth banning I think that one probably hides well. Good luck with it.

Giggles said:
 It has all these microphones, and switches and leavers...and  I have absolutely no idea what any of them do yet. But it will be fun figuring it all out. 

The third one from the bottom left....the red one....NEVER touch the red one. You've been warned!

:p

I know a guy that bought a car from a Police auction, and about 6 months later a stash of drugs in the car.

You'e kidding! Wow, that's crazy. lol.

I know, I keep wondering what I'll find. I asked them if the FBI left any owner's manuals for anything, and they said "Nope, they don't like to advertise everything they have in there." So I'm just goinig to have to explore the van on my own. There are lots of lights and microphones back there, and so far, they haven't figured out how they wok. So I might have to hire an electrician to help me figure out where they keep the battery bank, how the lights work, etc....

I guess this car from a drug bust and the police didn't find all the evidence, the drugs were stashed in a door or something.

NOTE: I have ridden in the back seat of a police car once or twice, but never in the front.

I have since learned my lesson, and paid my fines. :)

Be careful, the van may still be phoning home.

And just in case you want to check, here is this handy youtube video.  Or you could get a detector. -crofter

Now when you get it all fixed up you can 'FBI Surveillance Van' as your WIFI network.

That what I have mine set to.

Sorry I haven't posted photos yet...yesterday was a busy day. I am going to do a YouTube "van tour" today after work, and then I'll post a link when it's done.

Ok, here is the video I made of my ex-FBI spy van... hope you enjoy it!

Cool video. I subscribed so I can follow your updates. 

I see what you mean about the huge AC unit, much larger than most AC units used for the cabin if you figure the square footage. You could sell it for $$$ and downsize if your cooling needs are not that enormous. 

I like the captains chair and counter, I would keep those if they fit your plans. Is that a wood bulkhead, or metal?
-crofter

Thanks. The table is metal.

Yeah, I was going to take out the A/C, but I live in Phoenix, and I decided that I might need it in case I lose my job again this summer and end up homeless. Lol. We shall see....

I was also gong to take out the captain's chair because it is right in the middle of everything...but it is soooo comfortable. So, I might just move it, instead, to some place that isn't right in the middle of everything. It's comfy, but it's very, very big.