I finally got a van and it's an ex-FBI spy van with a periscope!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some of the FBI Vans with rear AC that use quiet fans to blow air over dry  ice because a loud AC compressor with noisy fans blows the whole undercover thing.

Here in Nevada, across US-95 from the Nevada National Security Site and the Area 51 Alien Travel Center and Alien Cathouse (not affiliated with the real Area 51), there is a Wi-Fi network with SSID "FBIStation2.4G".

So what can you actually see out of the periscope?  I am thinking that thing will be useless for security purposes, you would want to see areas close to the van, not up in the sky.  Might be good for birdwatching though.   ~crofter

66788 said:
I've seen some of the FBI Vans with rear AC that use quiet fans to blow air over dry  ice because a loud AC compressor with noisy fans blows the whole undercover thing.

That's a good idea, but this van is sound-proofed. In Phoenix, it gets sooo hot that the ice thing probably wouldn't work.

But I was able to get the A/C working yesterday by plugging it into an extension cord in my parent's garage (I haven't figured out how to start up the battery bank yet) and it started right up. It's pretty darn quiet!

crofter said:
So what can you actually see out of the periscope?  I am thinking that thing will be useless for security purposes, you would want to see areas close to the van, not up in the sky.  Might be good for birdwatching though.   ~crofter

I haven't figured out how to get it working yet. I think it's a power periscope, and I haven't figured out how to turn on the battery bank yet. In fact, the batteries might be dead....not sure yet. lol. 

But once I get the periscope up and running, I'll let you know..

Video has been removed by uploader.

That's what appears when I click on the link.

[ATTACH=full said:
27518[/ATTACH]Giggles pid='515480' dateline='1607304169']Oh my gosh, I am so excited. I've been watching YouTube videos for the past year, trying to decide what kind of van to get, etc...  I had gone out looking a few times this year, but then I got laid off due to the pandemic.. Then I finally got a new job in October... and now I find out. might lose that job at the end of December. So I decided the time was right to finally buy a van...in case I need to live in it!

So, I went out today to go van shopping today at another used car lot...and guess what? They had an ex-FBI spy van for sale. High-top van, with a custom fiberglass roof, and only 7400 miles on it! And I can't believe it, but..I bought it.

It has a desk, a chair, a sleeping bench, and even has a periscope! Lol. It also has a HUGE has a full size air conditioning unit in the back (because this is Phoenix, and I'm sure you could not do stake-outs without air conditioning. II was thinking I will probably take out the A/C to make more room, but then again, this is Phoenix...so maybe not. It has all these microphones, and switches and leavers...and  I have absolutely no idea what any of them do yet. But it will be fun figuring it all out. 

Anyway, I'm so excited!  I finally got a van! I pick up the van from the dealer tomorrow...so I'll post photos then. :)

Is this it? I almost bought this a few months back. Periscope etc. Opted for a high cube g30 military van instead but show people these pics all the time. Congrats.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-155923_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-155923_Facebook.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 33
Giggles said:
So, I went out today to go van shopping today at another used car lot...and guess what? They had an ex-FBI spy van for sale. High-top van, with a custom fiberglass roof, and only 7400 miles on it! And I can't believe it, but..I bought it.

It has a desk, a chair, a sleeping bench, and even has a periscope! Lol. It also has a HUGE has a full size air conditioning unit in the back (because this is Phoenix, and I'm sure you could not do stake-outs without air conditioning. II was thinking I will probably take out the A/C to make more room, but then again, this is Phoenix...so maybe not. It has all these microphones, and switches and leavers...and  I have absolutely no idea what any of them do yet. But it will be fun figuring it all out. 

Anyway, I'm so excited!  I finally got a van! I pick up the van from the dealer tomorrow...so I'll post photos then. :)
Holy moley! how exciting! I'd be crawling all over that thing to figure out all the switches. Is it already set up for solar?

Giggles said:
No, nothing like that...here's a new link. I'll keep this one up.

Awww, it's telling me the video is private. Is there a way I can see or are you just showing to your friends?

MoonPye said:
Awww, it's telling me the video is private. Is there a way I can see or are you just showing to your friends?

Oh, sorry...let me see if I can change it. I thought I had it as unlisted so anyone with a link could see it. Hold on....

MoonPye said:
Holy moley! how exciting! I'd be crawling all over that thing to figure out all the switches. Is it already set up for solar?

Nope, no solar. There are a TON of batteries hidden ini the bulkhead behind the passenger and driver seats, though. I think they charged the batteries with a generator before they took off on a surveillance job, because I found some cords with 3 prong electrical plug at the end.

I don't know much about electronics I'm taking it to an RV electrical guy to help me figure out how to charge the battery bank. If they can't figure it out, I'm just going to remove it all and put in ONE batter for my stuff, because I think that's all I will need.

They had so many elelctronics in there....it's crazy. They removed most of them, but left a ton of wiring. It's insane how much wiring there is in the van. Lol.

Ok, the video should be available to view now. I changed it from private to unlisted so only people with a link can watch it.

Here's the link again: 

abnorm said:
..and the Video is PRIVATE again ?????

No, it's working again. Sorry...I got mixed up between private and unlisted. You should be able to view it now.

Benjamin, nope, that's not it, but it's cool that there are others avaliable!

Well, the link finally works! The van looks awesome. I would also like to know if it has any factory options. Like heavy duty engine cooling system, an any transmission and rear differential options, stuff like that. I guess it has a 350 V8 and huge fuel tank.

Thanks. It has a ton of after market stuff put in by the FBI. I keep finding new stuff every day..by accident. I scared myself silly today because I was working on the inside of the cargo area, and the van started itself! I though it was haunted until I realized that I sat down on the key fob. But the funniest part was me trying to figure out how to turn it OFF. Took me bout 5 minutes. lol!

Anybody have any ideas of what kind of batteries these are? I was finally able to access the battery bank...