How does being a Nomad affect your rental history..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
..if you already have very good rental history when you start living on the road?  I'm asking because of the obvious question, what if it doesn't work out on the road, and you need to look and apply for rental housing, or even buying a home?  Also, if you have good credit, and continued to pay any bills/car-payments etc.?

I wouldn't think that it would affect rental history. If you had a good rental history, you should still have a good rental history. Not renting for a year or two is not a negative event. You were on an extended road trip. You weren't in prison.

Rental companies also look at your credit history along with your rental history.

Credit scores are different, you have to use credit wisely to have a good score, if one stops using credit, pays off the card(s), then goes "dark" for a year, that would bring down a credit score. You impacted their profits.

I've heard of credit history but never 'rental history'...as in...someone or some company that keeps a record of where and what you rented and if you were a good tenant...is there such a data base that can be accessed by your next landlord?

Wow...since I've not rented a place to live in about 30 years I guess I'm out of that loop.

I would advise that if you think you might need a 'safety net' you should keep your credit history in good shape.

You will figure out within a year if the lifestyle is possible for more years to come. That is not that long of a break in your rental history.

wayne49 said:
Credit scores are different, you have to use credit wisely to have a good score, if one stops using credit, pays off the card(s), then goes "dark" for a year, that would bring down a credit score. You impacted their profits.
Thanks Wayne,

I will buy something else that I can make payments on whenever I pay a balance off ;)  Sometimes before :p

maki2 said:
You will figure out within a year if the lifestyle is possible for more years to come. Try to get off the needless worry train, it is messing up your clear headed thinking. You are just causing more stress for yourself.
This isn't a worry Maki, I'm covering all my bases that come up ;)  Some can't be realized til I'm actually out there, but these are things that could, or would impact my life, a living option, plan-B situation, so I want to know.

tx2sturgis said:
I've heard of credit history but never 'rental history'...as in...someone or some company that keeps a record of where and what you rented and if you were a good tenant...is there such a data base that can be accessed by your next landlord?

Wow...since I've not rented a place to live in about 30 years I guess I'm out of that loop.

I would advise that if you think you might need a 'safety net' you should keep your credit history in good shape.
I've been a renter since my divorce and yes, rental history counts either for you, or against you.  I do believe in a safety net, which is my savings, and it's not hard to for me to keep my credit score high.  I wasn't sure if Nomads are considered homeless.  That's something I've never read about or heard.  I know you can have a "home" address, and do not know all the legalities on that for sure.  I do all my business, banking etc. online so seems that would be pretty easy to do anywhere as long as I have the "home-address".  I read Bob's blog but need to read it again.  I was wondering if that info is up to date for "forwarding addresses".

Ask a few landlords (like me) and you'll find the only rental history they care about is evictions (which is usually local limited) then it's credit history - charge offs, bankruptcies, etc. - signs you didn't pay your obligations, then income and work history. Big question - will they be a priority in your budget for getting paid. However, most "mom & pops" check nothing. Lots of landlords in the pandemic found out whom they could count on.

In some cases being homeless would be to your advantage. There are apartment projects that get lower financing rates and tax breaks if they have a certain number of units set aside for the homeless. Senior/disabled/low income HUD properties mostly where 30% of your income goes for rent. Years ago I had been full-timing in a Class B and needed to get an apt. due to health problems. I checked with a local housing authority and they helped get me into a really nice senior complex.

At the time, I explained to them I wasn't really homeless because I had shelter and I didn't want to take an apt. from a truly homeless person. They told me not to worry because at that complex they had two apts. that had sat empty for 3 years because there were no homeless applicants that could pass the background and credit checks.

The tax breaks ended 20 years from the time the apts. were built, so my rent eventually went up a lot. I stayed on for a couple more years because I worked a part-time job and could afford the higher rent.

So anyway, keep the credit history good and you should be fine.

As many of you know I do apartment maintenance we deal with 8 complexes and 8 managers. Let me tell you a little secret about Manager referrals and renting history,

Sometimes the worse tenants get the best ratings. The managers do this to get rid of problem tenants, after all if they tell the truth nobody would rent them an apartment and they would more than likely not move. In California it's very hard to get rid of a problem tenant. So they give them 5 star AAAA+++ ratings. Well this is all well known, so when the manager sees that it's a red flag. In other words what I am trying to say is the Managers don't put a lot of stock in a renters history. At least in Southern California.

Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
In other words what I am trying to say is the Managers don't put a lot of stock in a renters history.  At least in Southern California.

Highdesertranger
don't doubt it one bit.  Money is the game after all. :cool: The nice thing about having good rental history, is I'd always have atleast one apartment complex that would rent to me as soon as they could get me in.