Group purchase of land for RV community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I stumbled upon a group doing a commune type lifestyle by accident right in my hometown. There's a great coffee shop in Plymouth Ma called Blue Blinds, I always knew it was run by a religious group but never looked further into it nor cared. They offer all homemade from scratch breads, pastries, etc and mostly organic. They were just recently in the news because a disgruntled former member has been accusing them of bad stuff, all untrue I believe. Local police aren't pursuing it. Anyways, this prompted me to look into it further. They run farms, restaurants and hostels in multiple states and countries now, but started off as just a small group in one location of people in the 70's who wanted out of the norms of society. Evidently, for them it worked with overwhelming success.

Here's a website to the group, although they founded theirs on the common ground of religion, you might find some ideas in there that could apply to your needs/wants.

http://www.twelvetribes.com/

And if you're ever in Plymouth Ma, you have to try their food, it's like stepping back in time a few hundred years. They have other restaurants around the country I plan on seeking out once i'm on the road.
http://www.twelvetribes.com/community/blue-blinds

I had a lot of negative input added to the thread earlier and still think they are valid concerns. But for what it's worth, I hope you get a group together and make your idea succeed. Mainstream society is set up to make the rich richer and anyone that can figure out a way around it and make it work for them is the type of people I root for.

ghost said:
Hey all!  

I was wondering if any of you ever considered getting together - say 20-30 people - from this forum and purchasing a nice 5-10 acre parcel of land somewhere out west and all chipping in on it?  We could all park our RV's etc. on the land.  We would all have different skills and help each other in different ways.  One person could buy a sweet solar set up, another few could chip in and have a well dug.  Just a passing thought.  The best part is we would have a little community (family) off grid on our own private land to call home base.  

Peace,

Matt

ghost--love this idea,  my new adventure to travel west is to check on land for a home base,  I've been searching land in TX, NM, AZ, NV on landwatch.com and have found a few listings for desert land  up to 20 acres for less than 8K  in NM and TX  and without zoning headaches or time frames for building ...plenty of room to share and safe place for traveling friends to stop and visit.   Doug (moonwolf65)

moonwolf65 said:
ghost--love this idea,  my new adventure to travel west is to check on land for a home base,  I've been searching land in TX, NM, AZ, NV on landwatch.com and have found a few listings for desert land  up to 20 acres for less than 8K  in NM and TX  and without zoning headaches or time frames for building ...plenty of room to share and safe place for traveling friends to stop and visit.   Doug (moonwolf65)

Sounds awesome moonwolf!  Keep me posted here or in email if things start to develop.  I knew when I started this post things wouldn't happen overnight.  It's a lot of planning and community input.  So many factors come into play...

Peace,

Matt

Greetings everyone!

I wanted to wish Bob, and all of the fellow kind RV ers on this forum, a happy new year!

I met a nice woman - on the site here - and we are going to full time it in a 2017 Campfire in the PNW (RV park) in the spring.  We plan to meet up with you guys, just as soon as we get settled, and are looking forward to it!

Best regards!  Best wishes, and thanks Bob - still watching your new vids on YT...

Matt

I'll mention a couple of places I saw in Rhode Island when I was visiting relatives there.

One was a large lake that would take about an hour to drive all around.  The family that owned the property
leased small spaces all around the lake.   There was grid power, water, and sewage, phone. (this was pre internet times and enough TV channels then to satisfy those who were there. (no cable)   This place was open from the beginning of March till the end of October with March & October being limited for maintenance.  Most of these lots had a 3 ft tall sea wall made of Cedar wood and during March and October the Lake was drained down to where the water receded out such that the dock could be worked on.     People living there had these small cottages or Tiny Homes on these small lots that were viewed as personal property.  They could sell them but the property remained the owner's possession.   These small places were occasionally moved on trucks to other lots by new owners. 

A Second place I was shown while there was on the Atlantic coast.  Again small lots available through certain months of the year,  except no buildings.  Just RV's.  Same basic idea however.

Both of these places had utilities,  Dumpsters for weekly trash pickup,  street lights,  some
paved streets and the others gravel. 

If anyone had the funds to purchase or lease a tract of land to set up a seasonal camp and get tenants
who would want to return there each year this may be a possible solution. 

These could exist in the north in the summer and south in the winter, for those who would want it.  It could also double as RV Storage for those who would want to leave their rig there all year.   I've seen this done in
Florida.   But by doing this it may not appear to be so "cult" or "commune", but rather RV Business.  (then those living there could do as they choose)

eDJ_ said:
I'll mention a couple of places I saw in Rhode Island when I was visiting relatives there.

One was a large lake that would take about an hour to drive all around.  The family that owned the property
leased small spaces all around the lake.   There was grid power, water, and sewage, phone. (this was pre internet times and enough TV channels then to satisfy those who were there. (no cable)   This place was open from the beginning of March till the end of October with March & October being limited for maintenance.  Most of these lots had a 3 ft tall sea wall made of Cedar wood and during March and October the Lake was drained down to where the water receded out such that the dock could be worked on.     People living there had these small cottages or Tiny Homes on these small lots that were viewed as personal property.  They could sell them but the property remained the owner's possession.   These small places were occasionally moved on trucks to other lots by new owners. 

These could exist in the north in the summer and south in the winter, for those who would want it.  It could also double as RV Storage for those who would want to leave their rig there all year.   I've seen this done in
Florida.   But by doing this it may not appear to be so "cult" or "commune", but rather RV Business.  (then those living there could do as they choose)
If one company could own both north and south, sure would bring new meaning to "snowbirding". I have fond memories of spending 1970/71 aboard a Navy Frigate based in Newport R.I.
Do you remember where in R.I. that lake was?

highdesertranger said:
I know exactly where that campground in post #51 is.  I drove past it a month ago and drive past it a few times a year.  it's in the Oregon outback,  it gets bitterly cold there in the winter,  below 0 is not uncommon.  some type of snow removal equipment will be needed as the snow does get up to your ass.  the closest large city with large grocery stores,  Costco and Walmart is over 130 miles away.  cell service is real spotty in that area.  the camp ground itself sit less than 100 yards of US395 in Oregon,  although the is not a ton of traffic on 395 in OR there is still traffic and there will be the road noise.  this part of OR is deep red.  you are closer to the state of Jefferson then you are to the state of OR.  just saying don't get all excited,  there is a reason that campground is so cheap.  highdesertranger

I lived in Bend, Oregon twice and explored the outback extensively. Forget growing food out there unless it is hay for horses. You can get a frost almost year-round. Maybe hunting pronghorn and sage grouse may be an alternative. Therefore, all those moving there should expect to be on  :D a paleo diet

IanC said:
Once, driving around in the hills here in Massachusetts and following unmaintained dirt roads up through steep hills, I got to the top and there on a couple of cleared acres were 2 tiny houses. Two guys were working in a large garden. It was dead quiet up there , overlooking the valley far below - one of the most peaceful things I have ever seen. I wanted to go back and talk to those guys, but could never find that place again.
The point is , I think the smaller the number of people involved, the better. People who you know you're compatible with. But , like anything else , you do it and if for some reason it didn't work out , what the hell. You are young enough to do a million more things in your life - some will work, some won't (for me it's usually been the latter - but I'm still alive). My definition of success is not the longevity of the project , it's that you did it at all.

Sounds like Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen in Papillion!

I suppose your dreaming was nice while it lasted.... and we all need to do that from time to time (or more often).

But imo the RV - van dweller groups are not the ones who will be content with the idea. You'd have to incorporate in some fashion, unless you have a land donor who is rich.

There will be a religion==at least one== because each person is/has a spirit that guides them and "we're" van dwellers because it drives us differently than societal "norms" (for now.)

Perhaps a better dream is to find someone with a lot of land that will open up to this van dwelling idea.... like um...hey---the BLM land?

What I think we could all do is in our travels talk to people in the communities we visit and ASK if they know someone who might have land to open it up for temporary stays by van dwellers.... similar to the short list of people with homes and long driveways?

This is first answer to a post I've made. Forgive me if I'm doing it all wrong. I actually did some Google search & right off the bat I found 1.39 Acres for approx $2500. I've also been researching large tents, yurts, water, ETC. I'll wait & see if I get any replies cuz I'm new here ?

Edit: personally I'd prefer somewhere not SO cold. Whatever individuals choose to reside in, we could make certain structures to cook in or do crafts, "workshops ", that sort of thing. I've seen it 'called ' different types of living. The problems seem to always come down to finances, ya know? Sharing the wealth. THAT is a shame. But it's working in many places.

I'll try to look up the sites & post them.

Lovely { rainy } evening for me - hope you are enjoying yours! ?

Hi Meme, folks usually do an introduction post over in the newcomers section, but jumping right in is fine too. Welcome to the board.

Sounds like a Commune to me. Been there done that. What eventually happens in these communal situations is a few pull all the weight and most suck off of others hard work.
I'll stick with being mobile, indepedent and as free as is possible in today's world.

I enjoyed reading these posts brought back memories of the time I was young with a head full of dreams and trust for others. Those days were stolen from me and here I sit wounded and abandoned and ripped off.

highdesertranger said:
while I like the spirit of this thread and believe it to be a great idea,  I also feel like it's doomed to failure.  I could be wrong but I think that pulling this off is like herding cats(no offense to those with cats).  trying to make everybody happy will end up making no one happy.  others have said "this is against what we are about"  I tend to agree.  after all we are nomads and by nature nomads don't stay in one place.  highdesertranger
I have not read through the entire thread yet; I decided to reply at this point.  I tend to agree that the specific idea addressed by @highdesertranger is likely to fail.  Another idea might work.  If one person had resources to contribute and could create a temporary way station for nomads who might only stay for a maximum of a week with an opportunity for vehicle repairs, solar panel installation, rest, etc., this could work.  If I had the resources, I would consider doing this in my community.  One resource available in many cities are MakerSpaces.

The definition of a makerspace in the link above is too limited. My son is on the board of directors of a makerspace that is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization with no (formal) connection to a school, library or outside business. This makerspace has received grants, member dues and contributions, etc. and recently bought its own building after renting a building for several years. Instructional (& safety) classes, advanced concept classes, etc. are offered.

DannyB1954 said:
I should add here in Pahrump Nv, you can get a permit to live on your land in an RV for 6 months. Then you have to leave for 6 months. You can also build a structure of 200 sq' without a permit. getting water and sewer may be a problem. Under an acre, you can't have a well or septic. The utilities do not provide those services in most areas.
On several occasions, I have looked (online) at properties for sale in Pahrump to have a fixed anchor location.  Can you get an address for such properties (e.g. for a Real-ID, a Medicare Advantage plan)?  What about liability insurance?  If I had such a property, I would almost never be there but would travel through the west and midwest.  I have an open invitation to visit Florida; I got a text message today from a friend/co-author encouraging me to come to Florida; Now!!  Florida, Texas, Arizona, California, Oregon, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, New Mexico, etc.  NOLO (New Orleans, LA) for the food.