Group purchase of land for RV community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyB1954 said:
If the land is desireable, you can bet it is not cheap. If the land is cheap, you can bet it is undesirable for a myriad of reasons, ( no water, no civilization nearby, etc). For a while some communities were giving houses away just to boost their tax base. You may be able to buy a whole neighborhood cheap in Detroit Mi.

Oh God no!  Polluted water, high taxes, and get a hole blown in you stopping to get a pizza.  I'll pass.  Going to purchase 5 acres outside or Bend or Eugene, OR most likely.

my sis lives outside of Bend. 40 acre minimum. you must buy your water rights according to use. no irrigation for a garden unless you buy. highdesertranger

ghost said:
Oh God no!  Polluted water, high taxes, and get a hole blown in you stopping to get a pizza.  I'll pass.  Going to purchase 5 acres outside or Bend or Eugene, OR most likely.

I had a friend just East of Bend. They had to have their water trucked in. Wells were something like 400 feet deep in the area.

yep I think sis's well is over 300. and it's just a small household well. highdesertranger

I've been thinking about this. Unless you buy land waaaaaaay out in the boondocks, you would likely end up with a relatively small chunk of land. If you cram everyone together, you'll have problems. And if it is cheap enough and desirable enough, it will fill up and stay filled, with no room for the newbies, even if they're just passing through and stopping for the night. No one who invests capital in it will want to have only a limited number of days that they can stay. For the ones who don't have a capital investment, and have limited days, it's just like boondocking, but they have to pay.

And, what do the owners do if it's only a seasonal place, like May through October? Is someone going to caretake, or let the local losers come in and steal/trash everything?

The single big benefit that I could see to an arrangement like this is a convenient place to receive mail and packages.

DannyB1954 said:
I had a friend just East of Bend. They had to have their water trucked in. Wells were something like 400 feet deep in the area.

You are correct.  And from what I understand some of the cleanest fresh water in the world out of those wells.

TrainChaser said:
I've been thinking about this.  Unless you buy land waaaaaaay out in the boondocks, you would likely end up with a relatively small chunk of land.  If you cram everyone together, you'll have problems.  And if it is cheap enough and desirable enough, it will fill up and stay filled, with no room for the newbies, even if they're just passing through and stopping for the night.  No one who invests capital in it will want to have only a limited number of days that they can stay.  For the ones who don't have a capital investment, and have limited days, it's just like boondocking, but they have to pay.

And, what do the owners do if it's only a seasonal place, like May through October?  Is someone going to caretake, or let the local losers come in and steal/trash everything?

The single big benefit that I could see to an arrangement like this is a convenient place to receive mail and packages.

Wouldn't having a community type atmosphere be a benefit?  Like if an older person needs a ride into town because the aren't feeling well as opposed to calling an ambulance for $5k?

I'm confused. I thought the very thing you are talking about building is what you all want to get away from

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ghost wrote, "You are correct. And from what I understand some of the cleanest fresh water in the world out of those wells"

if you consider barely passing the EPA test for potable water clean then I guess you are correct. this is after you spend 40k plus to have the well installed. highdesertranger

Cammalu said:
I'm confused.  I thought the very thing you are talking about building is what you all want to get away from

Not all. Some might be looking to build a home base, devolop a sense of community, enjoy cooperation between like minded folk.
It's just a matter of finding the others.

16 pages and I see no one interested in putting money in. I think somebody is trying to milk a bull. Well as long as the bull is happy I suppose.

You mad bro? Seems like. Gotta factor how much of a thread goes directly to PMs and email. lol

DannyB1954 said:
16 pages and I see no one interested in putting money in. I think somebody is trying to milk a bull. Well as long as the bull is happy I suppose.

So are you in?

Cammalu said:
I'm confused.  I thought the very thing you are talking about building is what you all want to get away from

I want to get away from the white picket fence american dream fiction that a lot of younger people think they can acquire by going to college and going $100k into debt.  I started this thread because I want to live a free and simple life and not feel like a slave to the system.  I thought a community-type atmosphere would be better than going about it solo, that's all.  

And let me say this - It was the best thing I've ever done.  The members I have met in PM's are awesome, and one in particular I feel is a life partner.  Good luck to everyone.  I found my answer.

Peace,

Matt

I think you have the beginnings of an excellent idea here.

Speaking only for Heather and I (and not any group or groups), depending on the location chosen - and the legal structure of the arrangement, you could count us in.

First, the location: Heather and I still fall into that 'see the whole country' mode with respect to our travels. However, we know (and currently maintain a list of locations), one day, we will want to do the North / South (follow the seasons) deal - with one or two locations up north and the same in the south (rotating every other year or so). For us (and again, speaking only for us), 'buying in' is a no-brainer. We wouldn't 'use' the facilities all that frequently at first, but it time, we would definitely (with the right location) spend 5 / 6 months a year there.

Second, the legal structure: Corporations (for-profit, non-profit and not-for-profit) easily provide the structure needed with all 'owners' holding shares purchased through the 'buy in' fee. One need look no further than Fraternal Organizations (many of which have their own campgrounds on site) to see how such a structure can be expanded in include profit ventures for taking care of the monthly costs. 

Of course, several hurdles do exist. With respect to governmental / authority types, each sate has a list of laws with respect to the formation of a 'Private Club' - Moose, Elks, VFW, American Legion ALL fall into this category. Follow this road map, and you'll not have issues. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Follow what others have successfully accomplished before you. 

It is the organizational aspect of these 'Fraternal Groups' which makes the thing work. Almost everyone associated (even at some of the highest levels) performs their duties 'charitably' - the do not receive a paycheck. Usually, the 'bookkeeper' (often titled differently) does receive a stipend (since they have the responsibility of overseeing cash flow), but numerous checks and balances exist to ensure the cash flow can never walk right out the door. Think about it: What you propose differs very little from these groups - only instead of WW II vets (or people in odd looking hats), you have RVers, Van Dwellers, and Tent Folk. 

Not only can this be done. It already is being done. Many who have posted here, no doubt, either drive right by one of these organizations (or belong to one), but didn't make the connection.

Think beyond the box. 

Your audience is not just those viewing this thread, but anyone who wants a reliable, safe and familiar location where literally "everybody knows their name."

Let us know how we might help.

Thanks for the awesome, informative post Todd!  Are you open to somewhere in the PNW?  I have my capital ready to put down.  I want to make sure it goes to good use -- before it gets devalued by "helicopter money" any more than it already has...

Best,

Matt

ghost said:
Thanks for the awesome, informative post Todd!  Are you open to somewhere in the PNW?  I have my capital ready to put down. 

We've never traveled to that part of the country (yet). Not that we are 'adverse' to doing so. That location just hasn't fallen into our plans. We'd certainly look into whatever location you had in mind. 

Now, you'll want to spend some time researching how exactly you plan to have this 'business' remain an ongoing concern. Maintenance, Repairs and Capital Improvements represent just a few of the items where you'll need 'cash flow' to solve certain issues. After all, you'll need a lawnmower to cut the grass, and someone will have to actually use that mower. You could simply 'assess' the shareholders a certain monthly amount to cover all expenses, taxes, fees, insurance, electrical use (or the cost of building a wind / solar array), but I encourage you to seek out alternative solutions to developing 'cash flow'. Using (once again) the 'Fraternal Example' mentioned in my previous post: Take a look at how this Jacksonville, Florida Moose Lodge chose to solve the issue of 'cash flow.' They not only sell alcohol (as do almost all Fraternal Organizations) and food, but also, they currently host some 100 RV Sites with Full Hookups (including WiFi and Cable)

Mandarin Moose Lodge

Many other Fraternal Groups follow the exact same model. The Eagles, Elks, VFW, American Legion, Moose, Shriners (and a host of others) each sell alcohol (and food) used as a profit center to fund their various activities (such as owning property and buildings and covering maintenance / repair costs). Some of these have seen the wisdom of 'branching out' by adding overnight and longer term camping facilities in an effort to increase their cash flow. People stop, hook up pay their fees, have a few cocktails (and maybe a burger or whatever special is served that day) and then head back to their rigs to sleep. The next morning, the guests enjoy a nice breakfast before departing for their next destination. Occasionally, these 'visitors' become members of the respective organization. Some campground locating apps (RV park is one example) even have Moose and Elks Lodges embedded in their maps.

Perhaps, the above represents too large an enterprise. Perhaps, once you gather the appropriate number of individuals to purchase the location and form the corporation, the 'shareholders' will vote to pay a monthly 'HOA fee' to cover the expenses required. Either way, you'll need a strong business plan to make the whole operation work. Even then, you'll experience issues along the way.

If we can help you while you develop your plan, fee free to let us know. We've done this sort of thing before. Also, keep in mind for the next 4 to 5 years, we'd rarely use the facility (since we are still in the 'see the world' mode). However, we certainly see no problem 'buying in' once you get all your I's dotted and T's crossed. After all, the corporation could always 'rent out' our spot until we wanted to use it (also improving cash flow).

HTH

I mean... Just how awesome is this positive, constructive reply to my question?  You, my friend, are a heavy hitter in the world of thinking outside of the box (a shitty $400k  "house" to make your a slave)  Thank you sir.

ToddandHeather said:
I think you have the beginnings of an excellent idea here.

Speaking only for Heather and I (and not any group or groups), depending on the location chosen - and the legal structure of the arrangement, you could count us in.

First, the location: Heather and I still fall into that 'see the whole country' mode with respect to our travels. However, we know (and currently maintain a list of locations), one day, we will want to do the North / South (follow the seasons) deal - with one or two locations up north and the same in the south (rotating every other year or so). For us (and again, speaking only for us), 'buying in' is a no-brainer. We wouldn't 'use' the facilities all that frequently at first, but it time, we would definitely (with the right location) spend 5 / 6 months a year there.

Second, the legal structure: Corporations (for-profit, non-profit and not-for-profit) easily provide the structure needed with all 'owners' holding shares purchased through the 'buy in' fee. One need look no further than Fraternal Organizations (many of which have their own campgrounds on site) to see how such a structure can be expanded in include profit ventures for taking care of the monthly costs. 

Of course, several hurdles do exist. With respect to governmental / authority types, each sate has a list of laws with respect to the formation of a 'Private Club' - Moose, Elks, VFW, American Legion ALL fall into this category. Follow this road map, and you'll not have issues. No need to reinvent the wheel here. Follow what others have successfully accomplished before you. 

It is the organizational aspect of these 'Fraternal Groups' which makes the thing work. Almost everyone associated (even at some of the highest levels) performs their duties 'charitably' - the do not receive a paycheck. Usually, the 'bookkeeper' (often titled differently) does receive a stipend (since they have the responsibility of overseeing cash flow), but numerous checks and balances exist to ensure the cash flow can never walk right out the door. Think about it: What you propose differs very little from these groups - only instead of WW II vets (or people in odd looking hats), you have RVers, Van Dwellers, and Tent Folk. 

Not only can this be done. It already is being done. Many who have posted here, no doubt, either drive right by one of these organizations (or belong to one), but didn't make the connection.

Think beyond the box. 

Your audience is not just those viewing this thread, but anyone who wants a reliable, safe and familiar location where literally "everybody knows their name."

Let us know how we might help.

Amazing insight (and oversight on my part) this makes perfect sense...

ZoNiE said:
Amazing insight (and oversight on my part) this makes perfect sense...

Hell yeah.  The system is meant to make it an "oversight".  Be awake and aware or your surroundings no matter where you are.

Godspeed.

Matt

Latest posts