Group purchase of land for RV community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ghost said:
After reading all of the responses maybe it would be best if I found someone to buy a piece of land with me and off-grid it.  

Once, driving around in the hills here in Massachusetts and following unmaintained dirt roads up through steep hills, I got to the top and there on a couple of cleared acres were 2 tiny houses. Two guys were working in a large garden. It was dead quiet up there , overlooking the valley far below - one of the most peaceful things I have ever seen. I wanted to go back and talk to those guys, but could never find that place again.
The point is , I think the smaller the number of people involved, the better. People who you know you're compatible with. But , like anything else , you do it and if for some reason it didn't work out , what the hell. You are young enough to do a million more things in your life - some will work, some won't (for me it's usually been the latter - but I'm still alive). My definition of success is not the longevity of the project , it's that you did it at all.

IanC said:
Once, driving around in the hills here in Massachusetts and following unmaintained dirt roads up through steep hills, I got to the top and there on a couple of cleared acres were 2 tiny houses. Two guys were working in a large garden. It was dead quiet up there , overlooking the valley far below - one of the most peaceful things I have ever seen. I wanted to go back and talk to those guys, but could never find that place again.
The point is , I think the smaller the number of people involved, the better. People who you know you're compatible with. But , like anything else , you do it and if for some reason it didn't work out , what the hell. You are young enough to do a million more things in your life - some will work, some won't (for me it's usually been the latter - but I'm still alive). My definition of success is not the longevity of the project , it's that you did it at all.

Great post Ian! Sometimes it seems to me online forums can get so full of cautions and scoldings they can develop into a litany of reasons not to try anything.

AltTransBikes said:
Great post Ian! Sometimes it seems to me online forums can get so full of cautions and scoldings they can develop into a litany of reasons not to try anything.

How dare those young whippersnappers think they can be jaded and disillusioned before their time? I got my jaded the old fashioned way - I EARNED  it - dammit!

The world is full of landmines. Sometimes the old guys would rather not see a youngin step on one. Call it scolding if you like. So would it be better if you got your butt in a jam and then said, well nobody told me?

I might start selling 14 day time shares on blm land near me. I bet people would buy them.

people sell illegal mining claims all the time, EBAY is full of them. "A sucker is born every minute" highdesertranger

AltTransBikes said:

If the group is large enough, there's usually at least someone with common or overlapping experience that can relate it in some way.  Well-considered advice is received in kind, in my experience.  It might come in the form of a strained tangent, or bundled with a hint of caution or a sprinkle of encouragement - but it's that relevant, tangible information that stands out.

I'm glad to see we've got so many contributors interested in sharing their firsthand experience and knowledge about forming communities and businesses!

AngryVanMan said:
If the group is large enough, there's usually at least someone with common or overlapping experience that can relate it in some way.  Well-considered advice is received in kind, in my experience.  It might come in the form of a strained tangent, or bundled with a hint of caution or a sprinkle of encouragement - but it's that relevant, tangible information that stands out.

I'm glad to see we've got so many contributors interested in sharing their firsthand experience and knowledge about forming communities and businesses!

Well stated AVM, with the aplomb of the diplomat. 'hint of caution or a sprinkle of encouragement' indeed, may it be so, after all we're responding to strangers online and not our children. My take is the OP is sufficiently savvy to know what he wants and what he might be getting into.

Speaking of which, my own son, mid millennial that he be, is a resident in a housing coop that comprises 13 separate properties with about 30 units housing 50 or more people. It is a mature enterprise dating back several decades, is thriving and offers value with 25% off current local market rates. These kind of things exist and can happen anew with the right people and perhaps akin to the organizational structure Ghost is looking for.

I've always tried to follow the advice of those older than me my entire adult life. There is no substitute in life for actual experience and all the money and schooling in the world can't outpace real world experience. So far it's worked out pretty good for me. I've of course made mistakes on the way and anyone who hasn't is either lying or has never taken a chance (which in reality was probably a mistake)

I think this thread has produced some fantastic advice on all the potential downfalls of a group owned piece of land and very little info on why it would be successful. There are of course successful co ops but I think the number that's tried and failed far exceed the number that have tried and succeeded.

My one other thought on why this idea wouldn't be so good is the price of land. To get a good location, with good weather, good access, ability to get water/sewer/ is going to cost a small fortune. Most cheap land that even makes this idea a possibility is it's biggest drawback. No one is going to want to use it 8-10 months out of the year because it's going to be way to hot or way to cold.

When someone starts a thread I try to discern when it's about them and not me. I hate to see aspirations get dashed. The OP didn't ask if his idea was a good one, he already thought it was. He was looking to see if anyone was interested in joining him. I think the thing to do is speak up if the answer to that question is yes or maybe and the polite thing probably just ignore the question if the answer is no. Otherwise the conversation runs the risk of becoming an opinion fest and the need to be right.

As far as perceiving the success  in cooperative aspects of living, look to food coops, housing coops, farming coops, bike coops and, of course, on topic. related to RVs is the example of the Escapees and 11 SKP Coop parks across the country and their several thousand members. Perhaps it depends on the circles one travels in but there is a burgeoning movement quietly underway, mostly but not exclusively with younger people, and it's happening everywhere. My take is it's being done out of a feeling of necessity, a practical way to make ends meet and I doubt most coop practitioners are naive to the pitfalls or shortcomings of the human condition. Necessity means it has to work.

Frankly I think a forum is diminished if it can't keep an open mind.

AltTransBikes said:
When someone starts a thread I try to discern when it's about them and not me. I hate to see aspirations get dashed. The OP didn't ask if his idea was a good one, he already thought it was. He was looking to see if anyone was interested in joining him. I think the thing to do is speak up if the answer to that question is yes or maybe and the polite thing probably just ignore the question if the answer is no. Otherwise the conversation runs the risk of becoming an opinion fest and the need to be right.

In a perfect world I'd like to agree, but where does one draw the line?  I'll even use myself as an example.......I thought converting a Van to 4x4 was a perfect idea and I got both sides of the argument and was very thankful for it.  

Or when someone wants to use spray foam insulation and already thinks it's a great idea.  No one that knows better should caution against it and just move on and everyone else can encourage him/her to go ahead with it?  

I've always thought constructive criticism was a good thing.  Always easier to make an educated decision hearing both sides of an argument.

Every Road Leads Home said:
where does one draw the line?  

Perhaps it's as simple as: if the person solicits help, opinions or asks if something is a good idea.

ghost said:
Hi Jeri!  I want to live in Oregon.  I met a gal one this forum that will hopefully join me  :shy:

I really like you idea of a stealth type set-up where no one would take a second look.  That's awesome!  

As far as utilities, in Oregon there is plenty of rain to catch where I want to live but solar would be an issue for about 4-5 months out of the year.  Wind power may work however in the months where sun is limited.  Do you know of any other ways to get off grid power other than solar or a wind turbine?

Composting toilet and solar shower could take care of the rest.

Thanks for your input Jeri!

Peace,

Matt

Hi Matt,
I lived in Portland for 20 years.  The only place I would consider living in Oregon would be the Ashland area or perhaps Bend but it is getting quite expensive now. Too much rain up north.  I love Oregon and there is no sales tax which is a plus.  It is truly a special place on this planet.  Might be worth your while to check out the annual rainfall in varous parts of states.  I have heard there is an artist community in Joseph.  Certainly a lot more sun over there.  In the 20 years I lived in Portland I made dozens of visits to the coast and never saw sun once.  

Finally, I could not take the rain anymore so I moved to ca.  I am looking for retirement in Nevada, CA or AZ but am leaning toward Nevada as a domicile.  Oregon and Nevada have the lowest cell phone taxes at 1.8 percent.  Some cities back east pay 25 percent.  Personally, I do not want to live without the Internet and figure that I use about 50 GB of data at home at the very least.  Using a cell phone for the Internet is quite costly.  My SS is going to be so low that I will have to watch every penny.  So as Bob says it is important to choose the best state for residency. 

In regards to having a group space, a land lease might be an option to consider. I am going to be 65 this year and I am not ready to jump into the wild.  As I mentioned earlier, a bathroom and electricity is really important in my book.  I view solar or wind as a backup.  By the way there is some cheap land in Cal near the OR border.  And another place that is really beautiful is Lassen Park.  I have always thought one of the roads out of Redding or Red Bluff would be ideal.  I have had a trailer 40 miles up a mountain off I5 for last decade and want to get out of mountain driving.
Looking forward to hearing more on this thread.

Jeri

AltTransBikes said:
Perhaps it's as simple as: if the person solicits help, opinions or asks if something is a good idea.

ooppps, gave you a thanks by mistake. lol . They asked if anyone was interested, and people responded with why they were not. Unless you want to be in charge of what others say, it is just best to accept their statements and not criticize them for it. Maybe you only want to hear what you want to hear. 

Ask me if I want to buy an elephant, and I am likely to tell you why not.

DannyB1954 said:

Hard to justify having an elephant while living in a van.   :p

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.  This thought was on my mind, and now with this discussion I can see I have to win the lottery to make it work ~~~ ON MY TERMS.  I would need to have a major attitude adjustment to fit into communal living. 

Big ideas need big money, or big determination.

DannyB1954 said:
ooppps, gave you a thanks by mistake. lol . They asked if anyone was interested, and people responded with why they were not. Unless you want to be in charge of what others say, it is just best to accept their statements and not criticize them for it. Maybe you only want to hear what you want to hear. 

You can remove an accidental "thanks" by clicking the red Thank You button.  As for the rest, I am quite happy to evaluate opinions based on their merit.  Separating wheat from chaff is an integral part of critical evaluation, and each post gives us something to reflect upon; whether it be the pertinence of the content or the character of the contributor. It all adds interest, personally!

doing this is not much different then what we already have only instead of having someone you didn't bother to vote for, hash out the bylaws then complain about them, you have to figure it out. I don't have kids and pay school taxes, you can' t count every corn flake when sharing food costs. I find today most people are very quick to poopoo a different or new idea rather then have some fun and run with it, The personality and legal pitfalls are a given and brought about by the same personalities that caution us on everything, hence the reason we become nanny states. I agree with ATB that we should be looking for the benefits and ways around the usual roadblocks rather then repeating the same old reason for not doing it.

ghost said:
Hey all!  

I was wondering if any of you ever considered getting together - say 20-30 people - from this forum and purchasing a nice 5-10 acre parcel of land somewhere out west and all chipping in on it?  We could all park our RV's etc. on the land.  We would all have different skills and help each other in different ways.  One person could buy a sweet solar set up, another few could chip in and have a well dug.  Just a passing thought.  The best part is we would have a little community (family) off grid on our own private land to call home base.  

Peace,

Matt

Nice Idea, NoThanks. Good luck...

Now onto other things....

flying kurbmaster said:
I find today most people are very quick to poopoo a different or new idea rather then have some fun and run with it, The personality and legal pitfalls are a given and brought about by the same personalities that caution us on everything, hence the reason we become nanny states.

Insightful words to the receptive ear fkm. Time to seek higher ground.

Wanderer said:
Nice Idea, NoThanks. Good luck...

Now onto other things....

Nice idea - -  then right away "no thanks", with no explanation?  How was this constructive?

JeriLynn said:
Hi Matt,
I lived in Portland for 20 years.  The only place I would consider living in Oregon would be the Ashland area or perhaps Bend but it is getting quite expensive now. Too much rain up north.  I love Oregon and there is no sales tax which is a plus.  It is truly a special place on this planet.  Might be worth your while to check out the annual rainfall in varous parts of states.  I have heard there is an artist community in Joseph.  Certainly a lot more sun over there.  In the 20 years I lived in Portland I made dozens of visits to the coast and never saw sun once.  

Finally, I could not take the rain anymore so I moved to ca.  I am looking for retirement in Nevada, CA or AZ but am leaning toward Nevada as a domicile.  Oregon and Nevada have the lowest cell phone taxes at 1.8 percent.  Some cities back east pay 25 percent.  Personally, I do not want to live without the Internet and figure that I use about 50 GB of data at home at the very least.  Using a cell phone for the Internet is quite costly.  My SS is going to be so low that I will have to watch every penny.  So as Bob says it is important to choose the best state for residency. 

In regards to having a group space, a land lease might be an option to consider. I am going to be 65 this year and I am not ready to jump into the wild.  As I mentioned earlier, a bathroom and electricity is really important in my book.  I view solar or wind as a backup.  By the way there is some cheap land in Cal near the OR border.  And another place that is really beautiful is Lassen Park.  I have always thought one of the roads out of Redding or Red Bluff would be ideal.  I have had a trailer 40 miles up a mountain off I5 for last decade and want to get out of mountain driving.
Looking forward to hearing more on this thread.

Jeri

Hey Jeri - Thanks for the post!  I shouldn't even be making the Oregon move public on here : )  Too much info on the secret paradise I love putting out there ; )