Group purchase of land for RV community

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ghost said:
You're the man

Quick 5 minute search turns up a couple more, one in OR and another in Norcal, both under your original projection per.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19577804/557-9th-St-Port-Orford-OR/

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19768971/14130-Tuli-Ln-Clearlake-CA/

With a real boots on the ground look around who knows what might turn up, talking with owners and such. One thing I notice is that many CGs for sale include the caveat 'owner financing available' which might indicate a degree of flexibility in terms.

I do think it's a very doable idea.

I'm gonna chime in on this but isn't this kind of what many of us are moving away from? Where is the freedom to come and go? To see new horizons? The freedom to do what "I" want today and not what "we" have to do today? I'm an introvert that needs my alone time and plenty of it. I love to gather with people and break bread and laugh and cry and share but man I don't want to have to live long term with any of you all nor have responsibilities for being a cog in the community wheel. Before long there would be rules and laws and then people to enforce the rules and laws and there goes personal freedom. No offense! <3

the is some dirt cheap land central,se oregon because thats what it is,frozen in the winter,100 in the summer dirt and getting water can be a major problem,a well can cost more then the land

the oregon you see on t.v. is from the cascades west,the rest think more nevada

actually Port Orford is right on the coast. funny thing about Port Orford is the is no actual docks. the boats are raised and lowered from the ocean with a crane. it's really quite unique. highdesertranger

Gigi said:
I'm gonna chime in on this but isn't this kind of what many of us are moving away from?  Where is the freedom to come and go? To see new horizons? The freedom to do what "I" want today and not what "we" have to do today?  I'm an introvert that needs my alone time and plenty of it.  I love to gather with people and break bread and laugh and cry and share but man I don't want to have to live long term with any of you all nor have responsibilities for being a cog in the community wheel. Before long there would be rules and laws and then people to enforce the rules and laws and there goes personal freedom.  No offense!  <3

Hi Gigi.  I'm an introvert myself.  I was just tossing an idea out there because as people get older and the economy gets tougher it's best to have a community of people around you.  This type of living would be more of a home base where you can still travel everywhere you want but if something comes up you will have a community to call home and make it back to,  Just a thought.  Also,  you never know what the powers that be are going to do with our State Forest/ BLM land.   Private land would be harder to just "shut down".  Thanks for your input.  Godspeed.  :)

Matt

AltTransBikes said:
Quick 5 minute search turns up a couple more, one in OR and another in Norcal, both under your original projection per.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19577804/557-9th-St-Port-Orford-OR/

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19768971/14130-Tuli-Ln-Clearlake-CA/

With a real boots on the ground look around who knows what might turn up, talking with owners and such. One thing I notice is that many CGs for sale include the caveat 'owner financing available' which might indicate a degree of flexibility in terms.

I do think it's a very doable idea.

What owner financing tells me is that there are no banks that will touch the property. When I lived in California, Lake county was where the State of California would dump all their sexual predators on parole. The lake is usually full of algae in the summer. High temps are not uncommon. There also is active volcanic activity just south of there, (even into part of the lake). 
Before I retired From the San Francisco Bay area, I looked into retiring there. lots of drug users there.

Gigi said:
Before long there would be rules and laws and then people to enforce the rules and laws and there goes personal freedom.  No offense!  <3

Even when every rule is voted on, the minority vote is always living under rules they disagree with. That's how democracy is - 51% of the people imposing their will on the other 49% who simmer in resentment until it's their turn, once again to impose THEIR will. Sorry to veer into the political but that's what groups of people living together always become.

DannyB1954 said:
What owner financing tells me is that there are no banks that will touch the property. When I lived in California, Lake county was where the State of California would dump all their sexual predators on parole. The lake is usually full of algae in the summer. High temps are not uncommon. There also is active volcanic activity just south of there, (even into part of the lake). 
Before I retired From the San Francisco Bay area, I looked into retiring there.  lots of drug users there.

Banks today are much more cautious financing any property but I agree a seasonal campground might be a risk they're reticent to take on. The CG owners know this of course, which is why they're open to self-financing, something I've seen across the country regardless of geographical location. As I said, it might actually be a bargaining chip with someone who wants out. The OP was originally talking about pooling resources up front so ideally minimum financing would be needed.

I know the Clear Lake area and there are some seedy parts but also some very beautiful areas close by. Low life druggies are everywhere, the low desert of AZ is full of them all the way to the slabs and beyond. No place is perfect especially trying to get in on a limited budget.

The real estate links I posted upthread were the product of about a 10 minute online search, just a quick take on what might be out there in the investment level the OP mentioned and not meant to illustrate some well vetted properties and due diligence performed. As I said, nothing beats boots on the ground, knocking on doors, meeting folks face to face.

All said however, I guess you just don't like his idea, which is fine, you've expressed your objections several times. That doesn't mean it might not be a good idea for people who think it is one. I like the spirit in which the OP expressed his motives. IMO, community is something in scare supply in everyday real life so the idea of intentionally creating community, face to face type community, could serve as shelter against the isolation increasingly shadowing peoples lives as well as the storm clouds I see gathering on the not distant horizon.

DannyB1954 said:
Before I retired From the San Francisco Bay area, I looked into retiring there.  lots of drug users there.

Lake County is a beautiful place to live.  Clean air and open farms.  The wine industry is driving the prices up quickly.  There are a lot of high end communities.

Attachments

• jp photos 245.jpg
    jp photos 245.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • jp photos 244.jpg
    jp photos 244.jpg
    1.4 MB
Such a venture will cater to a specific portion of members here, namely those who have money to spare and to whom cheap RV living is not all that important. In other words, it will be much like any other RV trailer park, only owned by its guests. These guests would obviously spend a good portion of their year anchored down in this location, but why? Does the location have spectacular scenery, great work opportunities, perfect weather? My guess is that most of these good locations for RV parks are already taken, and if not their price is likely outside the range of even these affluent members.

If there is a sudden economic downturn, I have connections to hundreds of organic farms across the United States, many self-sufficient to a degree, that would be great places to hunker down. These farmers are deeply anchored to their farms and orchards and have spent their whole lives perfecting their properties. By contrast, a seasonal community of RV nomads with a bare minimum of infrastructure would never survive an economic downturn. Living out in the arid scrublands of the American West as many of us do requires a continuous supply of food, gas, RV parts, etc. from outside.

Seller financed is the most common way to buy an RV or Mobile Home park from an individual or small business owner. It's the most common way to sell a cash flowing small business in general. They expect the cap rate to pay the loan - they continue to siphon returns via interest while eliminating the hands on work for themselves. If you falter, they repossess and sell again.

If you want to venture into entrepreneurship of any kind, the first hurdle you'll always overcome is Crabs in a Bucket syndrome. Once you're past that, you can start crunching the numbers. I'll say if you don't have a head for business or any accounting experience, you might want to take some classes first, or find a mentor.

while I like the spirit of this thread and believe it to be a great idea, I also feel like it's doomed to failure. I could be wrong but I think that pulling this off is like herding cats(no offense to those with cats). trying to make everybody happy will end up making no one happy. others have said "this is against what we are about" I tend to agree. after all we are nomads and by nature nomads don't stay in one place. highdesertranger

I agree with HDR. It would essentially have to be set up as a business, whether for or non profit and most new businesses fail. Add on top this "business" only takes money doesn't make any money and you are already at strike 2. Then as previously discussed, you have gov't regulations to hurdle and keeping everyone happy and you quickly see strike 3.

And honestly I love the ideas of these places and wish they could exist. But out of the 320 million people living in this country, very very very few live in situations like these and that alone tells me it's because it's much easier said than done.

No matter what, the sheer amount of interest this topic has spurred in only a day or so is quite telling. If I was doing market research, these comments and preconceptions would certainly be a good weather vane!

AngryVanMan said:
No matter what, the sheer amount of interest this topic has spurred in only a day or so is quite telling.  If I was doing market research, these comments and preconceptions would certainly be a good weather vane!

Wait until the part comes that requires people to put up actual cash and you will see that weather vane spin the other way real fast.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Wait until the part comes that requires people to put up actual cash and you will see that weather vane spin the other way real fast.

Oh man, I almost spit out my drink!  Trying to get the investment capital rounded up here is probably one of the hardest sells I could imagine!  I wonder what the average risk tolerance of the group is?

AltTransBikes said:
All said however, I guess you just don't like his idea, which is fine, you've expressed your objections several times. That doesn't mean it might not be a good idea for people who think it is one. I like the spirit in which the OP expressed his motives. IMO, community is something in scare supply in everyday real life so the idea of intentionally creating community, face to face type community, could serve as shelter against the isolation increasingly shadowing peoples lives as well as the storm clouds I see gathering on the not distant horizon.

You have expressed your opinion several times as well. Does that make it a good idea? Yes it would be utopia if we all got together and lived happily ever after. I am in favor of the world being at peace as well. Probably not gonna happen. Take a poll in a thread. How many would be willing to purchase property in a vandweller community and be stuck with some of the people that you have come across in your travels.   I would bet not that many. Even the best of friends here want time away from each other. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. 

With people owning the property it could go two ways. No rules or regulations, Or with rules and regulations. If no rules, how do you deal with neighbors making a mess, noise, bad behavior?  If with rules, who administers the rules? how do you deal with those breaking the rules? What if someone comes up with a new rule that you don't like? What if local government decides they don't like the idea. It is a big gamble buying into this deal. It will either be chaos, or a HOA with way too much power for most people's liking.

I should add here in Pahrump Nv, you can get a permit to live on your land in an RV for 6 months. Then you have to leave for 6 months. You can also build a structure of 200 sq' without a permit. getting water and sewer may be a problem. Under an acre, you can't have a well or septic. The utilities do not provide those services in most areas.

i like the home base idea just not with other people,there are plenty of o.k. places in the u.s. where you can get an good sized lot for 10k or under

AngryVanMan said:
Oh man, I almost spit out my drink!  Trying to get the investment capital rounded up here is probably one of the hardest sells I could imagine!  I wonder what the average risk tolerance of the group is?

Heh right, as good intentioned as the Op might be, he's probably fishing in the wrong end of the lake.