Good morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to know why the campgrounds are getting rifle fire. Could it be hunters? Drug dealers? What?

I don't cook inside or outside of my van. I don't see much need for it. I may do some small scale cooking later on after I get used to living in my van for a while. Maybe, like warming up veggies or heating water for tea. My needs are minimal. I've been dieting. I bought a Hot Logic Mini (12v) to warm up Lean Cuisine frozen dinners... but I haven't used it yet.

I recently bought a dresser that I'd like to transform into a kitchen area... but that's so far down the line I haven't done anything to it yet. Mainly my time right now is consumed with emptying my apartment.

Good morning. Making good progress there TA.

I grill outside. They say the char can cause cancer, IDK. I've been eating char most of my 70 years and like it. Anymore, I think everything causes cancer.

I've heard gunfire before but never had anyone firing on my camp. Anyone hurt?

travelaround said:
I'd like to know why the campgrounds are getting rifle fire. 

Law enforcement was called. I was out checking in campers when the bullets started whizzing overhead. Over a hundred people in camp, and one eye witness to the shooter. I hope they catch the person.      ~crofter

wow that is just so scary you get some ahole with a gun :( but luckily no one was hurt but geez, this is the kinda crap you want no part of :)

TA, what are you doing? just eating out at restaurants right now? oh are ya still in the apt. enough for cooking? just wondering

B and C, I agree, everything is gonna nail us at some time in life, we all gamble as we want :)

good morn
up at 4:30 am. early riser here since I am a farmer gal :)
I doubt I will ever break that cycle. I try try try to sleep in but once my eyes open, up I go :)

Hike with hubby today. Only 4.1 miles. Should go fast. Still in the low 90s so no monster hikes just yet, I want cooler weather for hiking up the side of a mountain.

other than that, not much, few chores and taking life as easy as I can today

Hi Everyone...

You will not believe this, but it is true . . . I was just this morning taking more things downstairs to the computer room to put on the shelf for other people to take.. that's how it happens to give things away in this apartment building.. and the elevator door opened and there stood the lady who was given the HOWA van! She was here to get some things she left with another apartment dweller. Of course I knew her from before she left this town... I'm not the one who told her about the van - she was watching Bob's videos on her own. I knew her from when she was hosting crafting events here last year... I think it was. So I got to see the HOWA van and she looked at mine. We are going in different directions right now but I hope to see her again on down the road.

Anyhow, food (Roamer asked) - I'm not eating out much... trying to conserve on expenditures. I bought some Lean Cuisine frozen dinners and eat one each day. Breakfast and lunch are snacks from Nutrisystem. The only thing I buy daily is an Americano from a coffee kiosk downtown... I get that each morning to have with my Nutrisystem chocolate muffin that I can get in the pharmacy section of Walmart. I very rarely feel inspired to cook anything. If I get hungry I'll warm up a bag of frozen vegetables and that helps a lot.

Lately instead of going to Walmart or Cabelas I've been sleeping in the parking lot of my apartment building. It is nice, flat, and quiet. At this point I don't even care if people see me there and complain because what are they going to do - evict me? My rent is paid up and I gave notice to be out on the 20th. I no longer have a bed in the apartment.

I thought you weren't going to believe me so when she got back from visiting her friend, I took pictures.

20190906_181250.jpg

jolynn.jpg

I didn't know she had applied for the van until I saw the livestream video last week...!!!

Attachments

• 20190906_181250.jpg
    20190906_181250.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • jolynn.jpg
    jolynn.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
travelaround said:
Hi Everyone...

You will not believe this, but it is true . . . I was just this morning taking more things downstairs to the computer room to put on the shelf for other people to take.. that's how it happens to give things away in this apartment building.. and the elevator door opened and there stood the lady who was given the HOWA van! She was here to get some things she left with another apartment dweller. Of course I knew her from before she left this town... I'm not the one who told her about the van - she was watching Bob's videos on her own. I knew her from when she was hosting crafting events here last year... I think it was. So I got to see the HOWA van and she looked at mine. We are going in different directions right now but I hope to see her again on down the road.

Anyhow, food (Roamer asked) - I'm not eating out much... trying to conserve on expenditures. I bought some Lean Cuisine frozen dinners and eat one each day. Breakfast and lunch are snacks from Nutrisystem. The only thing I buy daily is an Americano from a coffee kiosk downtown... I get that each morning to have with my Nutrisystem chocolate muffin that I can get in the pharmacy section of Walmart. I very rarely feel inspired to cook anything. If I get hungry I'll warm up a bag of frozen vegetables and that helps a lot.

Lately instead of going to Walmart or Cabelas I've been sleeping in the parking lot of my apartment building. It is nice, flat, and quiet. At this point I don't even care if people see me there and complain because what are they going to do - evict me? My rent is paid up and I gave notice to be out on the 20th. I no longer have a bed in the apartment.
Well if you see her in your camping travels be sure to invite her over for a meal. You know for sure she will be appreciating a home cooked meal.

Hmmm... she probably cooks better than I do. It looks like she's set up for anything. And I'm trying to avoid meals... kind of hard when so many of my friends here want to eat out with me before I leave town.

travelaround said:
I'd like to know why the campgrounds are getting rifle fire. Could it be hunters? Drug dealers? What?

I don't cook inside or outside of my van. I don't see much need for it. I may do some small scale cooking later on after I get used to living in my van for a while. Maybe, like warming up veggies or heating water for tea. My needs are minimal. I've been dieting. I bought a Hot Logic Mini (12v) to warm up Lean Cuisine frozen dinners... but I haven't used it yet.

I recently bought a dresser that I'd like to transform into a kitchen area... but that's so far down the line I haven't done anything to it yet. Mainly my time right now is consumed with emptying my apartment.
Wabbit huntin.. all dat tequila they been guzzling turns them into wabbit killers. They are pretty bad shots by that point so it takes a lot of ammunition to get one.

TA cool pics :) HOWA van winner in your apartment....small world for sure :)

I so hear ya on not wanting to cook any more. That is why my meals are meat and 1 side...only 1 side for hubby cause he wants it, lol, if he didn't I wouldn't even be cooking that. I was never a kitchen gal. I could live off the grill and the microwave and be done with it.

Ahhh, ya know once you are out of town you have your own schedule to follow with those obligations and goodbye meals eaten out and all :) coming soon at ya!

Good morning
I had the hike from hell. It was way more up hill into the mountain etc. Sun was the killer. No good breeze on trail. Open trails thru meadows then into some forest and into the open sun again. Near 90 on this hike and I fizzled on it. Got 'er done but the heat was brutal for me for some reason on this hike, took me down :) So I know to be sure we do easier hikes til the weather breaks and cools, then I will go climb any mountain. Such a short hike almost took this old gal down....I love heat but not hiking in it :)

easy day
this and that
nothing major

More lawn mowing and cutting down another tree for the man's fireplace. This is my own physical therapy for my heart that is falling apart but I am going to keep pushing forward .

Good morning all! That reminds me Dean I need to mow as well. It will be the last mow of the season.

Overcast and cool this morning. Couple of van dwellers I met on the road are coming to my place for a stay. They were touring the PNW this summer. Hmm, have to make room for their rigs.

Hello . . . well, onward toward another day, right? My home looks like someone opened all the closets and put all the junk right in the living areas. Oh yeah... so that's what happened! Looks like I'm a hoarder but check out how clean and empty my closets are!! And that big mountain of boxes? They're mostly empty, waiting for something to be put in them, to be taken away.

Yesterday I emptied out the storage shed that's just off to the side of my balcony outside. Surely that was the worst junk ever but now, it is all in my living room and kitchen except what I've already thrown away or taken downstairs. More of that is in my future. I took two big bags of trash to the dumpster already this morning. Last night I put a picture that hung in my grandmother's home in the computer room downstairs and already someone else has carted it and a lot of my other stuff away. It is so hard to let go of some things. But I must.

Roamer - about your hike!! That sounds like you might have been getting heat exhaustion. Don't know for sure if that is the problem . . . but I never had it until 6 years ago while I was moving out of my house in Happy Camp in the extreme heat. Since then I've had it at least three times - while out walking or bicycle riding in the heat. Very dangerous and potentially fatal. Be careful. I heard once you get it you're more likely to get it again.

What I've done . . . I bought a CamelBak hydration backpack to carry water ... keeping lots of cold water with you is essential... a bottle isn't enough. Also realized my hypertension medication could be contributing to the problem because it contains a diuretic, HCTC... but I can't back off from that yet. I have to be very careful about hiking in the heat.

TA yea you absolutely must let things go. If something is super special just take a pic of it. Every now and then you can sit back and relax with some coffee and swipe thru some pics of crap ya owned but enjoyed :)
You are doing well, getting thru it.

Wow on the heat exhaustion stuff. And you had this 3 times and once you kinda have it you might likely get it more often than before.....very interesting. I have to say I was heading into a very weird zone...never been there. I am a high heat, full sun lover and have been forever, so this hike was surprising to me that I felt so rough even on a short trip. I think the no air moving was just so stagnant it was like the heat was ALL around me....like a blanket around me, tight to the body. Maybe that set me off. Like at the beach, sitting in the full sun, big breeze happening I never get hot, even in the 99 deg weather, the breeze keeps me alive, but this hike, wow.....I will heed your warning for sure
THANKS

good morning guys
easy day here
90 today, 94 tomorrow....heat is oppressive here
doing nothing much, taking life easy today, keeping it super simple
one can say boring mostly :)

Roamer, our ability to handle temperature extremes changes as we age. Yet another fun thing our body does to us.

I had a severe heat stroke in the fire academy, once you’ve had a true heat stroke (not just heat exhaustion) it messes with your hypothalamus and can mean permanent difficulty adjusting to temperature changes. For example, in 95 degree weather I get cool clammy skin, it’s very weird.

Good morning all! The coffee is tasty and it is raining. Installed my diesel heater yesterday, just beat out the rain. Today I am going to get diesel and leak / operation check the heater system.

Good morning, all . . .

Yes, that heat exhaustion / heat stroke is just terrible for a lot of us older people. I was 60, almost 61 when I first got it. I'm sure I nearly died a couple of times. Maybe I'll write an article about it someday.

Recently a hiker died from this in Southern California and three or four others in his group had heat exhaustion - they ran out of water.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-02/hiker-dead-heat-malibu-hills

Anyhow - on to a happier topic?

Yesterday for the first time I had that strange sensation of finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, regarding my extreme downsizing project. My apartment is still filled with junk but I managed to give away a lot of things. Cupboards are empty. All closets cleaned out.

I put empty boxes back into the balcony storage closet to get them out of the way. When I'm done with them I'll tear them all down and put them in the dumpster downstairs. Anyhow, progress is happening.

Today is church - the last time I'll be going to this church for about a year, most likely ... might get back here next summer, I don't know for sure. Next week church will be at the park for baptisms, not in the church building.

TA Kudos to you and your progress! I am still taking my Sweet A** time. Got rid of some stuff. The big push is next spring.