Good morning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a great arts community. I would have been attracted to a place like that when I was younger. Now I just like peace and quiet. The art I need is already in me.

It sounds like the residents there won't have a problem with the "autonomous zone" designation. How about the business owners? Have any of them had to close up because of this?

What about this street preacher being assaulted in the autonomous zone?

Your mayor said: "The Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone #CHAZ is not a lawless wasteland of anarchist insurrection - it is a peaceful expression of our community's collective grief..."

The videos tell a different story. The preacher was assaulted for 11 minutes while people just stood there and got video of the attack. Finally one man intervened to remind people they are not the police.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...xually-assault-street-preacher-seattle-video/

travelaround said:
........ How about the business owners? Have any of them had to close up because of this?
Seattle is still in phase 1 stay at home shut down. Although this week a few retail stores and salons have been allowed to open with severely restricted numbers of customers.But basically the only businesses open in that area are take out food, grocery, hardware or pharmacies. I did read that some of the coffee shops were setting out tables with free coffee for the protestors. 

I went to the post office in my neighborhood today to ship an order. When I was inside I heard some protest chanting, I thought perhaps it was on the radio in the back room as I was using the drop box that goes into that room. But when I walked out the front door the protest was right there live, in person, passing by on the sidewalk  in front of the post office.  It was "gang" of 3 elementary school aged, caucasian, children going by on their roller blades, holding protest signs and loudly chanting the "Black Lives Matter" slogans. They were even dressed in helmets and protective gear. The President is going to have to bring in armed soldiers to get these dangerous protestors off the streets to get this city under control.

I don't think an attack on the protesters is a good idea. This isn't the Civil War. I believe that eventually they'll want to go somewhere else. Meanwhile, I also saw your Chief of Police saying there were crimes including rapes that policemen couldn't get to, to help, or couldn't get to in a timely manner because of this autonomous zone. That's a serious problem. If the mayor wants to hand over that section of the city to lawlessness the people who live there could be at a disadvantage if there's an emergency situation in their personal lives.

travelaround said:
What about this street preacher being assaulted in the autonomous zone?

Your mayor said: "The Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone #CHAZ is not a lawless wasteland of anarchist insurrection - it is a peaceful expression of our community's collective grief..."

The videos tell a different story. The preacher was assaulted for 11 minutes while people just stood there and got video of the attack. Finally one man intervened to remind people they are not the police.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...xually-assault-street-preacher-seattle-video/
I don't like they way any one them are handling themselves in that video including the individual who is being called a "preacher". For all we know he might have been verbally assaulting the protestors.

I can tell you that the Seattle polices response times to situations is incredibly slow. I know this from personal experience. I had a sociopath in the building that the property manager hired to be an site assistant. There was no background check run on him. He was verbally assaulting all the women in the building, he was breaking in and stealing from people. He was bullying any man in the building who was shorter than he was. He was right above my unit and told people he was going to fire a gun through the floor and kill me. One night when he was drunk and he was outside my glass entry door, yelling, banging on the door, screaming and threatening me. I was on the phone with 911 and they could hear it. The Seattle police did not show up for more than 25 minutes. They decided they had to gather together 4 police cars before they responded so that they would not get hurt.

They are just looking for excuses for their poor response time. They would not have showed up quickly for a rape situation. They don't show up quickly for shots fired, they wait until they can come in with a bunch of squad cars.
You don't ever want to be in a situation in Seattle where you need a fast response if someone is attacking you because you won't get a fast response. I am sure it is much the same in most cities.

Where I’m so remote response times can be hours. “Local law enforcement” responded to two drunks threatening each other with pistols by showing up after an hour and a half with an extra bulletproof vest. A maintenance man had already disarmed them and they were sleeping it off on the picnic table when he got here! LOL!!!

@bullfrog . We get slow response times here too. Our only local deputy has been injured many months. Others are sent from Yreka.. 2 hours away.

@Maki.. I just hope for a peaceful outcome, especially for you. You're the only person I currently know in Seattle.

Happy Sunday everyone.

@travelaround:

I am attaching a satellite image (click on it to enlarge) so you can better understand the physical distance from my build space and the protest. It is miles away from me, it would take me close to half an hour to get there because of how the roads are laid out. I am not in even a teeny tiny bit of danger from those protestors.  

seattle aerial.JPG

Attachments

• seattle aerial.JPG
    seattle aerial.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for the map, Maki.. Seattle is a huge city. I was there in about 1995 for a few days. I remember visiting the Museum of History and Industry, and seeing the troll under the bridge... we stayed there for an hour or two visiting a Seattle friend. Also visited a park next to the water but cannot remember the name of it. Haven't been back since. My son drove a semi for a few years and often had to go to Seattle and didn't like that because of the traffic slowing him down. Getting paid by the mile, that was a problem.

I was visiting there when a guy with a Samurai sword was keeping the whole downtown area locked down while police tried to throw a net over hm but he kept cutting his way out with the razor sharp sword. They finally used an extension ladder to trap his arms and get him under control. I remember thinking if I had been back in Kentucky police there would have been threatened and probably shot him to get him under control. Seems strange with the way things are now to think that was even possible.

Good morning, Frog. I note it was 11 PM there when you made yer post. Time to hit the sack now, but first having a liitte breakfast and coffee.

travelaround said:
Thanks for the map, Maki.. Seattle is a huge city. I was there in about 1995 for a few days. I remember visiting the Museum of History and Industry, and seeing the troll under the bridge... we stayed there for an hour or two visiting a Seattle friend. Also visited a park next to the water but cannot remember the name of it. Haven't been back since. My son drove a semi for a few years and often had to go to Seattle and didn't like that because of the traffic slowing him down. Getting paid by the mile, that was a problem.
There are a whole lot of parks next to the water in Seattle and the MOHAI museum you visited has now moved into a waterfront location at the old Naval Reserve Armory at the south end of Lake Union. You can see a little green tree flag marker on the map saying South Lake Union Park, that is where the museum is now located.

Good morning... oh well, missed it again. Happy Day anyway.

I have no idea what I'm doing today. Goals are reading, exercise, video making, home renovation, gardening, and accounting. Maybe something will get done.

Good morning, it's not raining!!!

I had ordered a set of suction cup clamps so I could quickly hang a tarp along the side of my fiberglass travel trailer and get some outdoor task done. I got the notice they had been delivered to my neighborhood Amazon locker. Punched in the code number they sent, the locker door opened and it was empty. The phone number on the locker I called said due to Covid 19 they could not help anyone on that number and to do it over the internet. So back home I went. They gave me a refund so I have now reordered that item.

On a local Seattle note, the 6 block area that protestors had designated as " capital hill autonomous zone" CHAZ has now been renamed "Capital Hill Occupied Protest" CHOP because they are no longer being autonomous. They asked the police to come into the area and help with the crime that is going on inside the zone. So barriers have been now been rearranged to allow for emergency service access and to make it possible for local residents inside that area to drive their cars in and out.

I'm not too surprised that they've decided the police are a good idea after all. I've received a few refunds from Amazon recently. They're really good about that. Also product returns have worked out flawlessly. I returned the Aluminet (for shading my van) I bought for 99 dollars and reordered a larger one for 25 dollars less. No problem. I didn't like being ripped off.

travelaround said:
I'm not too surprised that they've decided the police are a good idea after all. I've received a few refunds from Amazon recently. They're really good about that. Also product returns have worked out flawlessly. I returned the Aluminet (for shading my van) I bought for 99 dollars and reordered a larger one for 25 dollars less. No problem. I didn't like being ripped off.
I will sometimes this summer likely purchase an aluminet or two. But during the build so many other priorities for funds. Of course the heat will accelerate my desire to get the sliding mount for my window unit AC finished. I have all the parts for that job but have not fabricated the panel that goes around the front of the AC to close up the open window section.

Sofisintown said:
I am trying to affix paneling to the van walls with self-tapping screws after I drilled a small hole on the metal and
the screws are breaking.
Back to Youtube for some education.
It turns out that a self-tapping and a self-drilling screw is not the same item. My bad.
Another trip to Home Depot, shell some extra cash.

78 degrees outside, the van is an oven, and my ignorance is humbling...

Cheers fellows!
I had a difficult time with the screws. I went to HD several times because I had the wrong ones and the workers weren't very knowledgeable. 

I didn't know there was a difference between self tap and self drilling. I wanted self tapping sheet metal screws?  Maybe I wanted self drilling?.. I bought many and put them in only to discover that they had a head that wasn't flush..LOL  You would have thought I would have discovered that before sinking 3/4 of them. Had to remove them all and find flush screws.

Only the Lord knows what I ended up putting into the walls and floors.

I am still waiting for someone to publish "The Authoritative Van Build Guide."

82 in the Valley and no rain in the forecast.. FINALLY!