? for those experienced with dog training

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karl

Reaction score
A couple years ago I dog sat for a couple weeks- she(Kenzie) has been with me 24/7 since. :)
Kenz is a predominantly black Lab mix, 13, losing her sight and hearing, probably the best mannered canine I have ever met. She has been shuffled all over the country and from person to person- each with varying degrees of caring and knowledge, and she still is a great dog.

She , of coarse, loves the outdoors and never met a body of water she doesn't like. She travels with me to my worksites all year and depending on weather and location and customers spends varying time either outside watching me or waiting in the (climate controlled)  van. 

She loves people, and often other dogs, BUT-here comes the rub- when on a leash (which she is well skilled at), as on hiking trails or beach, where ever I feel it prudent...she becomes extremely aggressive toward other dogs, often to the shock of both dogs and people.

I am winter traveling again for the first time since she has been with me, and will be wanting to spend time with old friends at some gatherings but am concerned about her behavior. I am hoping for insight and possible remediation of the only issue I have with her behavior, other than the obvious - keeping her away from other dogs when on a leash. 

Thanks

How is Kenz on voice commands?

Bribes?

It is going to take some work, both of you, with lots of praise for slight improvements.  

You can teach an old dog to stop using behavior.  It takes a constant conversation and voice control.  

You do not know what training she has had in the past... 

Good luck.  I miss my lab cross.

Our dog was very leash aggressive. It's getting better with small dogs over time and exposure to new dogs. But he is still veey aggressive with dogs larger than he is. Because he is stupid, I think. If you find the training secret, let me know.

if it's a neck collar you might want to try a proper chest harness,and make sure you are walking the dog not the dog walking you,if your dog is out front pulling you around then it is the leader and you are the follower and your opinion doesnt matter,you can correct this by simple stop walking and motion the dog to your side before walking again and eventually it will catch on and reverse the role to you being the leader

My Homer was once attacked while on leash and from then till the day he died he was leash aggressive--I could not train it out of him. He was NEVER aggressive before or after, except when on leash.

I was fortunate that as a boondocker he rarely had to be on leash so it wasn't much of a problem. But when he was on leash it ws bad.
Bob

I will be in my van with a German Shepherd full time within a few short weeks.  I am hoping it works out.  If he (Gunner) is in my van with the door shut or if he is on his 10 foot cable hooked to the side cargo door latch please don't get too close because he will bite you.  I don't know how to fix this.  He should at least look at me before he bites you.

If he is not on a leash or cable and running loose he is fine and obeys well with other people and around other dogs.

We adopted a senior yellow lab almost 4 years ago. She was somewhat aggressive toward people when she was on a leash. She had been tied in a yard and the owners moved away. They refused to return for her and she went to Animal Control for 10 weeks. I keep her on a traffic lead with a choke chain, you can get these that are mostly nylon and softer than the standard. If she starts to show inappropriate behavior, I tug it and say "no" firmly. This has worked pretty well.

One thing I learned is that I had to be the pack leader with the dogs (2nd is a chow-shepherd). If you are approaching another dog and you panic thinking your dog might become aggressive, the dog will pick it up in an instant and feel the need to defend. You need to be confident and pass that on to the dog. We were walking both dogs on lease and two pit bulls charged us and went after our dogs. I was glad I had the choke collars on them because the pits could not get their neck because ours are all chain. I also had a stun gun but not getting great contact. The whole time, neither of my dogs showed any aggression. I guess they thought protecting them was my job. It was a big job that day. After that they were fearful of going on the walks but we slowly overcame that.

Dogs feed off of the owner's emotions. I would get a collar that I could gently tug to redirect, tell the dog "no" and be confident that you can get this accomplished. Senior dogs become just like a lot of senior people since they realize that they aren't as able as they used to be to defend themselves if there is a problem. It is difficult when you don't know the history of the dog but just take baby steps, takes longer but worth it in the end.

For my rotty, it wasn't on leash that was the problem. It was people carrying big backpacks and people on hills above us. Gee whiz. She couldn't understand that they weren't giants. I got little treats from the pet store and carried them with me. Used them to distract her and to reward her when she didn't go batsh*t.

buckwilk said:
I like this guy and his tips. Give It a look and see if it helps.

He's the best isn't he? Such insight he has. I love the shows!

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate all of them and will try to address some of the thoughts/questions.

They confirm some of my hunches and after watching some of the videos, I realized that I am tensing and shortening the leash to counter her launching when I see another dog now. Those actions are likely contributing to her fears and making the problem worse.
If I see a dog on our path, I try to get off trail and have her sit while I kneel and talk to and stroke her - sometimes it seems to help, but not always. Those times when we are both surprised it gets ugly.

I had not thought of training videos and will continue searching those.

My hunch has been that she had attacked as the behavior is so  unlike her  normally docile self. Not sure if she is defending me or herself.

We have had visitors come to my house or shop(where she runs loose) and let their dogs loose without permission-(wtf?) and she takes it in stride with no more than a WTF? look to me.

Kenz is great on a leash- no tugging, very focused on my movements and leash based directives, her hearing is quite challenged and she only reacts to a whistle or sharp noise. Peripheral vision is fading, but she tries to compensate by scanning back and forth. She is good with hand signals when she can see me.  Off lead she follows or walks beside me, rarely wandering  and even then keeping me in sight and returning with only a hand motion.
Somebody spent time and trained her well at some point.

We don't interact with other dogs very often, so this may be something that we can't change, but sure would like to make it easier.
She gets on fairly well after an introduction, but sure makes a poor first impression when on lead..

The French Guy with a dog incident

I spend a lot of time at a small county park with a boat ramp beside the Matanzas River just south of Saint Augustine.  Most of the neighbors across the street know me and like watching my dog run and work so hard.  It has a beautiful view with my van broadside to the river.  I love this spot and would live there if I could.  You are suppose to leave at dusk if not boating or fishing however I always stay for the sunset and way past dark.  I have stayed all night but not normally.

I was sitting on the floor of the side bay doors looking out chilling and my dog loose on the ground in front of me drinking water.  It was well dark by then and virtually deserted or I thought deserted  and did not see the new guy walking his dog.  I noticed my dog slowly get up and walk toward the rear of my van.  He does that a lot and usually just walks all the way around the van and back which I call his perimeter check.

I always get up to make sure he is coming back around and he is usually back by the time I stand up.  By the time I stood up this time he was already close to the new dog walker and wanting to  sniff butt and introduce himself.  This guy starting freaking, spinning in circles and jerking  his dog's stretchy leash.  I said if you just stand still I would get my dog but he got his legs wrapped up in his own leash, tripped and fell down.

I said are you OK?  He got up and in a shaky French accent and a little mad said no and your dog is supposed to be on a leash.  By that time I already had my dog by the collar and he was sitting and being good.

About that time was when his dog pulled out from his own collar and was running loose jumping on my dog wanting to play.  This guy starts freaking again.  He had some type of tan colored dog only slightly smaller than my dog and it was a pup.  I am telling the guy it's not a vicious dog fight thing and his pup and my dog just wanted to play trying to calm him down as he was running around trying to catch his dog.

I think I may have apologized again and told him no one else is usually here this time of night.

I was almost afraid to go back to this park the next night because the possibility of a call to Animal Control.

It is one of my favorite spots with a big field for dog Frisbee so I have been back every day and have not seen Animal control or this guy again.

Bob Dickerson said:
Maybe use a shock collar?I won't tolerate an aggressive dog.

I have one of the Einstein Remote collars and love it.  The dog loves it too.  As soon as he sees it he knows major fun is coming.  Suppose to reach out to a mile.

Only use shock rarely, mostly just vibrate to get his attention.  It is not always on when needed. My dog is a rescue and 99% better than when I got him.

A see!ker, I'm reminded of when my ivy was just a few months old. She was harassing Gunner to no end. He didn't know what to do to get some peace so he sat on her. She yelped and screamed like she was being killed.

She sounds like a great dog and I think once she realizes what is expected that she will comply. I just can't imagine how confusing it has to be for a dog to go from home to home with different rules. I mean, imagine ourselves in that position and she is an older girl. I have someone that I get advise from and she is pretty good so I'll send a pm on her. She works with a pet supply house that I order from and has saved many a dog from being put down.

All dogs basically want to make their human happy.
Keep letting her know what behavior you don't like and she'll come around. Don't forget to give her lots of praise when she does good too !

rvpopeye said:
All dogs basically want to make their human happy.
Keep letting her know what behavior you don't like and she'll come around. Don't forget to give her lots of praise when she does good too !

My dog skipped that part of the instruction manual. He thinks it's our job to please him.

Do you let it sleep in your bed and/or share your food with it?
If so , you're just another member of the pack , not the leader.
Makes all the difference.

Snowgypsy- You're right about how confusing and painful it must be to have been shuffled around- the part of the story that I have heard starts with her in a shelter in Portland Oregon, moving to WA, CA then VT(by plane) MN, NYC, VT. Several of the moves involved a different person to care for her.
She was alone 14 hrs a day with someone not qualified when I made the decision that she deserved better in her senior years.

I can't emphasis enough how good she is, just this one quirk. Amazing considering .....

rvpopeye- you're right dogs do want to please, and too many people are not qualified to be entrusted with a dog. Being the leader is key, and that doesn't have to mean force or anger.
Physical or verbal rewards for positive behavior are way more beneficial than negative for negative.

Kenzie has her bed, her food, a schedule, exercise, boundaries and rules. Doesn't mean I care less for her, I think it means I care about her.

gcal- dogs, like people, will take advantage if allowed to.

Latest posts