? for those experienced with dog training

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for my use of "certified" dog trainer, service dog trainer etc.  Most trainers do NOT know how to pick out and train for tasks necessary to an individual who has disabilities.  Like I said, mine does train service dogs, has experience, but never for hearing ear guide dog...I was telling him how to train dogs for various needs in that area, and he was quite attentive and qualified (and elated when he taught his own dog to get him for the front door bell and smoke alarm he even recorded it to show me) ....   But yeah, there's no national certification program for them either but it's very important they know what they're doing.

http://www.anythingpawsable.com/how-does-someone-become-a-service-dog-trainer/#.WBJe0CR2A2w

I just saw an ad here about not having a dog pee or poo inside... I hope it's ok to post this here rather than begin a new thread...

If you get a new dog, even an older one but especially a puppy... don't free feed it... but be disciplined and feed, water and then (in the case of a puppy or small dog) immediately pick the puppy up and take it outside to the grass. (Or to the pee mat if that's all he'll have)

Don't allow the dog to roam the house freely. Keep him in a right sized cage (I like soft cages but...) dogs will only pee or poo where they sleep if they are sick and can't control it. When you take them out, take them outside (carry a puppy)...

If you do this consistently, by the 3rd day he will be housebroken... well it has always worked for me and those who did it.;)

Shame that approach doesn't work for 3 year old human children...

KASibson said:
Shame that approach doesn't work for 3 year old human children...

Children are not pets, but individuals that appreciate being treated as equals.

Wanna play fetch?

f2fab72badbc01173581c2e7adff416c.jpg

Attachments

• f2fab72badbc01173581c2e7adff416c.jpg
    f2fab72badbc01173581c2e7adff416c.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 4
karl said:
I am winter traveling again for the first time since she has been with me, and will be wanting to spend time with old friends at some gatherings but am concerned about her behavior. I am hoping for insight and possible remediation of the only issue I have with her behavior, other than the obvious - keeping her away from other dogs when on a leash. 

Thanks

Hi Karl, I was a full time professional dog trainer for abut 15 years. I gave it up when TV trainers (giving terrible advice) began sabotaging the efforts of real, live, trainers like myself. It got to be very frustrating, and the one-size-fits-all "dominance" paradigm ruined many a poor dog who needed an expert, not a showman. That said, there are a myriad of reasons for leash aggression, especially in an older female, which by nature is going to be less tolerant of slights and impolite dog behavior/approaches. I take it she has not caused any injuries, so I'd guess her "attacks" are exaggerated warnings to other "rude" or potentially rude dogs when she is on leash and therefore unable to escape the molestations of exuberant, younger dogs. She may have decided ALL dogs approaching on leash are to be told off good before they can annoy or jump on her.

If your main trouble is "leash aggression" on hiking trails, you could try a trick I have used for years -- I use it for ALL dogs I walk and my own, too. The reason I do what I'm going to tell you is that I never know what the temperament is going to be of a dog I'm approaching on a trail. Is it friendly, does it want my dog approaching it? I have no idea, so I have trained my dogs to ignore passing people, dogs, bikes, etc unless I tell them it's OK to approach. This is incredibly easy to do with a dog who already wants to be left alone, like yours. Also, if a dog is food-motivated more so than socially motivated (many are) it is easy to train this, too. Again, I would bet that your old gal just wants some control over who she meets on leash and feels threatened and confined on leash, and is going way out of her way to warn "young punks" away. Obviously, this is my best guess based on experience: in order to really know, I'd have to talk with you about the history and how you have tried to fix the issue so far. Dogs remember every interaction and we can mistakenly make problems worse sometimes without meaning to.

I carry a little pouch of dog jerky sticks or something better than dry biscuits. I first train the dog to respond to its name out on the trail, using tiny pieces of the treats as a reward. I might do 100-200 repetitions on an hour hike to start with. I train the dog to follow me off the side of the trail, and to sit and wait and look at me (and get lots of reinforcement, praise and little treat pieces) as the other party passes by. When first training this, your dog must learn that approaching others on leash is not an option. It's also MUCH easier to train this if you go off the side of the trail rather than staying in the middle or worse, continuing to approach the other party coming at you.

Here is pretty much what this looks like: 

This trainer uses clicker training, but a simple "good!!" or "yes!!" and a treat will work almost as well....if you have good timing and are generous. (I like the trainer "Training Positive" whose video is linked there...)

Check out some more of his videos about teaching attention with distractions, etc. 

I agree with another poster that a harness is better than a collar, particularly for leash-aggression in an older dog. You can move away from something without choking your dog and pissing it off even more. Just a note: pinning down a dog, especially a dog in an aggressive state is DANGEROUS and can get you injured!! That is why those TV trainers who recommend this (for the drama value, I guess) have warnings all over the screen to NOT DO THIS AT HOME. Sadly, people DO do it at home, and I have seen many a screwed-up dog that was mishandled in this way. Good luck!!

Every Road Leads Home said:
I don't think there is any need to bite, choke or "hump" a dog to show you're the alpha male.  Consistency and a short amount of time and the dog will know you're the alpha.

Thank you! Here is a dose of reality although people seem to enjoy drama and make-believe, it's more exciting ....smh. Here is  wildlife biologist David Mech, the world's foremost wolf expert....  http://www.davemech.org/news.html

The alpha wolf theory will probably never die because it's one of those sticky ideas that gets repeated and passed on as fact. 

Respect and good behavior is gained through clarity, consistency, and fairness. That goes for parents, bosses, and dog owners. My two cents, take it or leave it.

Well it's OT but for children, maybe a sitter who has others who are trained... one child who was not trained at home came home the first day after being in a group of children herded into the bathroom together... came home a "big boy" sigh?

I definitely go with the positive rewards. I've had a real issue with my dog wanting to be alpha lately (I think he got the idea from this thread!) He will always respond when on leash, so I've had to put him on leash in the fenced backyard just to get him to come in. He isn't out there alone, I'm always with him, btw. But I let him out without leash and he would. not. come. in. with me. I finally clapped my hands and ran him around until he needed water and he came in. The next day, the same thing...but he thought it was a new game (ooops) so I picked up a light plastic seat and ran him, half chasing, half blocking his way and he finally came in with me. Two days later ... off leash...would not come in with me... I picked up the seat....and he ran right into the house. Sigh. Training with fear is not what I desire!

I treat him when he "come" s... and often do this throughout the day, in the house and while out on leash... but when he's off leash? It's often a stare down. (My other dogs would lose the staredown and acquiesce. This one? Nope.) Must be the full poodle attitude?

I don't plan on letting him off leash once we're in the van...but I sure wish I had him trained to always be with me, come if he's off... and respect me and trust me fully. He turns 3 in December...and improving weekly...but ? Gotta buy another bag of treats.

You might have a perpetual puppy with that one..............

Does this happen ONLY when she's on a leash? If so, she may have been chained at some point in her life, and attacked by mobile dogs. She may see a leash as confinement, where she can't fight back. If possible, could you let her free on those trails or beaches for a bit, and see if she has the same reaction?

You may need professional help with this.

No, other way 'round. He is perfect on leash or harness. Perpetual puppy. lol All my dogs have puppy in them forever! But that is it! He was the runt of the litter and it wasn't his fault. He's just sweet and all the other dogs must have run to eat and ate all the food and he didn't get any...then because he wasn't eating he was slow so they picked him up and carried him everywhere..

I rescued him when he was 3 months old and only 10lbs. Long story. BUT he could be 6 months behind... yep!

So it's up to me. I began basic training last night with "come" and a treat--on leash ...and off inside... excessively. He knows what to do he has just really been stubborn. So this morning outside, on leash running around playing frisbee, fetch chasing lizards... he'd come and begin barking AT me. New method of taking control? I think we worked through that. And more on "come"....

I spent time yesterday stringweeding the yard and am really stiff today.. and after all that outside this morning, I could barely move. He came when I called and though he didn't have his harness on I wrapped the leash about his belly and with his collar and he "braced" for me to get up from the seat, and slowly walked me to the house. When we got to the short step to the house I began to step up, as he did with one paw...but I had the wrong foot (up with the good down with the bad) and he held his position, paw on step and waited for me to change.

So he does know to work well and be good. It must be me. ;)

The original question/post is almost a year old. The OP hasn't been on the forum since August and hasn't responded to this thread since April

:D So I guess the OP won't mind... :D

Doggie is coming around nicely... it WAS/IS me (of course)... I realized I have been giving him control, not just in what I shared, but also when he would play "keep away" with the frisbee and it was too much to demand it; but even as we sat on the loveseat to watch tv, he would all but lie on top of my lap (he's a standard poodle remember)... and then at night in the bed... and then he had begun trying to stand on my foot (another tactic of alpha dog)... I have to pay attention with this one ;) and carry many treats to remind him I am the alpha dog (if he wants to eat.) :D

Cammalu said:
He's the best isn't he?  Such insight he has.  I love the shows!

Cesar Millan is actually not the best. In fact, the American Human Society does not condone his methods. There are many other trainers who use positive reinforcement instead of fear and bullying tactics (and, I've seen him in my neighborhood *training* dogs--I wouldn't hire him). Consider this if you love your dog: http://bit.ly/2fPMigO

I do enjoy Milan but agree he isn't the best I've met (though he does seem to be the most famous...and does indeed save the lives of many dogs by training the owners :D) But then... I'm not in the situation when he decides he has to use say, a pinch collar... you know? The first airplane flight I took with my very first service dog I had a pinch collar on him because it was a new situation for both of us and I knew that making sure I would have complete control to keep him safe was imperative. I never needed it.

I think for some dogs, the save their lives, desperate measures are called for....

As for my doggie he's coming 'round nicely. I wrenched my back and am in dire straits ... it used to be a daily issue but this is the first in nearly a year I've been so disabled with it... he must have heard it in my voice when I called him to help me from the outside seat... no harness .. and he led me into the house... thinking it was a passing spasm I later found myself up and about in the kitchen when I could not move...and again he must have heard my pain in my "....Come!" and he dutifully came.. and helped me find my back brace and HIS harness... and all night he assisted me perfectly to get in and out of bed etc. Maybe he just really does best when he's working! :D

Latest posts