Non-motorized nomads

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a fun one: "This man is traveling the world on non-motorized transport" (CNN, June 19).
He even used a pogo stick for a stretch (I'm guessing not a very long stretch).

(There was another one recently about a guy doing something similar, using land vehicles but not airplanes -- not really relevant to this thread. But one thing I noticed about both is that, while they enjoyed what they were doing and were happy that they'd done it, both had long stretches that they really hated -- it was no teddy bear's picnic. A nice note of realism! Bad days are not a deal-breaker.)

Last edited:
I've roughed out this sketch of "JACK". He looked a little like Chuck Connors (The Rifleman) and Uncle Jed (of the Beverly Hillbillies)
You can barely see JACK written on his tie. Basically what the man looked like.

So if you were casting this character for a film, this would be close to what he looked like. Long hair on the back of his neck but the rest of it was well kempt as with his beard. Probably 6' 3" with a Top Hat that made him look something like Abraham Lincoln.

JACK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a fun one: "This man is traveling the world on non-motorized transport" (CNN, June 19).
He even used a pogo stick for a stretch (I'm guessing not a very long stretch).

A Pogo Stick?? Jeez, I'd think in a couple of miles one'd probably have the beginnings of a severe concussion. Seems to me I recall from childhood (maybe something from Acme Corporation, our ol' pal Wile E. Coyote's supplier?) shoes that had 3-inch semi-heavy compression springs between the shoe and sole that allowed one to put some spring in their step. I'd think that'd be less cranially damaging.
(hmmm...I'm retired and have time. I could try making a pair of those and report back to you.)
(or it could be you can buy 'em ready-made. have to Google that one.)