Fairness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwilk

Reaction score
Rules, got to have them. They mean nothing if not applied fairly across the board. First rule should be, who are the moderators? Disagree with a post by a mod and you are banned? Disagree with Bob and you are banned? People say here regularly, "I don't want to be banned." Think you are getting any true input? Not likely. I had a post on the thread about the Mt. Lion attack. Disappeared, not obscene, or out of line in any way. Gone, ?

TMG51 saw the post I did in cougar thread, wasn't offended and asked me why it was deleted. I'll tell you why, it upset someone who is a mod here. Someone with no sense of humor. Humor is a rare thing on this board, and that is sad!

privately owned forum,don't like it your free to start your own

i have had a few post deleted and my warning level is at 0%,seems fair enough to me

So 68, you are here because you don't want anything to be posted that the mods don't agree with, including your thoughts? I'm sorry, life isn't that simple.

buckwilk I saw your post. I took it as humor, I guess someone didn't. while I agree the PC police are ruining this country, I also agree that we must all play by the rules of this forum. I have had my hand slapped on more than a couple of occasions, live with it. just the other day I had a post deleted I couldn't figure out why. then I notice it was in the girls room, oops, I had no problem with my post being removed. sorry ladies. I replied from the "view todays posts" and didn't noticed it was the girls room. what I am trying to say is, don't take it personal, it happens. highdesertranger

nope,i joined because i thought i could help with some mechanical issues but there are pro/ex-pro's here so i post rigs for sale and b.s. with people

I guess most of us have been in the dog house here from time to time. Nope, not always fair. But, as my mother taught us, life isn't always fair.

Bobs private website, and his rules.  

I do not agree 100% of the time, and have posts edited or removed.  

Life goes on.  

If I get my feelings hurt, I stop posting until I can play nice.   :blush:

You can disagree with Bob.  He likes a honest debate, but stay on topic and be honest with the facts.  Sometimes agree to disagree. 

If one out of 100 vanishes,in my opinion, I have been basically good. 

Avoid being political, mean, or insulting.  You will do fine.  I get in trouble mostly by being either off topic, or too direct.  We have a lot of different people on here who have had rough lives.  

As my college mentor always said, BE KIND.   :cool:

while I agree the PC police are ruining this country,   highdesertranger

____

Boy, are they ever! We are all turning into delicate, thin skinned little flowers who believe that we will wilt and die if we are exposed to an idea thàt disagrees with our own. We only feel safe when we are in a cozy bubble of unquestioning support and never challenged to take a hard look at what we think to see if it makes sense.

gcal said:
while I agree the PC police are ruining this country,   highdesertranger I also agree that we must all play by the rules

____

Boy, are they ever! We are all turning into delicate, thin skinned little flowers who believe that we will wilt and die if we are exposed to an idea thàt disagrees with our own. We only feel safe when we are in a cozy bubble of unquestioning support and never challenged to take a hard look at what we think to see if it makes sense.

At least this is not degrading into a sewer of insults and political garbage.  

I was a moderator on several political websites 8 years ago.   :mad: :dodgy: :huh:

Not pretty.  Filled with hate spewing trolls.  I like it here where I occasionally am told to tone it down.   :blush:

As a moderator for this forum, I just want to say thanks for all the support in this thread.

We really do try hard not to over moderate.

Thanks again, friends

But from a pure entertainment viewpoint, flame wars can be fun to watch, even for those of us who don't care enough to participate in them. :p

I agree without the occasional flame war, forums get boring, it is nice to have a few wild cards amongst the group to keep things real. I must admit I enjoy watching the odd battle now and then. The moderators on this site usually don't let it get too crazy before they shut it down so you have to be fast to see the action before it is deleted.

I tend to dislike confrontations and bad attitudes. Rational discussions using logic and without high emotions are so much better. I enjoy smart aleck or funny remarks, if they aren't done to belittle or hurt someone.
The first time that I joined this board, I got mocked for a question about doing stealth in cities. "Oh, stealth is sooo stupid! The police know anyway. Just park anywhere you want and don't hide that you are living in your vehicle!" And so on. Very unhelpful and actually rude.
I didn't come back for a year. I don't mind a difference of opinion but have no patience for mocking or offensive remarks.
I gave it another try because I really did want to connect with folks living the van life. And for the most part, have noticed a pretty civil tone to the discussions. I don't mind the moderation. It's not done to cause group-think or to create a safe place for the easily offended. It's to keep people on the subject being discussed and dialing down any rudeness or uncomfortable behavior.
Personally, if I enjoyed conflict, I'd probably get married. But I don't.

GotSmart said:
At least this is not degrading into a sewer of insults and political garbage.  

I was a moderator on several political websites 8 years ago.   :mad: :dodgy: :huh:

Not pretty.  Filled with hate spewing trolls.  I like it here where I occasionally am told to tone it down.   :blush:

(Shrug) I can do really high level belligerent when there is a good reason, but there isn't much reason, here. There are people here that I strongly disagree with and there are people who I think just post clickbait because they like the drama. I have better things to do than get involved with them.

I am 76 years old. I have had enough stress in my life time and don't need any more , including flame wars, nasty comments etc on any forum I choose to follow.. I have had my feelings hurt many times by nasty comments over the years (not on this forum) and I am sure I have also hurt many people with some of my remarks. Maybe I am just getting soft as I get older or could just be that I have seen so much unnecessary hurt in my lifetime it has taken its toll..
Point being, it doesn't hurt any one by being PC but it may hurt by not being PC. It cost absolutely nothing to be nice where as it could easily cost the forum to loose some valuable knowledge and good friends. I enjoy a good humorous comment or a funny light hearted jab once in a while but it is up to the mods to know when it has gone too far and I am happy to put my trust in them.
The mods are doing a great job. Great forum Bob . Keep up the good work.

Another Bob

^
I guess there is PC and there is PC. There is tasteless and vulgar and deliberately hurtful,  and there is trying to suppress dissenting opinions because you don't like them.

I think forums require a certain level of restriction since certain people may not know each other in real life. The anonymous nature of forums can illustrate the vitriolic behavior or personality of some members. The moderators that perform a good job, from my personal perception, require the ability to assess the tone and the meaning of post with relation towards the larger discussion. This requires that a moderator act in a proactive manner while they avoid any proclivity towards zealous ferocity in moderating potentially senstive topics. I believe the fundamental rule of all members involves the need to act kindly towards others unless a situation warrants otherwise.

Iggy said:
Personally, if I enjoyed conflict, I'd probably get married. But I don't.

You are my new Hero. ::)  That made my day!

But, I tend to like the vibe here and think flame wars are completely ridiculous. Sometimes things get shut down way too soon but I prefer that to a constant flame fest like so many other forums.

I had a thread I started closed by Bob. I suspect because of something I said was interpreted differently than I intended. After rereading it, I see how I could have written my intentions with more clarity. Sure felt bad about that because I don't want to say things that are harmful. Not sure if he closed the thread mostly because of what I wrote or because it could have went sideways quickly.

Even though Bob himself closed that thread, I don't feel he is overly harsh or unfair. To me he has encouraged an environment where I am able to bring up topics that most people would tease me about or ignore. I don't feel unfairly inhibited. Politics, swearing, personal attacks, off topic, etc., I do feel inhibited, but for good reason; there are other forums for that. For courteously written threads relating to cheaprvliving, then not much inhibition.

When I was in college, I had an instructor that was my second favorite one overall. She was popular. I had a classmate that disliked her and had little good to say about her. Never could understand why my classmate had such a problem with her. Sometimes things don't mesh well for whatever reason; when that happens it isn't necessarily anyone's fault. Sad, but hopefully, no hard feelings in the end.

Miscommunication happens and most everyone here seems to take that into account. Out of all the forums I've experienced, this one has been the best. Findmall is another good one, but still not as good as this one.