New guy from NC here!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H868436

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
First off, I want to thank Bob for his YouTube videos which is how I found this site! Spent almost all day today watching these videos during slow times at work, which today was very slow! I have always been a fan of minimalist living, (Walden by Thoreau had a HUGE influence on my life!) and I have been looking at the tiny/micro house movement for a very long time, and have always wanted to take that plunge, but the cost to get started, and the legal issues always put the brakes on that idea. For some reason, while I was "daydreaming" of a tiny/micro house and looking for plans for a small house online, and looking up what some others have done and posted on YouTube, I ran across Bob's video "Beautiful Astro Minivan Build for Vanlife - Great Living in a Beautiful Astro Minivan Build-Out" (link to this video if you have not seen it: ) and I knew that I had found the way! Since I have an old 1999 Astro cargo van, listening to Bob and Richard talk about this really got me excited! So I spend the next few hours watching the videos[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font] (still "watching" some as I am registering on the site and typing this) and learning a BUNCH of what and how I need to go about making this a reality!
A little about me: My name is Jeff, I'm 54 years old, and I am currently in a bad marriage and am looking for a way out. I know that a lot of guys would have a hard time admitting this, but it is rough being mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically abused by my wife. This has been going on for the past three years of my ten year marriage. Everything started out good, but I slowly found out why I was my wife's third husband. But not going to get hateful on her because I read the rules for the forum! LOL! I am still working as a Call Center technician, and thanks to Covid 19, I have been working from home since March of 2020. As of October, the company I work for has decided to make my position a permanent "work from home" one, and since all I need to have to be able to work is internet access and the company laptop and screens, I am free to go anywhere I want. 
I have been involved in the automotive and small engine fields since I started working way back in the 1980's, and even longer than that if you count the summers that I worked for my Dad in his shop starting when I was about 10 years old. My Dad is also involved in motorsports and has been for over 60 years now, mostly Drag Racing. I still love that, but I can't afford to go Drag Racing, so I scaled my motorsports down to racing karts. Since I race at tracks all over the United States, I ended up getting the Astro and using this as my kart hauler, and I would camp out at the race tracks when I went racing, and always loved this freedom. Since the amount of karts that I have has gone up from just the one kart to now having seven (anyone want to buy a racing kart?), and they don't all fit into the Astro, and I have been planning on getting a utility trailer to haul the karts in, and turn the Astro into more of a camper style vehicle since this is the main purpose for the van. Of course, seeing the videos about using a cargo trailer instead of a travel trailer has given me quite a few ideas also! Thanks Bob!
I'm wondering if there are any other people that have purchased land and use this like a base camp for an address and to store items that you normally don't take with you on the road. This is something that I have thought about doing, possibly putting up a small building to store the karts and other parts, but also to have a "permanent" address. I know that I am going to have to look at the laws on where I decide to put up a "permanent" address, like zoning laws and so on, but I would really appreciate any advice I can get on this area also. 
I know that I am slightly different than some people that are involved in Vanlife in that this is a decision that I am WANTING to make and not being forced to make due to being out of a job, being homeless, or having no other option. My heart really goes out to these people! Another reason that I am more than happy to help out anywhere that I am able, because I have been there before, and but for the grace of God, I am not in that position now. I also love the idea of being able to travel around this wonderful country of ours to be able to see the sights, experience life in other areas, and to learn about the rich history of America from a first hand experience!
I know, I have written a book here, but I just wanted to introduce myself, and give an explanation of why I am here, and what I am hoping to accomplish. Sorry that I have rattled on, but I am excited that I have found this forum and Bob's YouTube channel and have finally found a way to make my dreams come true! Can't wait to meet some of the great people on the site and looking forward to learning a lot, and it looks like I have TONS of material to go over!
Thanks!
Jeff

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums  :)

Don't worry about "rattling on" many of us do when we find the CRVL website/forum and realize what a new lease on life it could be for them.  Sorry to hear about your divorce but you can check Bob's video, "Without Bound" and hear his story if you haven't already. (it's what lead to the creation of this site/movement)

As for a trailer,  you can shop around and even find a used Horse trailer for your cart & tools.  They are quite durable.

As for buying land for a home base,  why not consider registering in a state that doesn't have an income tax (South Dakota, Texas, Florida, Tennessee, and a few others)  and getting a remail service there and using their address.  You can set things up where they can open your mail, scan it an email it to you anywhere.  In South Dakota you only have to spend one night in a motel to be a resident and take your receipt to the "remail service" to set up an account, get a po box there, and then go over to the License Bureau to get your drivers license.  Then go register to vote using the remaler's address as your own.  Thus you will have an address, a PO Box, License, and be registered to vote making you a legal resident.

Then, unless you are just wanting land, property taxes, and worries associated with absentee ownership,  you can just live on the road.  Move north in the spring to cooler weather and snow bird in the winter.  Since you don't have to go into the office your working from home/rig could be great.

And please check out the two links at the bottom of this post.  The bottom one is a portal with links to remail services.

Bob's "Without Bound" :

Without Bound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg37Cbx-kakEducation & Skills needed to work online from your rig

Welcome H868436 To the forum and to the lifestyle. My first rig was a GMC Safari van very simple build and I used it for over 10 years part timing but that was very heavy part timing. When I decided to go full time I thought I had to stand up so I got a dodge conversion van and build it out which is where I’m at now. I see you’re an East Coast or so am I originally from Pennsylvania now in Florida for the weather maybe our paths will cross. By the way the great majority of the people you’ll find on this forum were not forced into this economically but went because we like to travel and like to be independent. Of course this is the cheap way to travel and be independent but what I’m saying is those who lost their job and have nothing else are the Minority. So again welcome we’re glad to hear from you keep coming back and let us know how it’s going.

Start researching mobile internet access. It is possible, but there are a few extra steps to it. Mostly you need to know what your minimum requirements for speed and availability are, then the amount of data you will need. I live on the edge of a major metro area in winter, but I have Tonto Natl Forest on 2 sides of me and connectivity is sometimes intermittent. I got a directional antenna and Weboost and I have to decide which of my services to aim the antenna for as when one works, the other is iffy.

Unlimited data is not too difficult to find. Visible is one of the ones I use. My T-Mobile also has unlimited data but used as a hotspot I only get 15G. My weekly zoom call with friends takes at least 4G. The take away here is that sometimes it all isn't as simple as it sounds. When the TMobile works it is the better one, but is more expensive. The visible is only $25/mo and is where I aim the antenna now.

If you NEED data as opposed to just wanting it and you plan to travel it is best to have more than one service. I have the two already listed as well as an AT&T hotspot. That one is currently on loan to my 90yo Mom as while staying with her while my RV was being worked on I got her back to enjoying internet and don't have the heart to take it back.

Just some more of the things to think about.